Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Blackburn Post Match Thread 2-1

The point I'm making which a few of you appear to be a little too dense to grasp is that satisfying ourselves with good performances and assuming that things will come good for no other reason than 'we deserve it' or simply 'we'd like it go' is a very very dangerous attitude.

NP has a hell of a lot of work to do. Time to earn his money.

I realise this isn't the blue mongie way and that I'm meant to just clap and dream and assume it will all be better 'next week' but 'next week' isn't me. I'm a man of action and a man of results, I don't really deal in maybes, perhapses or hopefullys.

Don't think anyone claps and assumes after the shite we've been served up since NP's first tenure-ship, during which time Sven & NP himself served up total garbage

There's plenty different with today's performance though if you can't see that, then enjoy the bank holiday weekend crying into your pint.

We could focus on the negatives, but there really weren't that many, the first goal was a bit of class after a mistake by Konch, the second was after a fortunate deflection and another quality finish. Of the chances we missed Nugent should have scored his point blank header, but credit to Robinson and Vardy should have done better with the one he curled wide, other than that we were stopped by some very good last ditch defending and goal keeping.

Our general play and chance creation was excellent against a team of internationals with a lot of premiership experience, if we perform like that we will win 9 times out of 10 and if we were high on confidence and on a bit of a run then we would have buried those chances and more.

I thought we played like that on Weds - that means we can only win 8 out of 10 already!!!

The point I'm making which a few of you appear to be a little too dense to grasp is that satisfying ourselves with good performances and assuming that things will come good for no other reason than 'we deserve it' or simply 'we'd like it go' is a very very dangerous attitude.

I realise this isn't the blue mongie way and that I'm meant to just clap and dream and assume it will all be better 'next week' but 'next week' isn't me. I'm a man of action and a man of results, I don't really deal in maybes, perhapses or hopefullys.

So if you have a different attitude how are going to change things? Perhaps you could write a letter or confront Pearson, being a man of action as you are.

I am also not sure you know what the words 'very' and 'dangerous' mean.

Watched the stream and obviously don't agree that it was a fantastic performance. BBC site says we had 43% possession to their 57% and I'd say they are not far wrong. Vardy looked good when he woke up and more importantly actually had the ball played to him and Knockeart looks great. De Laet looked like a schoolboy when Pederson turned him and Konch, as stated before, was all over the place, especially for their first goal. Arguably, the decision to take Drinkwater off cost us the game as Danns was off the pace and giving the ball away (his mistake to start the second goal for them)

So, tactically, why not play Knocky from the start (Dyer was pointless as ever) - it means that Andy King (who is reborn) will get better service but more importantly, having Marshall and Knocky will get the ball to Vardy, who looks strong (don't know about his first touch in the opening games but it was spot on today)

Less route 1 than I thought but ironically, with Vardy up against two of the smallest central defenders ever, it might have been a good idea - but does Nige have good ideas?

And having watched the stream as you said, you must know that's a pile of sh*t.

Watched the stream and obviously don't agree that it was a fantastic performance. BBC site says we had 43% possession to their 57% and I'd say they are not far wrong. Vardy looked good when he woke up and more importantly actually had the ball played to him and Knockeart looks great. De Laet looked like a schoolboy when Pederson turned him and Konch, as stated before, was all over the place, especially for their first goal. Arguably, the decision to take Drinkwater off cost us the game as Danns was off the pace and giving the ball away (his mistake to start the second goal for them)

So, tactically, why not play Knocky from the start (Dyer was pointless as ever) - it means that Andy King (who is reborn) will get better service but more importantly, having Marshall and Knocky will get the ball to Vardy, who looks strong (don't know about his first touch in the opening games but it was spot on today)

Less route 1 than I thought but ironically, with Vardy up against two of the smallest central defenders ever, it might have been a good idea - but does Nige have good ideas?

I have to say I was immediately concerned about that substitution. We were going for the win when he came on and our attacking shape meant there was a lot of space in behind. The last thing we needed to do was to add a player who is prone to conceding possession as easily as Danns does.

I thought we played like that on Weds - that means we can only win 8 out of 10 already!!!

We played much better than on Tuesday, and against better players, we didn't let our heads drop when we conceded and continued the pressure and were unlucky not to equalise before half time.

We didn't panic under O'Neill after Sheffield United in '96, we didn't panic when we lost 1-6 to Ipswich in '02, we didn't panic when we finished 17th in Jock Wallace's first season, or didn't go up in O'Farrell's first full campaign. We didn't panic when Little lost back-to-back play-offs and fans spat at him during a dip in form in the 93-94 season.

But we did panic when we lost a play-off semi final two years ago. And thank God we did. Thank God we had chaps like you around to panic for us when we needed it most.

Ran out of +1's, but spot on

The performances have been very good and very encouraging. Today should have been at least a draw - the disallowed goal clearly should have stood. We are creating more than enough chances to win games, we're just not getting the rub of the green at the moment.

I'm not naive enough to think there aren't problems, we need to work on our finishing and we need to work on our concentration in defence, but these are problems that we can fix. Blackburn did not have a sniff for almosWether entire game. We know Vardy, Beckford and Nugent can finish, we need to get them doing the business because we are creating a lot of goal scoring chances every game at the moment. I think once we get Whitbread in at centre back we'll be a lot more assured, Moore has done an admirable job and certainly doesn't look out of place, but I think the experience of Whitbread will certainly make a difference.

Am I annoyed at our results? Yes, it's frustrating, especially when we have played as well as we have. Am I worried? No, I think there are a few issues to be ironed out, but the signs are there that we have the makings of a team that is good enough to get promoted from this league.

They might have had more possession, but what you do with it is more important.

Shots

On target

BR 8 LC 12

Off target

BR 4 LC 7

Corners

BR 3 LC 12

I think the reason Knockaert isn't starting is because he isn't quite at the same level of fitness as the others yet.

Only that's not what you actually said, is it?

Whoever said don't panic is spot on. We didn't panic under Holloway and that ended well. We were too good to go down that year and so it showed. Good job we didn't panic. Results are meaningless. Fu ck results, let's just play well and remember we are too good to go down. Too good to go down.

You suggested that we should have acted quicker to get rid of Holloway or that Holloway should have acted quicker to avert the threat of relegation. Fair enough, but to imply that the situation then, five points off the bottom on the table with fifteen games remaining, in some way equates to the situation now is simply wrong.

THIS is what I have a problem with.

If you'd read the bulk of the positive posts about today's game you'd see that people are very worried about defensive frailties, tactical miscalculations and the failure to take chances. Yet I'm far more worried that someone is saying that the club should act fast after three league games, especially as we all know what 'acting fast' constitutes in your book. You've long since made your feelings clear re: Pearson (ie that he should have been fired four months ago), but if you think long and hard you'll remember that we fired a manager just three league games into that ill-fated 2007-08 season.

I'm pleased to hear that you're 'a man of action and a man of results'. Just the sort of chap we need to drag us out of this malaise then. Perhaps, as you are clearly such a born champ you'd like to glance back over my previous post which pointed out how patience had been central to our successes in 1971, 1981, 1994, 1996 and 2003. The decision to support the manager may well have preceded some of our recent catastrophes (though I don't think we can say that applies to the 2007-08 season when we got through three of them), but it has also preceded pretty much every major success in the club's recent history.

Sven was blessed with a year in the job, three times the money given to Pearson (and a greater wage bill) and wasn't sacked until thirteen games into the new season. I didn't call for his sacking, but understood it perfectly. The implication, however, that Pearson ALREADY finds himself in the same position is absurd and ignorant of pretty much our club's entire history.

If you were suggesting simply that things were, as Col said, 'far from rosy' then I'd be with you. But that's not what you're saying is it?

I remember another fantastic 'man of action' by the name of Milan Mandaric. You'd have loved him.

A fair summary.

Exact opposite from the stream I saw... Our passing and composure (for a change) were spot on and the game was well under control apart from the fact they scored 2 of their only 3 shots. Whereas Robinson played a blinder and won the game for them, and when it wasn't Robinson on 3 occasions a defender was there to kick it off the line

Interesting, I thought our passing, particularly in the final third, was loose and over ambitious with many of the final passes over hit..... :dunno:

Also, as you alluded, Blackburn defended in depth and we didn't, Blackburn beat a defender and were in on goal, we beat a defender and the covering man closed us down..... :cry:

Daylight robbery - just got back from the match and cant believe we got beaten. We bossed the game totally and it is really hard to criticise anyone - every player played their hearts out. BUT next week we got Blackpool and need a result! So gutted though we were superb - they literally had two shots

Unfortunately I think you've demonstrated what I would consider 'the blue mongie way' in your post.

What exactly leads you to expect results at this stage of the season? We overreached for a few years in the Prem. We are at our level. We need to improve, sure. Criticism and over analysis from fans won't help our cause in any way. The only thing we can do for our team is be positive and avoid adding to the pre-existing pressure.

Yes but kidding ourselves won't help. Football is a game of scoring more than the opposition. Understand that simple fact and (aside from refereeing decisions which I swear half of you think there is a conspiracy against us) im pretty sure you will agree that you get what you deserve. They don't hand out points for possession or passes or shots on target. The league is a wonderful concept based on ore agreed rules. We've got what we've deserved. Anyone banging on about 'performances' can bloody well be pleased then that we got 'that' creditable 1v1 draw at stoke. Pat on the back. Results matter to me. Not performances + arrogance.

Yours,

Blue Mongie.

Yes but kidding ourselves won't help. Football is a game of scoring more than the opposition. Understand that simple fact and (aside from refereeing decisions which I swear half of you think there is a conspiracy against us) im pretty sure you will agree that you get what you deserve. They don't hand out points for possession or passes or shots on target. The league is a wonderful concept based on ore agreed rules. We've got what we've deserved. Anyone banging on about 'performances' can bloody well be pleased then that we got 'that' creditable 1v1 draw at stoke. Pat on the back. Results matter to me. Not performances + arrogance.

Yours,

Blue Mongie.

We don't often see eye to eye, but every word I agree with - It's not hard to understand is it?

Hey, atleast we played well today though...How many bonus points do we get for that again?!

Yours,

Blue Mongie.

I presume you were on here saying the same after our pathetic displays against Reading and Bristol last year in game two and three then?... Oh no that was Sven and you liked him so that was ok.

Archived