Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

• 2 weeks later...

The Foxes have what looks like a bright outlook after winning the Championship and having their debts wiped out by their owners

Leicester-City.jpg
Leicester City fans on their recent promotion parade

On May 12 2013, Leicester City’s season ended in agonising fashion when they missed a last minute penalty which would have put them ahead in their play-off semi-final tie with Watford ... and then saw their opponents break away and, within seconds, score the goal which took them to Wembley instead.

I doubt very much whether Cardiff City fans celebrating their side’s return to the top flight after an absence of more than 50 years gave more than a fleeting thought at the time to Leicester’s misfortune.

But less than a year on, I would say Bluebirds followers should be envying the Foxes. I use the word envy because while Cardiff fans have to come to terms with a relegation which saw their club fail miserably to reach Premier League standards on or off the pitch, Leicester succeeded City as champions of the second tier and racked up 15 more points than we managed in doing so.

However, it’s not just the difference in divisions the two clubs will be playing in next season that is a cause for jealousy in Cardiff.,

It’s also the contrast in attitude between what we have become used to under Vincent Tan and what the Leicester fans have seen from their owners from the same part of the world as him.

While we turn out in a kit which has been foisted on us because it’s supposedly lucky, Leicester still wear the blue and white kit in the Premier League that they’ve adorned for more than a century.

If there was any thought given to “re-branding” the club for the Premier League push, Leicester’s Thai owners were sensible enough to realise that it would create far more harm than good.

relegation
View gallery

I’m not going to dwell on our change of kit and badge here though because it’s not the main reason for my comparison with Leicester.

No, its main relevance is that it points towards the matter which seems to me to make Leicester far more likely to make a better fist of Premier League football than Cardiff managed.

Today is the second anniversary of the re-branding plans entering the public domain when they were leaked on a couple of Cardiff City messageboards.

It really is two years since the storm broke, as club employees tried to reassure supporters of the golden future City had if they accepted the change to red.

Remember those four pledges? Substantial investment in the team, expansion of the stadium, new training facilities and a conversion of the club’s debt into equity.

Well, to be fair to Vincent Tan, he’s delivered on the first two (although the decision to extend the Ninian Stand looks even more misguided than it did when the plans were approved at the start of this season).

As for the other two, they are certainly taking their time about the new training complex, but it does seem that the process is ongoing.

Sadly, there is little to indicate that the same can be said about the debt to equity swap.

To me at least, this was the most important of those four pledges and the reason why I (and many others I would guess) were initially willing to accept the rebrand.

Contrast the lack of action at Cardiff with what happened at Leicester just before Christmas when chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha announced that the club’s debt of around £103 million had effectively been wiped out – the large majority of this figure being in the form of loans made to the club by Mr Srivaddhanaprabha and his company King Power.

It needs to be said, of course, that while Cardiff City have been in the full glare of the media spotlight for a year, the same cannot be said of Leicester. Maybe a year out of that spotlight will see views change on Mr Tan, but I’m not holding out too much hope.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paul-evans-cardiff-city-fans-7080458?

To be fair the majority in that have actually been very honest.

Some decent post in there. As expected though there are a few idiots, a bit like on here really.

I would bite your hand off for 17th mind, but I honestly think with 4/5 quality additions we could do a bit better.

Some very complimentary comments from Doncaster fans about the weekend's match here.

"Best experience of opposition fans I've ever had"

Nice.

I particularly like and agree with the last two paragraphs

Whilst I think that the Leicester fans have been very gracious in relegating us etc, I have to say that on the whole, I thought they were disappointing on Saturday. 

It was billed as this massive celebration day and the atmosphere was flat as a pancake in the home ends for the vast majority of the game, it picked up when the news that Bolton had scored filtered around the ground but aside from the occasions where we were going mental in the away end, I thought that they were pretty flat. The guys to our left were trying to make a good go of it but the rest of the ground may as well have stayed at home at times.

It tends to happen on these occasions, you get loads of day trippers who just want to go and wave their flags and see the team lift the trophy despite having only seen a handful of games during the season. They don't really end up contributing much.

At least we speak english. 'I would OF bitten your hand off....'. There, their and they're inexorably mixed up and confused. Illiterate northern tw@ts.

Erm... A sentence involving the words "pot", "kettle" and "black" comes effortlessly to mind here, Steve.

This forum (as with every other one I read) is littered with confusions of your/you're, its/it's, their/there and countless other grammatical errors. Mind you, that first post on the Oatcake thread is a classic.

And are they northern?

Edited by LanguedocFox
  • Like 1

They act like every football forum in the country. Someone posts something bitter, people agree or disagree. I think most seem quite nice to us.

I havent even seen anyone post about us being top 10, that is quite deluded.

I did laugh at when someone said about our owners spending money whilst thai people starve. I mean what has that got to do with it, people in parts of England starve.

Edited by lgfualol

Erm... A sentence involving the words "pot", "kettle" and "black" comes effortlessly to mind here, Steve.

This forum (as with every other one I read) is littered with confusions of your/you're, its/it's, their/there and countless other grammatical errors. Mind you, that first post on the Oatcake thread is a classic.

And are they northern?

I think SteveHerbe was refering to this post:

" Its there arroance really mate. When we were promoted id of bit your hand off for 17th but they seem to think they are a top 10 team with there current.."

Guest ttfn

The key difference between us and Stoke on promotion is that they scraped up by the skin of their teeth on 80 points. We got over 100. No wonder we're more confident than they were.

If we stay up for as long as they have, with a cup final and European campaign it'll be brilliant.

I think SteveHerbe was refering to this post:

" Its there arroance really mate. When we were promoted id of bit your hand off for 17th but they seem to think they are a top 10 team with there current.."

Yes, that is rather spectacular isn't it.

They act like every football forum in the country. Someone posts something bitter, people agree or disagree. I think most seem quite nice to us.

I havent even seen anyone post about us being top 10, that is quite deluded.

I did laugh at when someone said about our owners spending money whilst thai people starve. I mean what has that got to do with it, people in parts of England starve.

The last four times a team went up with 100 points and their result the next season;

Newcastle (102) - Finished 1 point behind 10th.

Reading (106) - Finished 8th.

Fulham (101) - Finished 2 points behind 10th, in 13th.

Sunderland - Finished 7th.

I would happily accept survival next year, but there is very little to be scared of in that mid-table and no reason to suggest we can't - with a good season - finish in the top 10.

• Like 1

My favourite part is the Stoke fan claiming we play hoofball.

Did he say that bert? Doesnt he in effect say ' i hope they adopt hoofball to hear lineker's reaction'. Not quite the same

I thought it was a fairly measured thread with a few tossers in it and a few reasoned posters. Much like this place !

Yes, that is rather spectacular isn't it.

Not to mention depressing.

He appears to have invented his own simple language, entirely unemcumbered by such inconveniences as punctuation, syntax, and correct spelling.

I can only assume in-breeding is responsible.

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/230419/leicester-fans

Oh how I'd love to finish above Stoke and do the double over them.

Have you ever been to stoke??

Its the worst part of england I have ever visited...and ive been to coventry so thats saying something.

Dont like the place or the team and can see them struggling next season....sparky to suffer second season syndrome.