Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Wishing to sound sexist.... it's a female journo. The demographic most likely to know the least about football. Just be glad it didn't mention his killer smile.

To be fair, Louise Taylor is a regular football journalist for The Guardian, and probably knows more about football than most of us.

• Like 2

The media love an underdog story. Can't fault them - it had to be expected.

Peter Beagrie: the man who put the c*nt in Scunthorpe.

• Like 1

'given the finances'

**** off Beagrie.

For some reason every slither of limelight the press keep swiping from us and giving to Dyche, it's making me actually loathe all things Burnley. We (and by we I mean LCFC, and those in charge) have had to cut spending and play with a reduced squad, we've taken 4 points off Burnley, we've been promoted with 6 games to go and crowned champions with 2 games to go, beating many league and team records along the way. Give us the f***ing praise you dickheads.

No one mentioned Man City's spending when they won the PL a couple of years back, and they right took the piss with the finances.

There should be some interesting comments and banter on here if Dyche beats our beloved NP for Manager of the Year award!!! We win our next 2 and finish on 102 points and likely to finish 10 points in front of Burnley then there can realistically and deservedly be only one winner of that award given the records we have set this season compared to Burnley. I am sure the moaners on the Burnley forums will accuse us of buying that award if it happens!

PS Just read comments from the Huddersfield fans - hilarious!

To be fair, Louise Taylor is a regular football journalist for The Guardian, and probably knows more about football than most of us.

I wouldn't be so sure when looking at her Premier League Team of the Season - http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/apr/24/louise-taylor-premier-league-team-of-season

She has Mannone in goal! Even the most ill informed football fans would have Marshall as their clear no.1.

In fairness I think Dyche will get it. Probably deserved too. Not that I rate him more highly than Nige, he has just exceeded expectations more so than Nige has.

Exactly, no need for Dyche being an utter cock to actually cloud peoples minds on the brilliant job he has done there. I'm not having the "limited finances" stuff, they lost £7m last year FFS and have had years of parachute money etc. But, compare his budget to ours and it's no doubt a fair amount less.

There should be some interesting comments and banter on here if Dyche beats our beloved NP for Manager of the Year award!!! We win our next 2 and finish on 102 points and likely to finish 10 points in front of Burnley then there can realistically and deservedly be only one winner of that award given the records we have set this season compared to Burnley. I am sure the moaners on the Burnley forums will accuse us of buying that award if it happens!

PS Just read comments from the Huddersfield fans - hilarious!

Dyche will get the award and he probably shades Pearson given he lost his top player in the summer and has worked wonders with the current squad. I don't really have a problem with him getting the award.

But pundits like Beagrie seem to forget Pearson was encouraged to reduce our wage bill, get the high earners out and still achieve promotion, with serious pressure applied as soon as we had a difficult spell. Pearson has used the resources at his disposal fantastically well and deserves as much praise as Dyche for being so consistent this season.

Also, QPR, Wigan, Blackburn, Nottingham Forest have all spent money at a similar level and higher in the last couple of years, so it's not as though we've smashed divisional transfer records to put our squad together.

Edited by Corky

I am not alone: nice follow-up to my letter in today's edition of The Fiver:

"Well said Martyn Wilson about Leicester City (yesterday's letters). Furthermore, I had to endure 10 iPad 'pages' of Manchester Disunited 'in turmoil' after a bloke was fired from his job, with not one single paragraph about City. Leicester have had to endure the nonsense of 14 managers since they were last in the Premier League 10 years ago. Don't you just wish sometimes these Big Teams could just play with themselves" – Brian Wealthall.

"

There's no way of contacting Brian, but I hope he's an FT member.

• Like 1

Why is it we always favour the plucky underdog over a REAL winner in this country?  Its a mindset that has held us back. Nige won the league and should be honoured for it. we seem to secretly despise success,  no wonder England are shite.

Edited by johnny the fox

I wouldn't be so sure when looking at her Premier League Team of the Season - http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/apr/24/louise-taylor-premier-league-team-of-season

She has Mannone in goal! Even the most ill informed football fans would have Marshall as their clear no.1.

Mannone won their fans' player of the year award through his largely excellent performances since replacing Westwood. Marshall has been great, but I guarantee he has faced more shots than any other keeper this season and thus had more chances to make saves.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with her team, but writing her off because she is a woman is ignorant, sexist, and boring. 

Edited by egg_fried_rice
  • Like 1

Mannone won their fans' player of the year award through his largely excellent performances since replacing Westwood. Marshall has been great, but I guarantee he has faced more shots than any other keeper this season and thus had more chances to make saves.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with her team, but writing her off because she is a woman is ignorant, sexist, and boring. 

What a patently ridiculous statement. There was no sexist intent in what I wrote, I would have written the same had the author been male or female. And Mannone has been excellent, especially when he was chucking the ball in the net at the Ethiad the other week.

Bore off back to the PC Police.

I thought I saw a table somewhere where there was a percentage of the number of games in which a side had not scored since December or something. :blink: We had zero per cent. :D

Anyway we are top of that able to since Liverpool failed to score today. :D

Not sure if this is the right/best thread to post this, but here goes.

The Guardian do a daily football email called The Fiver - because it comes out at about 5 o'clock each day. It's actually very good, and often quite funny, although they do tend to concentrate a bit too much on the Prem for my liking. Among other features is a readers' letters section, of which more anon.

Anyway, when City got promoted at the beginning of April, there was absolutely no mention in The Fiver, yet last Tuesday they had a story about Burnley and the Ginger Mourinho: if you are interested, you can see it here (towards the bottom, under "Bits and Bobs"). The main story that day was about Moyes and Man U.

Later on that evening, after City beat Bolton to become Champions, I wrote a letter to the editor saying "Nice of you, on the day when The Most Important Football News Ever was announced, to mention Burnley getting promoted to the land of milk and honey. But might you also mention the fact that Leicester City got promoted as Champions tonight: given that you seem to have forgotten to mention the fact that we were promoted two weeks ago."

Soooo, when Wednesday's Fiver came out, I read through it to see if my letter had been published (there were no letters printed because of a "glitch") or, indeed, if there was any other mention of our record-breaking achievement and our dog-fighting manager. But again, no: there was absolutely nothing at all about City - not a sentence. Instead there was even more gobsh1te about Man U - lots more of it in fact.

Now, I'm a fairly mild-mannered person most of the time, but this really got up my nose, so I rattled off another letter to the editor expressing my irritation in quite pungent terms, as follows:

Dear god almighty

No, I don’t think you are: I think you are a d!ckhead. Today’s Fiver had a lead story about Moyes and Man United – to follow up yesterday’s ditto – followed by a quote of the day about Man United by one of their has-been players, followed by three still-want-more links about the same bunch of under-achieving nobodies. Oh, and no Fiver letters – presumably because it was inundated with readers asking why there had been so little coverage of Manchester Effin United.

Leicester City became Champions of the Championship last night. No, I know it doesn’t matter to you, because Manchester United were not playing. Just thought you might like to know.

No, I don’t expect this rant to win letter of the day. But I feel better about writing it.

Now, please, shut the fvck up about Manchester United: they are a second rate team, owned by a bunch of greedy barstewards.

Yours

And, fair play to them, they printed it almost word for word in yesterday's edition. Fame at last eh?

Haha, I read that at the time and wondered if it was anyone off here :D 

I live near Lesta, they have just had an injury free season and won a record amount of points in the process. 
You would think that they would be happy with that, and respectful of the manager that helped them to success. 

They are much happier with the fact they could delight in our plight, a team lost to injury and a manager that seemed to press the self destruct button. 
That is the mentality of most of the binners in my town, do you expect it to be any different in Dirby? 

It is no wonder the first reply you received was from some school kid, bored with playing in his bedroom and attempting to lick the paint from his lego bricks, then borrows his dad`s laptop and takes the time to create a membership to reply to you, you found respect alright. 

Lesta fans choose to ignore our injury`s in the same way they ignored the administration scam they pulled to be promoted to the PL last time. 

I will show them respect next season when they want Pearson replaced after 7/8 games, many are suggesting they are unsure if he is the right man for the prem already. 23.gif 

Respect is something you see little of in the tribal world of football.

Read more: http://forest.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27861&posts=18#ixzz307aiu4qZ

What a bitter Red dog.

I live near Lesta, they have just had an injury free season and won a record amount of points in the process. 

You would think that they would be happy with that, and respectful of the manager that helped them to success. 

They are much happier with the fact they could delight in our plight, a team lost to injury and a manager that seemed to press the self destruct button. 

That is the mentality of most of the binners in my town, do you expect it to be any different in Dirby? 

It is no wonder the first reply you received was from some school kid, bored with playing in his bedroom and attempting to lick the paint from his lego bricks, then borrows his dad`s laptop and takes the time to create a membership to reply to you, you found respect alright. 

Lesta fans choose to ignore our injury`s in the same way they ignored the administration scam they pulled to be promoted to the PL last time. 

I will show them respect next season when they want Pearson replaced after 7/8 games, many are suggesting they are unsure if he is the right man for the prem already. 23.gif 

Respect is something you see little of in the tribal world of football.

Read more: http://forest.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27861&posts=18#ixzz307aiu4qZ

What a bitter Red dog.

We're all on our own.