Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
grth2004

worst cover versions Ever

I quite like the covers used on this and last year's John Lewis Xmas ads. I wouldn't buy them, but they both work nicely in the context of the visuals. It wouldn't have made sense to use the original Frankie track as that itself is partly defined by its own classic promo.

The Alfie Boe and Kimberley Walsh cover of Queen's One Vision for this year's Limpics was ball-achingly horrific.

Newton Faulkner's version of Teardrop always pisses me off no end too.

Given that I've always inexplicably hated Don McLean's original American Pie, the Madonna version just made a bad thing even worse. Sorry, I know that's musical heresy, but I can't explain why I don't like it. I just don't!

It's as dull as dishwater! You probably prefer this version of Mad World over the original too.

Boring and flat on both counts! Plenty of crap songs in the charts.

Disagree on both counts there Trav, what I look for in a cover is taking a song and making it completely different to the original, giving it a whole new feel.

The original power of love is a big bombastic ode to how to great love is, it is over the top and superb, her version is much more stripped down and sombre and makes think more about the struggle to find love. Whether you like it or not as a piece of music I think it is unfair to call it an awful cover, I think it is a good cover as it really brings more to the song, it adds to it.

Likewise Gary Jules version of Mad World, it added a completely different element to the original, it strips it down and makes it so much bleaker and darker, and it works so well at the end of Donnie Darko.

In my opinion a shit cover is one that is just someone singing someone else's song with the same arrangement and tempo, American Pie by Madonna is a perfect example, it adds absolutely nothing to the original.

Disagree on both counts there Trav, what I look for in a cover is taking a song and making it completely different to the original, giving it a whole new feel.

That is also what I look for in a cover song and where I agree these have changed the two songs somewhat, to me, they have merely stripped them and sang the bare bones, which I don't find any great achievement. I recently heard The XX's cover of Last Christmas and the same goes, though less so - it sounded frikkin weird in places. I liked their first album, but there's only so much room for flat, sombre tunes in the world.

I recently heard The XX's cover of Last Christmas and the same goes, though less so - it sounded frikkin weird in places. I liked their first album, but there's only so much room for flat, sombre tunes in the world.

Booo, I just listened to that cover for the first time... absolutely brilliant. Their second album is a huge grower as well.

That is also what I look for in a cover song and where I agree these have changed the two songs somewhat, to me, they have merely stripped them and sang the bare bones, which I don't find any great achievement. I recently heard The XX's cover of Last Christmas and the same goes, though less so - it sounded frikkin weird in places. I liked their first album, but there's only so much room for flat, sombre tunes in the world.

It is not a great achievement, or musically genius, but it certainly adds to the song and adds to the original, and in the case of Gary Jules' mad world, it was perfectly pitched for the end of Donnie Darko which is when I first heard it, likewise the Power of Love one does suit the John Lewis ad.

I just think there are many bad covers much more deserving of your scorn.

Wow, that is spectacularly bad, I mean, just wow, truly awful.

My girlfriend had this Christmas album on last year and that came on half way through, i thought 'who the fuk is this'? i jumped out of my seat to look at the ipod, bloody Ronan Keating.

its so bad isn't it.

My girlfriend had this Christmas album on last year and that came on half way through, i thought 'who the fuk is this'? i jumped out of my seat to look at the ipod, bloody Ronan Keating.

its so bad isn't it.

I think it has just ruined Christmas for me. :cry: :xmassad:

Archived