Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

A proper defensive midfielder

Why do you always have to do this?

I'm not writing anyone off?

I posted over the summer about my belief that we need a bigger, tougher central midfielder. And I'm asking whether people agree or not. And also what type of player they consider James to be.

As usual, you simply distract away from the question I'm actually asking in the OP, because you refuse to discuss anything that may even be construed as negative.

It's not negative, it's a suggestion, an idea and a debate.

Oh and I should also add that this was discussed at some length pre season, by me, you and others. You posted the same thing in the post match thread as well... how many times do we need to discuss it?

What I said then still stands now, I don't think you definitely need that type of player as long as you have the right players around the pitch to work as a unit. Until we/I have seen them more I don't know how we can progress the discussion further than we already did pre season.

I don't think bossing the majority of games over Posh and Charlton is a particularly bad start though.

Were in for a long season if people think our defence is shit after conceeding twice in three games.

Same as last season... Many thought the defence was shit then too. Mills, Bamba, SSL.. Certainly Peltier...Whoever we played at the back the same old reason was given for conceding goals.

Oh and I should also add that this was discussed at some length pre season, by me, you and others. You posted the same thing in the post match thread as well... how many times do we need to discuss it?

What I said then still stands now, I don't think you definitely need that type of player as long as you have the right players around the pitch to work as a unit. Until we/I have seen them more I don't know how we can progress the discussion further than we already did pre season.

I don't think bossing the majority of games over Posh and Charlton is a particularly bad start though.

Other issues discussed pre season were Lloyd Dyer, Andy King, formations, starting 11's.. Need I go on?

Look at the list of topics only generated after yesterday's match...

:thumbup:

think a few are over-reacting, we have played 2 games & i think only Blackpool have won both(sorry if i'm wrong!!) but we ought to know by now how hard this league is, teams have been known to go from fighting relegation to being promoted so to write us off after 2 games is ridiculous. Get behind the boys & have a little faith in nfp & the squad. Come on Leicester!! :scarf:

Based on last night the answer is no. Drinkwater and King worked perfectly together. Drinkwater was all over the place breaking up play and King has that knack of being in the right place at the right time. There was some really shoddy defensive work at times by all parties but the fact of the matter is, that the centre backs were not good enough last night.

I understand what you're saying based on last year but I truly believe once we have Whitbread or St. Ledger back (never thought I would say that!) that we will actually be in a good position and promotion is a real possibility.

You're talking some strange stuff this morning Dave?

Why does a DM neccessitate 4-4-2?

Why not a 4-1-4-1 for instance?

I'm seriously pissed off after last night, plus my rhinitis is acting up which is why I am indoors spending far too much time on the interweb.

Cart before the horse there Col, it's the 4-4-2 that necessitates the defensive player, particularly if you play with 2 up and 2 wide as NFP appears to want to do.

This looks like a good place for me to put my current feelings on the central midfield.

The central midfield is our 'problem' at the moment.

After the Sunderland game I couldn't work out why so many were raving about James, and again on Saturday I didn't see James do anything of note, and couldn't get the raving about him and kept quiet.

Now for me he needs to be replaced.

Drinkwater can sit and spray the ball around whilst covering and what we need is Danns in the middle with him to drive the game on.

This looks like a good place for me to put my current feelings on the central midfield.

The central midfield is our 'problem' at the moment.

After the Sunderland game I couldn't work out why so many were raving about James, and again on Saturday I didn't see James do anything of note, and couldn't get the raving about him and kept quiet.

Now for me he needs to be replaced.

Drinkwater can sit and spray the ball around whilst covering and what we need is Danns in the middle with him to drive the game on.

So you wouldn't start King? Wow

A defensive midfielder, really?

I was at the game last night and the work that Danny Drinkwater and Matty James put in was superb. The only reason James was subbed was to give us more of an attacking threat. We weren't outplayed in the middle of the park.

It is again dealing with set pieces and crosses where we falter, as it was last season.

Drinkwater can play that role. I've seen him harrass and harry the opposition and has better ball retention than Danns.

King appears to have found some form again so him and Drinkwater for the forseeable (well, Saturday before we change for the Blackpool game).

I don't think any of our midfielders played poorly, Dyers' final ball apart I thought they all did quite well individually.

But there's the rub, at no point did they really get it together as a unit. Marshall was left isolated and ineffective for large parts of the game, the central pairing were tidy and reasonably combative but did little to support our defence that was clearly having trouble, etc, etc.

I feel it is a team problem and just swapping a few players will not make the difference...... :(

I don't think any of our midfielders played poorly, Dyers' final ball apart I thought they all did quite well individually.

But there's the rub, at no point did they really get it together as a unit. Marshall was left isolated and ineffective for large parts of the game, the central pairing were tidy and reasonably combative but did little to support our defence that was clearly having trouble, etc, etc.

I feel it is a team problem and just swapping a few players will not make the difference...... :(

Marshall was clearly identified as our danger man by Powell and was marked out of the game by Charlton, he had about two men on him at all times, he wasn't isolated, he was well-marked. I disagree that the defence was 'clearly having trouble' too - there was a 20 minute spell in the first half where Charlton scored completely against the run of play and where they made a basic error for Kermorgant's goal. Other than that I thought they looked fairly composed in the first half and in the second half Charlton couldn't get near us.

I agree there are problems that need to be adressed, but your assertion that it's all down to Pearson and his formation and tactics seems like it's becoming an obsession for you and it's blinding you to the real problems in the side. On another night we would have scored three or four goals from the chances we created in that second half. Creating chances isn't the problem, defending isn't the problem. It was the loss of concentration that led to the first goal and the lack of mental strength from the players to refocus after that setback which annoyed me - it shouldn't take Pearson getting them into the changing room at half time and giving them a bollocking to pick themselves back up after conceding. If their heads hadn't dropped after the first goal, we could have gone in at HT 1 down or maybe even having scored an equaliser. I have no problems with the team selection, the formation, or the tactics last night, as we deserved at least a point from that game - unfortunately, it was just one of those games.

Man City have possibly the best one in Yaya Toure ( who can also score goals) and have now signed Rodwell having sold DeJong.

Touré's not a defensive midfielder. De Jong (who's not sold by the way, where did you get that from?) and Rodwell are the defensive midfielders when they play with Touré having a much more offensive role. Odd example...

There are loads of teams with better central midfield partnerships than us in this division.

I wouldn't put us in the top ten of best central midfield partnerships in the Championship.

I'm not sure I agree KF

Drinky is a good player, I like him.

Danns ain't bad.

King is good at what he does

James... I have no idea about yet.

So I can't compare them yet with other teams midfields.

My issue is that they all seem to similar in how they play their game.

For Drinkwater you have James, for Danns you have King. Which of them really does what role exactly. Someone on another thread mentioned that we looked much better last night when King took on a more defensive position and mopped up the loose balls. Is that King's natural role?

How about we get somebody in to do THAT job well so that King can get forward more?

I dunno... Maybe James is the answer and our midfield will dominate games. I'm only putting it out there...

With any luck we'll go on to stuff Blackburn now.

Archived