Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kyleolly

Beckford

Guest ttfn

Yes he got hoisted off at half time in a game, but he was also on occasion sacrificed when we had reckless red cards if I remember too.

Fair point he isnt proven at this level. :rolleyes:

He is proven at the level above this level. Its such a pathetic argument to justify not liking someone.

It has nothing to do with not liking him, it has a lot to do with thinking we can do better than him with a player who wouldn't be earning such an insane amount of money.

MPH I think you took my comment in the wrong

context. I think he should be given another

chance with us. He's had his time to adapt

to this league and could come good.

Ya'll might think I'm crazy but I'm

gonna put a bet on JB to be top scorer

in the league this coming season.

Wouldn't we want to see a hell of a lot from most of our players by last years standards?

We were a struggling side with little consistency.

Again Beckford has proved he can score at this level. It is proven.

Can he score more? I believe so. None of us have a crystal ball. However I prefer a positive outlook. Others appear happier to write a good player off. Strange.

Absolutely spot on mate.

Guest ttfn

Fair point he isnt proven at this level. :rolleyes:

He is proven at the level above this level. Its such a pathetic argument to justify not liking someone.

EIght goals in the Premier League and he is "proven" at that level?

Interestingly, as soon as Everton did get in a striker who could kick a ball straight, he scored 9 goals in the second half of the season alone.

Ahh right. So 9 goals proven, 8 goals not? Can't you people see the irony?

Incidentally Everton play much better in the second half of every season don't they.

Again I'm not reading the tea leaves - but as I've already said I believe Beckford will do very well this season. As a nod to the forum I will also say that I think he will stay.

Ahh right. So 9 goals proven, 8 goals not? Can't you people see the irony?

Incidentally Everton play much better in the second half of every season don't they.

Again I'm not reading the tea leaves - but as I've already said I believe Beckford will do very well this season. As a nod to the forum I will also say that I think he will stay.

What irony? 9 goals in half a season is a lot better than 8 in a full season. I hope Beckford does well and proves all the doubters wrong but making points like that is just silly.

Seems to be you've got a craw in your bonnet Babs. Perhaps it's daily mashing your head against a wall has you reacting to every single post on this forum in a disappointingly aggressive tone, but in my view the numbers used against Beckford don't stack up as on paper they are out of context. I do remember someone producing those minutes, and whilst they were not tremendous, they weren't put in context to the games played, the time on the pitch within games. Yes he got hoisted off at half time in a game, but he was also on occasion sacrificed when we had reckless red cards if I remember too.

I'm not arguing that at times he could have had better application when he was on the pitch, and not whinge and bitch, but are you truly suggesting that he can't produce 20 goals given more starts with an improved and settled squad behind him?

"Disappointingly aggressive". Now considering the other chap accused me of talking bollocks (because I disagreed), and then I responded to you with exactly the words you used to describe people not sharing your view... who were the ones being aggressive?

I do remember someone producing those minutes, and whilst they were not tremendous, they weren't put in context to the games played, the time on the pitch within games. Yes he got hoisted off at half time in a game, but he was also on occasion sacrificed when we had reckless red cards if I remember too.

And how about the times (as someone backing up Beckford stated a page or two before) the number of times he actually stayed on the pitch when Nugent went off. And that happened a lot towards the end of last year.

I'm not arguing that at times he could have had better application when he was on the pitch, and not whinge and bitch, but are you truly suggesting that he can't produce 20 goals given more starts with an improved and settled squad behind him?

No, where have I suggested that? The only thing I have suggested is that the blind faith people are showing in him has nothing to back it up. 9 league goals, scoring in 7 league games is a poor return. And it's an even poorer return when you look at his cost.

Waghorn outscored him in his first league season as a kid, and he played probably less than Beckford did. Yes he was in a better performing team, but he was a rookie and cost us at the time peanuts.

Fingers crossed he will be brilliant, but it's far from a forgone conclusion he will be. That's the problem I have.

Wouldn't we want to see a hell of a lot from most of our players by last years standards?

We were a struggling side with little consistency.

Again Beckford has proved he can score at this level. It is proven.

Can he score more? I believe so. None of us have a crystal ball. However I prefer a positive outlook. Others appear happier to write a good player off. Strange.

Doncaster were a struggling side (struggling a damn site more than us) and Billy Sharp had already surpassed Beckfords total of 9 by the 31st December.

If you want to lower your standards so much that anyone scoring 9 league goals in 40 odd appearances means someone is proven, then that's fine. But other people think it takes a bit more than that... god knows what you must have thought about Waghorns first season as a kid where he comfortably beat Beckfords league total this season.

The only thing Beckford has proven is he can score 9 goals in this league. If that's enough for you then great.

Babylon - I always have a response.

You're talking arse because you say quite definitively that he's not proven at this level. I think that's rubbish.

Paint it how you will but he scored 15 goals for us last season. I think that proves he can score. Yes some of those goals came in the cup, against lower and higher level opposition. We were a couple of games from Wembley. If we'd of made it and won the cup I doubt you would be saying Beckfords goals counted for nothing.

You appear to have a tambourine to shake and you're shaking it for all your worth. I said I'd leave it there and see. But if you want to carry on I can go all night.

Beckford has proved he can score at this level. Only a moron would claim otherwise. He was Everton's top scorer at Prem level. Proven there too I believe. But you don't think, in your opinion, he's cut out for the championship based on a woeful season where the club were pulled from pillar to post. In that evidence NP needs to ship out about another 10 players. Fortunately his views aren't Babylonian and he can see that last season was not exactly illustrative of his playet's true abilities.

Again we will see this season. Your opinion of Beckford might be justified, as might mine. You're just plain wrong to say he's unproven though. It's laughable.

"I said leave it and see"... oh yeah and you said I was talking bollocks, I suppose I'm just supposed to sit and not respond to the keyboard warrior.

So someone is talking bollocks, talking arse, a moron and laughable because they believe it takes more than 9 goals to be proven in this league. Nice to see you taking other peoples opinions well. And I get accused of being aggressive. lol

And once again, I have never said he's not good enough, I've never said he won't score goals. So stop putting words in peoples mouths. I don't have a clue, all I know is that he was average last year. And gave us an extremely poor return on our investment.

The fact is he's scored less goals than Martin Waghorn in this league. If that makes him proven in your book then that's absolutely fine, personally I expect a little bit more from someone costing £2.5m and taking home anywhere between £25 and £40k according to rumours.

Top must be well chuffed he paid Beckford all that money and he got us to the quarter final of the FA Cup - goals achieved!!! A cup run is nice, but I'd rather he get his arse in gear for the likes of Pboro away.

Top must be well chuffed he paid Beckford all that money and he got us to the quarter final of the FA Cup - goals achieved!!! A cup run is nice, but I'd rather he get his arse in gear for the likes of Pboro away.

He's that chuffed, he said it 3 times

Babylon I think you misunderstood. That wasn't abuse, it was an observation. Nothing abusive about stating your opinion regarding the content of your posts.

I stand by it.

In that case, I observe that you are a ****. I joke.

So you think it's fine to say those things because someone believes it takes more than 9 league goals to be proven in this league?

If you set your standards that low it's fine, but don't slate someone who expects better for 30k a week.

Another thread turned to shit because someone disagreed with Babylon... :rolleyes:

Awwww diddums.

I love how I get blamed for it, there were plenty of people saying exactly the same as I was. And I was able to communicate in a sensible manner, where as the bloke above thinks it's fine to call people morons, say they talk shit, talk bollocks, and are laughable. For a point most people actually seemed to agree with. 9 championship goals in someones entire career does not make them a proven championship striker.

Jog on kiddo.

And there you go again Babylon. He scored 15. You want to ignore the other 6 that's up to you entirely. Obviously he didn't score those 6 in the Championship and so forgetting them, you think, gives credence to your arguement. I don't.

I don't know why you just don't come out and say you don't like the guy and wish we just got rid. Save all the skirting around.

But come Christmas when he's banged in a good few I guess your tune will change. And that's what really grips me. I just want to give the guy a chance.

I've said it before, but I can't work out why people don't mind the club forking out so much for an average player.

Maybe you're happy with 15 goals (9 important ones) a season from a striker who provides very little else but goals, but I'm sure we can get one for half the price of Beckford.

Maybe you're fine with the club spending £30k a week on a poacher-type striker, but why don't you expect him to score in more than just 7 league matches all season?

I think we can get much better value for money elsewhere.

Archived