Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Animal rights

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

I used to run a wildlife rescue and we would often get vagrant badgers in.  These are old timers that have been cast out by the pack as they have become a hindrance.  Always had wound on their rumps from the badgers that were running them out of town.  We had to build artificial setts or retirement homes for them, so that is an example of packs casting out the weak and infirm.  I don't know about apes though.  Interesting if that is true.

Yep, and the vast majority of animals do that.

However, some apes and also elephants (who have demonstrated caring about those in their group who are in distress as well as dead members of the group) do show behaviour that can be classed as compassionate. I'd hazard a guess dolphins are similar too.

It's very much a limited thing in the animal kingdom beyond humans, but it has been known.

2 hours ago, murphy said:

Maybe not.  Just saying that we have a horrible cruelty within human nature.

I'm team animal.  I resigned from the human race long ago.

Yes so did I tbh.

I can’t understand how anyone could be cruel to animals. I just don’t get it. Eg. The fookin trophy hunters that stand in glee over the carcass of a dead polar bear whilst having photos taken for prosterity. What does any fat fook get out of killing one of God’s beautiful creatures with a rifle? And then publicising it by having the animals head on their wall in their house?

To be honest I’m over the moon when I hear stories of how the cvnts got mauled by the tiger or gnarled to death by the bear.

• Like 2

I'm not really bothered by animals toying with their pry as long as they eat them when they are done. I have 3 cats (the oldest one is about 5 years old and the 2 younger ones are 2-3 months old). And I don't think Cats are sadistic, it's more of an experience and a learning opportunity for them. The kittens are way more energetic when they are trying to hunt compared to my much older Cat.

In conclusion, Cats did nothing wrong.

44 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Ngl I subscribe to the Agent Smithian school of thought when it comes to humans.

I can't lean that misanthropic as humans have the capacity to do so much good stuff too, but it is frustrating when a supposedly intelligent species engages in such obviously counterproductive behaviour such as most wars and all evangelism.

27 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I can't lean that misanthropic as humans have the capacity to do so much good stuff too, but it is frustrating when a supposedly intelligent species engages in such obviously counterproductive behaviour such as most wars and all evangelism.

Let's not forget the rampant materialism and pollution.

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 14:09, Buce said:

I think you are anthropomorphising, Mac - cats do not have the conscious capacity to be either cruel or compassionate.

This kind of play starts when they are kittens, learning how to hunt. It is an ancient thing, and all wild cats do this, as do foxes, who hunt in the same style. It triggers the pleasure centres of the brain. Some cats have this much more strongly than others. (The same way some dogs want to fetch and other dogs cannot comprehend the behaviour). Humans tend to see well-fed adult domestic cats interacting with small “prey” when those cats are not doing it for a living. Often, it’s just for fun. It is about the way the prey moves, stops, starts again. It does not recognize the prey as a personality or a living thing, so the concept of cruelty is absent.

An insect, laser light, or a wind-up toy provide the same relief from boredom. They make videos for cats to watch now, designed to trigger the parts of the brain that respond to specific kinds of movement. When humans created the housecat, we wanted mousers first and companions second. However, in the last 200 years or more, we want companions first. This means we did not select for hunting, and many housecats do not have that urge. This is why just putting any cat in a barn is not going to solve any problems with mice…you need a cat who has the desire to hunt and kill.

Yes. Cats have the same trait as their larger brethren. It is pure instinct, not deliberate malice. 

On 10/07/2018 at 20:32, FoxesDeb said:

This is definitely true. If my dog sees me cry she gets upset too, she tries to sit on my lap and she licks my face (not the thread for getting that the wrong way round BTW) Most blokes would just leave me to it and fvck off down the pub 

To be honest ...   if we have a row the dog comes with me down the pub ...   :)

On 12/07/2018 at 14:57, Steve_Walsh5 said:

If next doors cat keep shitting in my garden it won’t have any rights when i get the fvcking thing killed. 

The neighbours cat sh#tes on my lawn, and beds itself on the roof of the wives cabriolet mohair soft top, it has even scratched the roof. Believe you me I am not happy about these fcuking antics. However I am an animal lover so we bought a car cover for  £ 100. Try slicing lemons oranges garlic or tea tree oil around the area where the cat leaves it's mess, it does seem to work.

My cat loves killing butterflies but the other day a butterfly was trapped in my daughters tent and the cat was just sitting their watching although he could easily have killed it.

My mums cat once caught a dragonfly and bought it to her. The dragonfly was unharmed and could be let outside to fly away.

20 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

They gave up their chance to have any rights when they decided to be animals! :angry:

Damn right.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of food.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Damn right.

Speciesism is the only -ism I practise.

Some animal threatens me or my family, it's going down!

On 17/07/2018 at 20:54, Buce said:

Damn right.

I heard something similar.

If God dint want us to eat animals, He shouldnt have made them taste so good 

Just ate a BBQ .. Pig, Cow and Sausage.

(Not sure what sausages are made of? little of everything maybe? )

Edited by Suzie the Fox

5 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Never a truer word spoken.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

You really don't want to know, I promise you.

Just now, Suzie the Fox said:

I probably don't, you are right. I couldnt eat anything i have seen alive either. On the plus side, i have not seen many sausages running around on the hills of Melton Mowbray. 

About thirty or so years ago, I did a few months working as a truck driver delivering disinfectant, bleach etc, and one of my regular deliveries was to Pedigree Petfoods in Melton. I have never smelled anything so disgusting in my life as that factory - and I've been to Nottingham...

• Haha 1