Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

9 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Was a very interesting watch. Almost made me like George W Bush. Almost.

He was fvckin angry though wasn't he (understandable) and seemed hell bent on revenge almost from the get go. Thought he did his best to show strong leadership in what must have been impossible circumstances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, masterg59 said:

This was on last week, worth a watch as well

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000z95y/surviving-911

Man, that was a tough watch but thanks for sharing.

I must have seen at least two dozen documentaries of 9/11 over the years. I think I must have some morbid, weird fascination about it.

The whole thing still seems so surreal.

Just now, Izzy said:

Man, that was a tough watch but thanks for sharing.

I must have seen at least two dozen documentaries of 9/11 over the years. I think I must have some morbid, weird fascination about it.

The whole thing still seems so surreal.

There's a mini series of Discovery too. My oldest son is just starting to learn about it so I've been watching a fair bit recently having not done so for many years. Still harrowing.

• Like 1

The 9/11 doc was excellent. Perhaps because so much has happened over the last few years - I wouldn't say I'd forgotten about 9/11 so much but it didn't seem like the one big event of my life as much anymore. But watching the scenes again is just shocking. And still totally unlike anything we'd seen before or will probably see again.

• Like 1

I'm not one of them weirdos who think it was the US Govt who were behind d 9/11 but i find it so weird that AlQaeda managed  to so.ehow do that on such a huge scale and then only ever did such smaller things after.

It's like City winning the Champions league and then returning to league 2 forever after if you get what I'm trying to say...

3 hours ago, Raj said:

I'm not one of them weirdos who think it was the US Govt who were behind d 9/11 but i find it so weird that AlQaeda managed  to so.ehow do that on such a huge scale and then only ever did such smaller things after.

It's like City winning the Champions league and then returning to league 2 forever after if you get what I'm trying to say...

Did you ever take a domestic flight in America pre September 2001? 

5 hours ago, Raj said:

i find it so weird that AlQaeda managed  to so.ehow do that on such a huge scale and then only ever did such smaller things after.

I’m by no means an expert on this, but I think prior to the 2001 attacks a) nobody was expecting something like that and b) security on US domestic flights was almost non-existent. Afterwards a) everyone was expecting something like that and b) security measures increased somewhat around the world.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Getting on a flight back then was like catching a bus. 

Yeah, get you. Still if they were that good Al Qaeda should have gone to town committing more atrocities ( God that sounds horrible  to say-sorry)

3 minutes ago, Raj said:

Yeah, get you. Still if they were that good Al Qaeda should have gone to town committing more atrocities ( God that sounds horrible  to say-sorry)

It was a very long time in the planning remember. Also, in 1993 a truck bomb detonated in the underground car park beneath Tower 1 orchestrated by Ramzi Yousef consisting of a 1,336 lb urea nitrate–hydrogen gas enhanced device had been intended to send the North Tower into the South Tower thereby collapsing the WTC. It blew a crater beneath the underground garage several stories deep. The link between Yousef and Bin Laden was not proven, but Ramzi Yousef’s uncle, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, had wired him money before the first World Trade Center bombing. KSM evaded capture and rose in the ranks of al Qaeda to become one of bin Laden’s top lieutenants. Bin Laden from a family of civil engineers and certified himself, reasoned that the way to bring down the towers was by flying hijacked aircraft into them. 

1 hour ago, Raj said:

It does a bit.

I think it was/is all about causing shock though, and endless small atrocities wouldn’t do that as well as occasional insanely big ones.

1 minute ago, Phil Bowman said:

It does a bit.

I think it was/is all about causing shock though, and endless small atrocities wouldn’t do that as well as occasional insanely big ones.

That's what I mean though Phil.

Surely having planned 9/11 which they would have deemed the ultimate success, they should have done more.

I think we should call a day on this as it does sound distasteful  saying what I have- just trying to see it through the eyes of AlQaeda.

Apologise if insensitive 

Not sure what “more” would entail in your mind.

They tried to kill everyone in the towers.  They killed 3 plane loads of people, tried to take out the Pentagon and who knows where the downed flight was headed.

Thats a lot for people who usually just blow up a bus or shoot a rocket into a building.

1 hour ago, marbles said:

Not sure what “more” would entail in your mind.

They tried to kill everyone in the towers.  They killed 3 plane loads of people, tried to take out the Pentagon and who knows where the downed flight was headed.

Thats a lot for people who usually just blow up a bus or shoot a rocket into a building.

Like I say, I'm not going to go on and on about it as it seems unsavoury.

But like you say for people who usually just blow up buses or shoot a rocket into a building, that day of terror on 9/11 just seems a few steps too big for them?

17 hours ago, bovril said:

The 9/11 doc was excellent. Perhaps because so much has happened over the last few years - I wouldn't say I'd forgotten about 9/11 so much but it didn't seem like the one big event of my life as much anymore. But watching the scenes again is just shocking. And still totally unlike anything we'd seen before or will probably see again.

My wife and I said the same. I remember coming downstairs halfway through sleeping off a nightshift, making a brew and putting the TV on and seeing the news footage. I didn't go back to bed. I was transfixed, shocked, scared, angry, saddened.

Over time one replaces those memories with other things then, when you're reminded of it, particularly in a constructed documentary of the events, all those feelings come back afresh.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Parafox said:

My wife and I said the same. I remember coming downstairs halfway through sleeping off a nightshift, making a brew and putting the TV on and seeing the news footage. I didn't go back to bed. I was transfixed, shocked, scared, angry, saddened.

Over time one replaces those memories with other things then, when you're reminded of it, particularly in a constructed documentary of the events, all those feelings come back afresh.

I can't believe it's 20 years ago. It was my 30th birthday that day. Strange day and going out in the evening, it felt like the end of the world. 

It's was the way it just played out on live TV in front of our eyes, quickly changing from what felt like a bizarre accident to an open mouthed realisation of what had actually happened. Transfixing and beyond shocking at the same time. 

A friend worked for Marsh McLennan who lost the second most employees after Cantor Fitzgerald that day, and moved to New York the year after. I visited her in 2003 and met a number of her colleagues, who had lost much loved friends that day.  Heart wrenching. 

2 hours ago, Raj said:

Like I say, I'm not going to go on and on about it as it seems unsavoury.

But like you say for people who usually just blow up buses or shoot a rocket into a building, that day of terror on 9/11 just seems a few steps too big for them?

I am honestly confused by what you are trying to say.

First you thought they would have done more.  Now it seems you are saying it’s more than they could have done???

Are you saying they did or don’t do this, in your opinion?

23 hours ago, Rain King said:

There's a mini series of Discovery too. My oldest son is just starting to learn about it so I've been watching a fair bit recently having not done so for many years. Still harrowing.

Apologies the series is on National Geographic. Once again fascinating and shocking.

Lots of footage I personally haven't seen before.

• Like 1