Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
40 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Have there actually been many original ITV dramas recently where this isn't the case? Even when they've got good actors in?

We are watching Winter atm and this acting isn’t too bad. Although the blame set a low bar 

  • Like 2
Posted
17 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Is that the Michelle Keegan one? 

Yeah, that’s the one. Regardless, I highly recommend not watching it.

Posted
1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Have there actually been many original ITV dramas recently where this isn't the case? Even when they've got good actors in?

Good point. One thing I’ll give these ITV dramas is their remarkable consistency. 

  • Like 1
Posted
Just now, Blarmy said:

Good point. One thing I’ll give these ITV dramas is their remarkable consistency. 

It's a shame because some of the ideas they have are quite good. 

 

Red Eye, for instance, had Richard Armitage and a decent premise, but the scriptwriting meant that not even his considerable ability could make it decent. 

 

Posted
1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

It's a shame because some of the ideas they have are quite good. 

 

Red Eye, for instance, had Richard Armitage and a decent premise, but the scriptwriting meant that not even his considerable ability could make it decent. 

 

Yep. I try them as I like British-made, British-based stuff as counterpoint to all the US stuff I watch, but they reliably disappoint for one reason or another.

 

Im guessing it’s a lack of strength in depth in the writing and directing department, which doesn’t leverage the acting talent properly, and possibly too much boardroom driven conformity to “hit the numbers”.

Posted
1 minute ago, Blarmy said:

Yep. I try them as I like British-made, British-based stuff as counterpoint to all the US stuff I watch, but they reliably disappoint for one reason or another.

 

Im guessing it’s a lack of strength in depth in the writing and directing department, which doesn’t leverage the acting talent properly, and possibly too much boardroom driven conformity to “hit the numbers”.

Agree with the dearth of talent re writing and directing. 

 

I mean, there are some very good recent British made dramas out there, but they're just not made by ITV.

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

It's a shame because some of the ideas they have are quite good. 

 

Red Eye, for instance, had Richard Armitage and a decent premise, but the scriptwriting meant that not even his considerable ability could make it decent. 

 

Do you not find that watching Richard Armitage is like watching Richard Armitage in every single film/series that he’s done as it’s almost the same character, 1 minute he’s the dwarf king then he’s some psycho husband but it’s done in the same style unlike say Stevie Graham even with his scouse accent.
Maybe it is has a lot to do with Richard’s accent / delivery (he’s 1 of us so where did he get that accent from) it’s fine for when he started in stage acting but for me it needs to bend as I end up not believing him especially if he’s meant to be playing a “goodie” & no not 1 of those 3 idjuts, you know what I mean?

  • Like 1
Posted
On 04/10/2026 at 21:52, Super_horns said:

So pay less for the BBC/TV licence but fund other aspects of media platforms/services?

 

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cr89j4g7v05wo

 

Some sensible ideas there, particularly ending the BBC Charter (and regular political reviews related to that). The Beeb’s independence is something we should value, but it is increasingly under political influence. That needs to stop, and getting rid of the political reviews would be a good start.

  • Like 2
Posted
13 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Do you not find that watching Richard Armitage is like watching Richard Armitage in every single film/series that he’s done as it’s almost the same character, 1 minute he’s the dwarf king then he’s some psycho husband but it’s done in the same style unlike say Stevie Graham even with his scouse accent.
Maybe it is has a lot to do with Richard’s accent / delivery (he’s 1 of us so where did he get that accent from) it’s fine for when he started in stage acting but for me it needs to bend as I end up not believing him especially if he’s meant to be playing a “goodie” & no not 1 of those 3 idjuts, you know what I mean?

The typecasting (dark, brooding, calculating villain or antihero) is a fair point, but I do think he's good at what he does, even though he doesn't have the range of someone like Stephen Graham. 

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, Blarmy said:

Yep. I try them as I like British-made, British-based stuff as counterpoint to all the US stuff I watch, but they reliably disappoint for one reason or another.

 

Im guessing it’s a lack of strength in depth in the writing and directing department, which doesn’t leverage the acting talent properly, and possibly too much boardroom driven conformity to “hit the numbers”.

Very very rarely watch any ''drama'' on BBC or ITV anymore, the emergence of Netflix, Paramount etc, the content, budget and acting/actors is just night and day. 

  • Like 1
Posted
13 minutes ago, Raj said:

Ludwig with David Mitchell on bbc i player is a nice easy Sunday evening type watch

Yeah it’s a weird premise but I’ve actually been quite enjoying it 

  • Like 1
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Very very rarely watch any ''drama'' on BBC or ITV anymore, the emergence of Netflix, Paramount etc, the content, budget and acting/actors is just night and day. 

Very true, I think part of me roots for homegrown entertainment despite being repeatedly disappointed 😂

  • Like 1
Posted
On 05/10/2026 at 09:41, AKCJ said:

Yeah don't get me wrong I know it's not exactly a high IQ programme and it's an objectively worse version of The Gentleman but it's just fun.

 

I did find the very ending of the last episode objectively stupid though. I get the Harrigans doing stupid stuff because they're completely mental but

  Reveal hidden contents

they said that Freddie would be searched prior to the meeting yet he's somehow waltzed in with a bomb in his helmet?

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Add Gangs of London to the mix which is off the scale ridiculous! 

Posted
8 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Do you not find that watching Richard Armitage is like watching Richard Armitage in every single film/series that he’s done as it’s almost the same character, 1 minute he’s the dwarf king then he’s some psycho husband but it’s done in the same style unlike say Stevie Graham even with his scouse accent.
Maybe it is has a lot to do with Richard’s accent / delivery (he’s 1 of us so where did he get that accent from) it’s fine for when he started in stage acting but for me it needs to bend as I end up not believing him especially if he’s meant to be playing a “goodie” & no not 1 of those 3 idjuts, you know what I mean?

He’s just so dull. 

Posted
On 30/09/2026 at 07:34, Suzie the Fox said:

Monster The Lizzie Borden story.

 

A decent watch i thought. Although i have read some scathing reviews. Based on a true story, but with a lot of hollywood glamour added.  

 

I thought the actress who played Lizzie did a great job ... 7/10 for me

Just finished it up.

 

I thought it was better than the reviews. The entire cast was excellent and yeah, especially Ella Beatty, who played Lizzie. She is the daughter of Warren Beatty and Annette Bening. Reminded me so much of her mom at times.

 

I thought it would have actually been a better ending without the final episode and I wasn't a fan of the more modern tie in story. That one already has it's own show, I believe.

 

Still, enjoyed it overall.

 

7.5 :thumbup:

  • Like 1
Posted
4 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Just finished it up.

 

I thought it was better than the reviews. The entire cast was excellent and yeah, especially Ella Beatty, who played Lizzie. She is the daughter of Warren Beatty and Annette Bening. Reminded me so much of her mom at times.

 

I thought it would have actually been a better ending without the final episode and I wasn't a fan of the more modern tie in story. That one already has it's own show, I believe.

 

Still, enjoyed it overall.

 

7.5 :thumbup:

I did not know about her mum and dad being who they were... wow. Totally agree with the modern tie in, it wasn't needed and made the show worse for it.

 

Since you tend to like similar shows and movies as me, i've come across this older show, which suprising i'd not heard about.. especially considering it stars Jason Mamoa. Started it last night so will update. Its got decent reviews and aired for 3 seasons. Post apocolyptic but with a spin.. got decent ratings on iMDB. Is called See

 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7949218/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3_tt_7_nm_1_in_0_q_see

 

  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...