Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Animal rights

DT are you really this miserable or just trolling?    You seem to concentrate on just the negative in people, ignoring the beauty and joy of human race.

No, I'm certainly not trolling. 

I work as a volunteer, at a local "Dogs Home". Many of these poor creatures can barely stand, thanks to so called human beings. That makes me bloody angry, and yes, miserable.

You should try it, and see how it makes you feel.

Should you actually decide to read a little deeper in to this, rather than a knee jerk headline, you might actually be surprised. Rather than just a zoo, the Zurich Wildnispark is actually a wildlife park, set in large natural habitat and forest, with more than enough room to accommodate them. They have a high rating in terms of welfare and care for the animals at the park.

Overpopulation is a problem, and something you have moaned about before in parks and zoos etc. Now, what happens here is that the birth rate for certain animals is higher than can be accommodated and so, IF they animals cannot be relocated, they are made use of. I know you will never ever see eating meat as a good thing, but in terms of resources, you have to understand surely that it really isn't a big deal. In fact it's efficient and good on their carbon footprint. These animals aren't being strung up and beaten to death slowly by a blind kid with a stick, they are killed quickly and efficiently.

The restaurant actually looks bloody good. Quite fancy some wild boar now, it's delicious!

I wouldn't expect a reply from him it seems he's conceded that his arguement's are full of holes and as such has abandoned all attempts of debate or discussion, instead choosing to search the internet to find any random articles he can which no one care's about. It adds absloutley nothing to the forum and as I've said several times this thread should of been closed some time ago, this is a place for discussion and debate not a somewhere to launch an animal rights campaign from.

I wouldn't expect a reply from him it seems he's conceded that his arguement's are full of holes and as such has abandoned all attempts of debate or discussion, instead choosing to search the internet to find any random articles he can which no one care's about. It adds absloutley nothing to the forum and as I've said several times this thread should of been closed some time ago, this is a place for discussion and debate not a somewhere to launch an animal rights campaign from.

Certainly looks that way doesn't it. The thing is, it's not even really relevant stuff or anything. As you say, it's searching the internet for a knee jerk reaction to something one idiot has done to mistreat animals, then tarring the good 99.9% of others with the same brush.

Anyway, if it's going to be closed, I can't resist the chance to post this one last time...

capturempb.jpg

Saw this the other day on Twitter, seems like another pointless study. Even if true, i'll take the lowered risk of heart disease, cancer and longer average life expectancy over the gallons over sperm. 

Done about 7 months pescatarian and 2 months vegetarian - covered over a 100 miles of running during marathon training and haven't struggled at all through lack of protein etc, hopefully all goes well on the day!

Saw this the other day on Twitter, seems like another pointless study. Even if true, i'll take the lowered risk of heart disease, cancer and longer average life expectancy over the gallons over sperm.

Done about 7 months pescatarian and 2 months vegetarian - covered over a 100 miles of running during marathon training and haven't struggled at all through lack of protein etc, hopefully all goes well on the day!

Eh, it's got some applications in fertility treatments I imagine. Now this is a pointless study: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2629760/How-make-fish-swim-faster-Researchers-say-getting-DRUNK-double-speed-fish.html

Eh, it's got some applications in fertility treatments I imagine. Now this is a pointless study: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2629760/How-make-fish-swim-faster-Researchers-say-getting-DRUNK-double-speed-fish.html

It could - but that would probably require more than 30 odd people to be studied and from more than one area. 

Wow - some researchers really do need to find some hobbies!

Should you actually decide to read a little deeper in to this, rather than a knee jerk headline, you might actually be surprised. Rather than just a zoo, the Zurich Wildnispark is actually a wildlife park, set in large natural habitat and forest, with more than enough room to accommodate them. They have a high rating in terms of welfare and care for the animals at the park.

Overpopulation is a problem, and something you have moaned about before in parks and zoos etc. Now, what happens here is that the birth rate for certain animals is higher than can be accommodated and so, IF they animals cannot be relocated, they are made use of. I know you will never ever see eating meat as a good thing, but in terms of resources, you have to understand surely that it really isn't a big deal. In fact it's efficient and good on their carbon footprint. These animals aren't being strung up and beaten to death slowly by a blind kid with a stick, they are killed quickly and efficiently.

The restaurant actually looks bloody good. Quite fancy some wild boar now, it's delicious!

Thanks for your response, i am aware of what it is.

I didnt realise that your post required any form of response from me, but hey you seem to desire one, so here it is.

The theory that "at least they are being put to use" is up there with, "someone has to eat all the cows". The bottom line is that these animals are being killed farmed and locked up for our pleasure and i am opposed to that. 

I do not equate animals on the same level as humans, BUT, i see them as having their own rights and we should not be able to just do as we please with them because we can.

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad, gutted to see Admire Rakti go, had some real talent and won have won numerous G1's in the future.

I've held part ownership in a racehorse and have some friends who own them now, it's as devastating as losing a pet when something like this happens. Condolences to all concerned.

Thanks for your response, i am aware of what it is.

I didnt realise that your post required any form of response from me, but hey you seem to desire one, so here it is.

The theory that "at least they are being put to use" is up there with, "someone has to eat all the cows". The bottom line is that these animals are being killed farmed and locked up for our pleasure and i am opposed to that. 

I do not equate animals on the same level as humans, BUT, i see them as having their own rights and we should not be able to just do as we please with them because we can.

Sorry I hadn't noticed this before. I don't desire or require a response for you at all, it's ok. I just think that the point on a discussion board is to well, ummm, discuss. All that seems to happen in here is that a link gets posted with a snidey comment, suggesting that anything or anyone that doesn't meet your vegan seal of approval, is evil and wrong. If you were to engage people when you post something, or are even a little bit willing to see another side to a story, perhaps you might get a better response in this thread.

That being said, and for those reasons, perhaps it's better this thread was shut, as Pablo said. There isn't any progress or discussion, just an occasional link accompanied by 'Look what you nasty meat eaters do. I'm better than that'.

Think I'm done with this now. It's a shame, because I do actually care for animal welfare and am hugely in to the natural world. Guess I'll go kill a kitten now lol.

Sorry I hadn't noticed this before. I don't desire or require a response for you at all, it's ok. I just think that the point on a discussion board is to well, ummm, discuss. All that seems to happen in here is that a link gets posted with a snidey comment, suggesting that anything or anyone that doesn't meet your vegan seal of approval, is evil and wrong. If you were to engage people when you post something, or are even a little bit willing to see another side to a story, perhaps you might get a better response in this thread.

That being said, and for those reasons, perhaps it's better this thread was shut, as Pablo said. There isn't any progress or discussion, just an occasional link accompanied by 'Look what you nasty meat eaters do. I'm better than that'.

Think I'm done with this now. It's a shame, because I do actually care for animal welfare and am hugely in to the natural world. Guess I'll go kill a kitten now lol.

No need fror apologies.

I think you will find, if you read back from the start, that there have been many, fair balanced and interesting discussions.

You are welcome to your opinion, I am happy to discuss any thoughts or opinions you or others may have, i may well disagree with them, but as you say this is a discussion board and surely thats what they are for.

You may notice that many others that hold differing opinions have had sensible discussions, especially in the early part of the thread before it became derailed for a time. i admit on occasion it has drifted into childishness and thats one of the reasons i have reduced my activity in posting here ( i am more than happy to increase it though :) )

Calling for it to be closed simply because you, i, or anyone, dont agree with what is posted would certainly end any chance of interesting, valuable discussion.

Today, a horse died, simply due to our desire to be entertained and to gamble, its wrong.... why do we think we have the right to kill another creature simply for our entertainment?

EDIT - The second horse has now died! - how is this considered SPORT???

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/storystream/melbourne-cup-overshadowed-death-two-horses

Edited by ozleicester

No need fror apologies.

I think you will find, if you read back from the start, that there have been many, fair balanced and interesting discussions.

You are welcome to your opinion, I am happy to discuss any thoughts or opinions you or others may have, i may well disagree with them, but as you say this is a discussion board and surely thats what they are for.

You may notice that many others that hold differing opinions have had sensible discussions, especially in the early part of the thread before it became derailed for a time. i admit on occasion it has drifted into childishness and thats one of the reasons i have reduced my activity in posting here ( i am more than happy to increase it though :) )

Calling for it to be closed simply because you, i, or anyone, dont agree with what is posted would certainly end any chance of interesting, valuable discussion.

Today, a horse died, simply due to our desire to be entertained and to gamble, its wrong.... why do we think we have the right to kill another creature simply for our entertainment?

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/storystream/melbourne-cup-overshadowed-death-two-horses

No it's got nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing, we're calling for it to be closed because you're flogging a dead horse, excuse the pun. If you didn't keep resurrecting it it'd die a natural death anyway but because your too self important to let that happen you keep dragging up every other week. Your just cluttering up the forum on a one man crusade and that is not what this forum is for. 

No it's got nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing, we're calling for it to be closed because you're flogging a dead horse, excuse the pun. If you didn't keep resurrecting it it'd die a natural death anyway but because your too self important to let that happen you keep dragging up every other week. Your just cluttering up the forum on a one man crusade and that is not what this forum is for.

How is it 'cluttering up the forum'? It's one topic, and conveniently titled so that those who wish to can avoid it.

• Like 1

7000.jpg

129 horses died on Australian race tracks between August last year and July this year - one horse every 2.9 days - leading to calls for the banning of the whip and two-year-old racing.

"Their joints and muscles aren't fully formed. While not many of them break down as two-year-olds, a lot of them break down in the following year and more than half of those horses who died were raced as two-year-olds,"

Should we at least ban the abuse of two year olds?

Edited by ozleicester

It's a pretty outdated opinion these days to say racing is just for gambling purposes, go to Dubai and you get 100,000 there for the World Cup and there isn't a bookie on course, I often watch racing without betting, there is a huge sporting angle to it before and just just because of the history of the bloodstock and the purity of the animals.

Because people die in Sport, they die in Rugby, Boxing, Cricket and Football, you don't stop just because you get the odd fatality.

Should we at least ban the abuse of two year olds?

Possible, although I can also remember

Remember the promising colt Johannesburg as well who died as a two year old? You could argue using the whip on him would have corrected him and possibly saved his life.

How is it 'cluttering up the forum'? It's one topic, and conveniently titled so that those who wish to can avoid it.

It still takes up space other topics that actually are a discussion could be occupying whether it's one topic or not.

As I've said, there's no discussion here anymore, it's redundant. A one man crusade hardly anyone is listening to anymore, there's no place for it on here.

Bad news... just discovered a liking for lamb, which I used to not bother with.

You've been missing out.

Lamb Shank slow cooked (3-4 hours) is absolutely amazing with some mash and gravy, try it.

It still takes up space other topics that actually are a discussion could be occupying whether it's one topic or not.

As I've said, there's no discussion here anymore, it's redundant. A one man crusade hardly anyone is listening to anymore, there's no place for it on here.

Nonsense.

When were you last unable to start a thread because there is no room?

And, given your feelings, why do you continue to read it? Why do you still post in it?

Because people die in Sport, they die in Rugby, Boxing, Cricket and Football, you don't stop just because you get the odd fatality.

Some people stop participating in those sports (Particularly boxing) because people have died. But then they have a choice.

Edited by Mark_w

Some people stop participating in those sports (Particularly boxing) because people have died. But then they have a choice.

Choice is very much the issue, even when the horses demonstrate even the most simple of examples of not wishing to run, just watch Admire being loaded into the stalls pre race it was most evident the horse did not wish to go in, but 5 people grabbed it and dragged or pushed it into the stalls.

4 minutes later it is dying.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2673588/mystery-surrounds-death-of-admire-rakti-after-a-melbourne-cup-like-no-other/?cs=12

Edited by ozleicester

• 3 months later...