Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Not sure if this is the right/best thread to post this, but here goes.

The Guardian do a daily football email called The Fiver - because it comes out at about 5 o'clock each day. It's actually very good, and often quite funny, although they do tend to concentrate a bit too much on the Prem for my liking. Among other features is a readers' letters section, of which more anon.

Anyway, when City got promoted at the beginning of April, there was absolutely no mention in The Fiver, yet last Tuesday they had a story about Burnley and the Ginger Mourinho: if you are interested, you can see it here (towards the bottom, under "Bits and Bobs"). The main story that day was about Moyes and Man U.

Later on that evening, after City beat Bolton to become Champions, I wrote a letter to the editor saying "Nice of you, on the day when The Most Important Football News Ever was announced, to mention Burnley getting promoted to the land of milk and honey. But might you also mention the fact that Leicester City got promoted as Champions tonight: given that you seem to have forgotten to mention the fact that we were promoted two weeks ago."

Soooo, when Wednesday's Fiver came out, I read through it to see if my letter had been published (there were no letters printed because of a "glitch") or, indeed, if there was any other mention of our record-breaking achievement and our dog-fighting manager. But again, no: there was absolutely nothing at all about City - not a sentence. Instead there was even more gobsh1te about Man U - lots more of it in fact.

Now, I'm a fairly mild-mannered person most of the time, but this really got up my nose, so I rattled off another letter to the editor expressing my irritation in quite pungent terms, as follows:

Dear god almighty

No, I don’t think you are: I think you are a d!ckhead. Today’s Fiver had a lead story about Moyes and Man United – to follow up yesterday’s ditto – followed by a quote of the day about Man United by one of their has-been players, followed by three still-want-more links about the same bunch of under-achieving nobodies. Oh, and no Fiver letters – presumably because it was inundated with readers asking why there had been so little coverage of Manchester Effin United.

Leicester City became Champions of the Championship last night. No, I know it doesn’t matter to you, because Manchester United were not playing. Just thought you might like to know.

No, I don’t expect this rant to win letter of the day. But I feel better about writing it.

Now, please, shut the fvck up about Manchester United: they are a second rate team, owned by a bunch of greedy barstewards.

Yours

And, fair play to them, they printed it almost word for word in yesterday's edition. Fame at last eh?

Fair play to you. It sounds like we both hate the medias sole focus on the PL. Its kind of ironic that we get ignored now for getting promoted yet the same people will be talking about us lots in 6months lol

Fair play to you. It sounds like we both hate the medias sole focus on the PL. Its kind of ironic that we get ignored now for getting promoted yet the same people will be talking about us lots in 6months lol

It's not even the PL focus that the most grinding thing, it's the fact other teams in our division are more worthy of a mention than us, the Champions. I get that the main story is usually going to be about the top flight, top European teams, or the National team, it's designed to catch the attention of as many people as possible, but when we're being totally ignored whilst Burnley are getting even a tiny bit of coverage, it annoying. Why is there promotion more news worthy then ours, and our title win? I was going to write in myself, but LangueDoc has already done a great job.

Edited by Facecloth

Yeh but I meant in general not just this article

All newspapers bar The Sun have pretty poor coverage of anything below the PL.

I started byuying the sun regularly in League 1 purely because their coverage was far better than any others.

Oh yeah I'm totally with you on that, but don't you think it's almost worse when you're not getting comparable coverage to a team at the same level as you? The media should reach out and cover further down the leagues, and when they do it would be nice if they were equal in their coverage. We've achieved more than Burnley this season, yet those achievements are seen as less news worthy than theirs.

I think the way we have destroyed the league has led to this. We've been over the radar so to speak, 'Leicester win again', seems to have been the phrase before moving onto the battles for positions elsewhere in the league as since we hit top spot we left the rest far far behind.

Edited by Vlad the Fox

I think I am one of few who have never liked Burnley and am quite irritated that they have been promoted...

Include me in that. I admire they've done well this year, well done, but I'd have preferred Derby to get second.

Yeah that's kind of the point of the game... ;)

lol .... Yeah I know what I said was obvious and a bit stupid but people talk about strikers as if we're just going to need to outscore the opposition.

Don't worry about newspaper coverage - yes, it would have been nice for the Guardian to mention our promotion earlier and more in-depth.

Just give them time, they might be ready for the home game against Doncaster...  :thumbup:

However, there will be plenty of occasions for the media to put us back on the big map once the World Cup has finished.

Yeh but I meant in general not just this article

All newspapers bar The Sun have pretty poor coverage of anything below the PL.

I started byuying the sun regularly in League 1 purely because their coverage was far better than any others.

The Guardian are piss takers on their football coverage - they currently give more space on their site to the Australian and American 'soccer'. They used do a blog tie in with the FL but stopped and now have two articles every week (1 main game and a round up).

I have had lads in my office ask did Leicester become champions then? Because all the news outlets went Man U crazy and reporting on a boring, goalless draw. 5Live even on Wednesday after the Real game spent their time with 2 Man U fans moaning about their fall from grace.

The Guardian are piss takers on their football coverage - they currently give more space on their site to the Australian and American 'soccer'. They used do a blog tie in with the FL but stopped and now have two articles every week (1 main game and a round up).

I have had lads in my office ask did Leicester become champions then? Because all the news outlets went Man U crazy and reporting on a boring, goalless draw. 5Live even on Wednesday after the Real game spent their time with 2 Man U fans moaning about their fall from grace.

You're right about the Guardian - they used to make a real effort with the Football League but that has come to a juddering halt over the last 2 years or so.

That said, they've given us plenty of coverage recently, with a feature when we were promoted and another after winning the league. Can't really ask for much more than that.

I used to do stuff for the Guardian's Football League blog and some of the stats they shared with me showed why they focus on what they do.

They only have finite resources and the Football League stuff just doesn't stack up in terms of cost and revenue. I did one thing on a Football League topic that happened to have Manchester United in the title as well and the number of views was insane.

I think the way we have destroyed the league has led to this. We've been over the radar so to speak, 'Leicester win again', seems to have been the phrase before moving onto the battles for positions elsewhere in the league as since we hit top spot we left the rest far far behind.

I thought that our name had changed to Leicester Winagain.

they had a decent and relatively well researched article on Pearson the other day

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/apr/23/nigel-pearson-premier-league-leicester-city-manager

I thought that was pretty poor actually, not that she was incorrect in anything she said but that it just came across as though she'd looked at Henry Winters interviews, had a flick through the mercury website and cobbled together a piece from other peoples work.

I thought that was pretty poor actually, not that she was incorrect in anything she said but that it just came across as though she'd looked at Henry Winters interviews, had a flick through the mercury website and cobbled together a piece from other peoples work.

Yeah there is nothing really interesting or new in that article.

FourFourTwo's top 50 players said Nugent was a target man, errrrr no.

Yeah I actually couldn't believe what I was reading. Nugent has to be one of the best known players outside of the top flight (excluding QPR!)

What grinded my gears was the fact when we were crowned champions, Sky Sports News were running a piece on how great Burnley are and how they were celebrating. It wasn't till 3 minutes after the final whistle they actually said it was full time.

Good job I had my phone on me as it was a tense time!

I think that's what is actually considered to be modern journalism.

i was being facetious. stealing counts as research, no?

Edited by Out Foxed