Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jayfox26

formation/starting 11 For peterborough?

You answered my quote which by definition means you meant me. The reason anyone quotes another poster is to pass comment specifically on that post. You introduced the term 'thug' in response to my post.

Or are there some obscure variations to this concept when it concerns you?

You want to sit on the fence again don't you! Are you in denial?

Think you might be a bit obsessed with him... :unsure:

I would love something like this.

------------------------------------Kasper--------------------------------------

De Laet------Morgan-------------------------New CB/Whitbread------Konchesky

-----------------Drinky/James----------------King/Danns--------------------------

--Knockaert--------------------Marshall----------------------Nugent-------------------

----------------------------------Beckford-----------------------------------------------------

Then you have the likes of james, king, kennedy, waghorn, futacs, vardy, dyer, gallagher.

We do have a great strength of squad.

Sven aimed for 2 players per position, but NP has cleverly ensured 2 different types of players per position.

e.g. a quick striker (vardy) and a target man (futacs).

Amazes me how NP is labelled as a 'defensive manager', well look at those striking options.

No team in our league has as much variety of strikers as us.

I would love something like this.

------------------------------------Kasper--------------------------------------

De Laet------Morgan-------------------------New CB/Whitbread------Konchesky

-----------------Drinky/James----------------King/Danns--------------------------

--Knockaert--------------------Marshall----------------------Nugent-------------------

----------------------------------Beckford-----------------------------------------------------

Then you have the likes of james, king, kennedy, waghorn, futacs, vardy, dyer, gallagher.

We do have a great strength of squad.

Sven aimed for 2 players per position, but NP has cleverly ensured 2 different types of players per position.

e.g. a quick striker (vardy) and a target man (futacs).

Amazes me how NP is labelled as a 'defensive manager', well look at those striking options.

No team in our league has as much variety of strikers as us.

Me too. We've got 13 players.

imo NP will play RDL centre back with Wes and Moore right back, im sure Whitbread is NP's preferred cb with Wes but he obviously isnt ready yet, maybe unfit, certainly not match fit

If that was the case Moore would've been at right back throughout pre season with RDL at CB. But it hasn't.

Schmeichel

De Laet, Morgan, Whitbread/???, Konchesky

Marshall, Danns, Drinkwater/Trotter

:ph34r: , Knockaert

Beckford, Nugent

Subs - Logan, Kennedy, Whitbread/???, King, Dyer, Vardy, Futacs

Exactly the same as I said....except the trotter bit. Rodney is way too old to be our target man

Seeing as Whitbread hasn't started a single game yet in pre season I imagine he will get game time against Torquay and then Moore will play CB against Posh. With a player that has been unlucky with injuries recently it wouldn't be the best idea to chuck him in straight at the deep end of the first league game when he hasn't played any minutes of competitive football for well over 6 months.

My team would be:

4-2-3-1

Kasper

RDL

Morgan

Moore

Konchesky

Danns

Drinkwater

Knockaert

Marshall

Vardy

Beckford

Subs: Logan, Taft, James, King, Waghorn, Futacs, Nugent

I think we'll see a 4231, just seems that's what we've had in pre-season do far (albeit I haven't paid too much attention)

Kasper

De Laet

Morgan

Whitbread (depending fitness + new signings)

Konchesky

Drinkwater

Danns

Knockairt

Marshall

Vardy/Becks

Futacs

Also offers the chance for a standard 442 swap with Vardy/Becks + Futacs up top

I've not really been following the pre-season games so if someone could answer the following I'd be grateful.

There's a lot of talk here about playing Whitbread but is the guy actually match fit??

We signed a highly rated guy from Man utd reserves (james) yet quite a few on here don't include him some not even in the squad. Why? He was one of Pearson's main close season signings so I would have thought unless injured he would have been high up the list of possible starters.

Nugent and Beckford largely proved incompatible up front last season and surely Nugent has to start?

It seems as we approach the season that only Kaspar, Konchesky and Morgan look like definite starters. pearson's style ofplay as a championship manager seems very much to me to be a 1-0 mentality and I'm slightly concerned we don't appear to have a settled back five playing regularly together by now for one reason or another.

The midfield needs to keep the ball far better than last season and I really have no idea who is best suited to that role without seeing them play.

It was probably all beyond you.

Firstly, he didn't reference you directly in his 'thug' quote, he was making a more general point, it's clear to see and you throwing your toys out of the pram and having a little cry is a bit pathetic really. More importantly, why the **** would you care so much if he was referring to you? Would it be a stain on your honour? Would you demand pistols at dawn?

For the record, I think Babylon is bang on the money, this is such a backward way of thinking - it's addressing the effect of something, rather than the cause. What we should be looking at is why we lose posession so often, not who should win the ball back when we do. If our ball retention and distribution improve then our posession will improve. If our posession improves, we won't need this mythical ball-winning midfielder that everyone's saying is an absolute necessity. We're looking like we're starting to assemble a midfield who will be better with the ball now - Drinkwater is excellent at retaining posession and his passing is very good too, I've heard very good things about James in this regard too. Look at Swansea - where is there brick-shithouse, dirty tackling thug in midfield? They don't need one. Instead of trying to address the root problem, people would rather we went out, spent a load of money on some shit-kicking thug - I persoanlly think that's a total waste of money and doesn't really solve anything.

It seems as we approach the season that only Kaspar, Konchesky and Morgan look like definite starters. pearson's style ofplay as a championship manager seems very much to me to be a 1-0 mentality and I'm slightly concerned we don't appear to have a settled back five playing regularly together by now for one reason or another.

I'm about 99% convinced the back five for the large part of the season will be;

GK: Schmeichel

RB: De Laet

CB: Morgan

CB: Whitbread

LB: Konchesky

I think that's a fanastic back 5 for the Championship. Looking forward to shipping significantly fewer silly goals this season.

Firstly, he didn't reference you directly in his 'thug' quote, he was making a more general point, it's clear to see and you throwing your toys out of the pram and having a little cry is a bit pathetic really. More importantly, why the **** would you care so much if he was referring to you? Would it be a stain on your honour? Would you demand pistols at dawn?

For the record, I think Babylon is bang on the money, this is such a backward way of thinking - it's addressing the effect of something, rather than the cause. What we should be looking at is why we lose posession so often, not who should win the ball back when we do. If our ball retention and distribution improve then our posession will improve. If our posession improves, we won't need this mythical ball-winning midfielder that everyone's saying is an absolute necessity. We're looking like we're starting to assemble a midfield who will be better with the ball now - Drinkwater is excellent at retaining posession and his passing is very good too, I've heard very good things about James in this regard too. Look at Swansea - where is there brick-shithouse, dirty tackling thug in midfield? They don't need one. Instead of trying to address the root problem, people would rather we went out, spent a load of money on some shit-kicking thug - I persoanlly think that's a total waste of money and doesn't really solve anything.I wasn't aware that I was 'throwing my toys out of the pram' I was very calm throughout. However thank you for your interest.

I wasn't aware I was 'throwing my toys out of the pram'. I was very calm throughout. However thank you for your interest, and I am sure Babs appreciates you defending him/her.

For the record, I think Babylon is bang on the money, this is such a backward way of thinking - it's addressing the effect of something, rather than the cause. What we should be looking at is why we lose posession so often, not who should win the ball back when we do. If our ball retention and distribution improve then our posession will improve. If our posession improves, we won't need this mythical ball-winning midfielder that everyone's saying is an absolute necessity. We're looking like we're starting to assemble a midfield who will be better with the ball now - Drinkwater is excellent at retaining posession and his passing is very good too, I've heard very good things about James in this regard too. Look at Swansea - where is there brick-shithouse, dirty tackling thug in midfield? They don't need one. Instead of trying to address the root problem, people would rather we went out, spent a load of money on some shit-kicking thug - I persoanlly think that's a total waste of money and doesn't really solve anything.

This was a great post...until.... Even you spoilt your own argument and started talking about some shit kicking thug? No one is talking about some shit kicking thug.

A good defensive midfield ball winner is exactly that. A strong bloke, good in the tackle is very handy in a modern day 4-4-2, indeed in most formations. They can break up opposition attacks before they can really build up.

I get your point about ball retention. I've said on here times now that I very much like Drinkwater. But I'd like to see a player in this mould beside him. Though I also like Danns, they are too similar. People knock Steve Kean but a midfield of big Etuhu alongside Murphy pulling the strings makes great sense to me. They are different types of player. Ours seem too similar in their attributes, although I'm still waiting to see James.

I wasn't aware I was 'throwing my toys out of the pram'. I was very calm throughout. However thank you for your interest, and I am sure Babs appreciates you defending him/her.

Hounding someone for about ten posts after a throwaway comment in a post doesn't strike me as calm. It seems more like the actions of a braying moron.

This was a great post...until.... Even you spoilt your own argument and started talking about some shit kicking thug? No one is talking about some shit kicking thug.

A good defensive midfield ball winner is exactly that. A strong bloke, good in the tackle is very handy in a modern day 4-4-2, indeed in most formations. They can break up opposition attacks before they can really build up.

I get your point about ball retention. I've said on here times now that I very much like Drinkwater. But I'd like to see a player in this mould beside him. Though I also like Danns, they are too similar. People knock Steve Kean but a midfield of big Etuhu alongside Murphy pulling the strings makes great sense to me. They are different types of player. Ours seem too similar in their attributes, although I'm still waiting to see James.

That does seem to be the type of player some posters are after though - I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush. For example, one of the best ball winning midfielders around at the minute is Xabi Alonso - he's not your typical DM, he's not particularly big and strong, but his strengths lie in his neat tackling and clever distribution of the ball. Liverpool have never looked the same since he went. I'd much rather have a player like that, than say a Mascherano or a Cattermole.

That does seem to be the type of player some posters are after though - I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush. For example, one of the best ball winning midfielders around at the minute is Xabi Alonso - he's not your typical DM, he's not particularly big and strong, but his strengths lie in his neat tackling and clever distribution of the ball. Liverpool have never looked the same since he went. I'd much rather have a player like that, than say a Mascherano or a Cattermole.

It's interesting then how Mascherano plays regularly in one of the best club teams in the world and Cattermole has just signed a new contract and been made captain by a manager who has utilised the 'defensive midfielder' to great effect at every club he has managed.

It's interesting then how Mascherano plays regularly in one of the best club teams in the world and Cattermole has just signed a new contract and been made captain by a manager who has utilised the 'defensive midfielder' to great effect at every club he has managed.

Xabi Alonso also plays regularly in one of the best club teams in the world, what's your point? I think Alonso does a better job than Mascherano and does it far more elegantly and techincally. It's my opinion that when players do their job well, you almost don't notice they're doing it. Last minute tackles or blocks all look very good, but they're last minute because the players didn't do what they should have in the first place. That's why I like Andy King in that deep lying role, his tackling and distribution is actually a lot better than people give him credit for. If he was a bit bigger and stronger, he'd be an insanely good player.

As for Cattermole - he is the very definition of a thug, there's absolutely no doubt about that in my mind. Constantly getting sent off, making sickening challenges that could end players careers. I would never want a player like him or Barton or any of their ilk playing for my club. Yet doubtless there are people on here who would just say he is 'committed' and would love a player like that. Not for me.

Archived