Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stix

The World Football Thread

According to latest news, the Algeria FA is likely facing FIFA sanctions soon due to the fact that they failed to report friendlies against Mauretania leading up to the 2017 Africa Cup.

This means the national team could be banned from international football for the time being, also affecting two Algerian clubs competing in the African Champions League (MC Alger and ES Sétif).

Edited by MC Prussian

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Never been a huge fan of Ozil but felt for him reading his statement 

Well, it's caused a bit of a stir in Germany, and one could say, for the better.

After all, it touches upon two rather delicate subjects - integration and national identification. It reminds me of the Xhaka/Shaqiri affair in Switzerland.

Özil speaks a lot about "respect" in his three-part statement, but I haven't seen much of that "respect" paid to the German Football Association or the national team over the past few years. As the years have passed, Özil has more and more turned away from the national team, with sometimes dubious, sometimes anonymous performances on the pitch.

All in all, it's rather one-sided and paints Özil as the "victim" in this whole affair, when in fact, it was him and Gündogan who started it all by posing with Erdogan, acting as a political marketing tool for Turks in Germany (many of which who hold no German passport, btw).

It's one of these episodes where I think a decent apology would've been in order instead and with that, a focus on the sportive matters. Too often these days, we see athletes posing but for themselves in an act of self-preservation and self-marketing, where branding becomes more important than your performance on the pitch.

The brand "Özil" has become more important than the brand "Die Mannschaft" - compare the number of followers on Social Media.

I wonder what DFB president Grindel has to say now. Not that I regard his position as tenable any longer, he's a politician and not a sports person and should've never been appointed in the first place. The football association needs to start anew, with more competent people at the helm.

Parma are deducted five points for the new Serie A season due to match-fixing of one of their players, Emanuele Calaiò.

Calaiò has subsequently been banned for two years - which means he'll most certainly retire from pro football altogether now.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44924906

Edited by MC Prussian

Now we(Canada) just need 10 more like him for 2026:

Bayern Munich have agreed a deal to sign 17-year-old Canadian phenom Alphonso Davies from the Vancouver Whitecaps, according to multiple reports.

The Athletic reported on Tuesday that the two clubs had reached an agreement for a base transfer fee of $13 million -- which would already be a record for an MLS export -- with performance-related add-ons that could bring the total to $19 million.

Because Davies is a homegrown player, the Whitecaps will likely be able to keep all of the transfer fee, rather than share a sizable portion with MLS.

According to MLSsoccer.com, Davies will remain with the Whitecaps until the end of the MLS season, as he would not be able to play for Bayern in an official game until he turns 18 in November.

Just noticed that a local team here is playing a Serie A team tonight. Frosinone, who just got promoted to Serie A are playing the Oakville Blue Devils. If I'd noticed a bit earlier, I might have went. Actually, it's near the airport so I probably wouldn't have bothered. Cool anyway though! 

13 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Just noticed that a local team here is playing a Serie A team tonight. Frosinone, who just got promoted to Serie A are playing the Oakville Blue Devils. If I'd noticed a bit earlier, I might have went. Actually, it's near the airport so I probably wouldn't have bothered. Cool anyway though! 

You used to be indecisive but now you're not so sure?

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Has anyone subscribed to 11sports or whatever it is, to watch Serie A & La Liga? I'm definitely gonna do it purely for Serie A but I'd like to know it's at least half decent 

they’ve been pretty awful at all the golf they’ve taken off sky. golf’s quite a lot harder to broadcast than football though.