Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Blackburn Post Match Thread 2-1

Wasn't to be, played well again and lost. A long way to go keep playing like that and we will win more than we lose. NP has gone for a smaller squad and it most be a blow to have Whitbread and SSL both out at the moment. Perhaps Moore needs a bit of a break but personally thought Konch had a poor game today. Knockeart is finding his feet and most be due a start instead of Dyer.

This time last year had 3pts from 3 games and played awful against Bristol City and Reading yet cannot remember people calling for Sven to go.

For those that didn't see the game we dominated for 95% of the game, they had a few chances, the first was just a good finish from a quality player (Portuguese cvnt), the second was off a nasty defelection when we were caught on the break, that sucks.

We played fantastically, we dominated them in every area of the pitch, only Konchesky would get less than a 7 from me, they caused us no problems in the first half, despite their quality, we played some lovely football similar to Swansea, who I watched earlier today, going forwards we were superb except for one area, finishing, even then Blackburn had the toe of a stretching defender to deny King in the first half, 2 goal line clearances in the second, not to mention a clear goal ruled out.

Nugent and Vardy had a much better understanding than Vardy and Beckford, King and Drinkwater dominated in the middle and Marshall and Dyer were constant threats down the flanks, we are so close to becoming a real force, and I'm not just talking about getting into the play-offs, with the nucleus of a young side we have the potential to go up, stay up and play some beautiful football in the process.

Forget the result, this won't be the only time this season we lose when we should have won, and we will pick up points we don't deserve along the way, we need to just look forward to what promises to be a great season ahead.

Agree with this, but you're forgetting the referee. Game changers is what they are and they continue to give bizarre decisions against us.

Until this stops, can't see things improving.

You just continue down your blinkered line...

This side has the makings of a really good side, but we must tighten up defensively, as a team, when away from home.

At home we'll do well, away from home we've already lost two and conceded four goals.

Sorry but where the feck does blinkered come from?

You said you weren't so concerned about missing chances but you were about defending. Well if we'd taken our chances we would have won.

Are you suggesting that Liam Moore is at fault. Thought he had a reasonable game and can certainly not be blamed for either goal. Fail to see your point.

No I am not putting the blame on him but I'd rather have an experienced CB like SSL or Whitebread than an unproven youngster. have you manged to see my point.

Ok so we are dominating teams...and losing. What is going to happen when we aren't on top in matches?

The truth is once again like last year when we come up against teams we NEED to be taking points from, we are losing. The harsh reality is that the performance does not matter in the overall scale of things, we are toothless up front, and porous at the back, these are big concerns to have.

Our next game is against Blackpool...a team who are DESTROYING the opposition at the moment, then we have Wolverhampton Wanderers away. Are we going to dominate those teams like we did Blackburn Rovers today? A team who are shit scared of playing at home? A team who didn't have their main man Kazim-Richards on the park?

We played better than a newly promoted Charlton Athletic side who aren't up to speed yet (and still beat us) and a Peterborough United who are relegation candidates for this year. I certainly wouldn't say we are looking anything like automatic promotion chasers right now.

The next two games could be absolutely critical in terms of our season. We lose or fail to win either and the pressure will be massive, the owners will be getting twitchy, the media will be asking "what happened?", and the fans will be beginning to severely lose patience. We need a win and we need it now. I pray we can come good and deliver.

you've made me even more miserable

For those that didn't see the game we dominated for 95% of the game, they had a few chances, the first was just a good finish from a quality player (Portuguese cvnt), the second was off a nasty defelection when we were caught on the break, that sucks.

We played fantastically, we dominated them in every area of the pitch, only Konchesky would get less than a 7 from me, they caused us no problems in the first half, despite their quality, we played some lovely football similar to Swansea, who I watched earlier today, going forwards we were superb except for one area, finishing, even then Blackburn had the toe of a stretching defender to deny King in the first half, 2 goal line clearances in the second, not to mention a clear goal ruled out.

Nugent and Vardy had a much better understanding than Vardy and Beckford, King and Drinkwater dominated in the middle and Marshall and Dyer were constant threats down the flanks, we are so close to becoming a real force, and I'm not just talking about getting into the play-offs, with the nucleus of a young side we have the potential to go up, stay up and play some beautiful football in the process.

Forget the result, this won't be the only time this season we lose when we should have won, and we will pick up points we don't deserve along the way, we need to just look forward to what promises to be a great season ahead.

If you feel like being negative, read this. Disagree about Dyer but the rest is spot on. We'll be just fine when we start scoring but as it is next Saturday should really have been the battle of teams with maximum points.

Sorry but where the feck does blinkered come from?

You said you weren't so concerned about missing chances but you were about defending. Well if we'd taken our chances we would have won.

You're simply looking at chances missed rather than goals conceded. Both matter.

That's why you're blinkered.

I thought it was a good performance against a shocking looking Blackburn.

At one point I thought Blackburn weren't even interested in the game but I'd like to think it was us that made them look poor and but we'll see next Saturday when Blackpool visit us how good we are.

We still look slow to react to situations at the back which is a concern and needs sorting out pronto but the two goals they did score were taken with precision.

I'm glad Vardy has got off the mark in the league hopefully it will settle him down and he can bag lots more for us. His 2nd goal today looked perfectly fine to me but I missed the replay as I was celebrating so don't know if it was offside, it must of been very marginal if so.

Anyway, no panic it's only 3 games. I think we look a very decent side this season and we just need to iron out a few kinks and we'll be away and flying, hopefully.

Full backs at fault for the respective goals.

To go 2-1 with 10 minutes to go and not bring anyone one until the 89th is criminal. We had 3 strikers on the bench. We deserved the win but due to a dodgy set if officials and failure to convert a couple of clear cut chances we're licking the wounds.

It might be early days but there's no reason why we shouldn't have 9 points on the board.

Sums it up for me, dont panic people, we looked really good. Sure, we missed chances, and conceded, but we look a million miles better than last year - or the year before that - or before that - or before that. At last, an exciting City team going forward. Early days, we'll be thereabouts at the end of the season. If you want to worry, worry for Saints, losing 2-0 at home to Wigan!! woohoo!! Must have been a home banker for them, and the shity saints lose. We'll be taking their place next season. And Pompey lost as well, it aint that bad being a fox in Hampshire tonight.

Great stuff today, except result obviously

Konch was absolutely awful, but the level of performance was great from everyone else... except the frickin linesman

Passing sorted, energy levels & motivation sorted, creating chances sorted.

Got all the ingredients to storm it and if we keep doing what we're doing then along with SSL & Whitbread to come in we'll be way more than fine.

I don't think Konch was as bad as that, but I said in a thread last season that I spot a lot of small (but often crucial) errors that he makes, that the many admirers on here don't seem to pick up. For the first goal today he made a mistake that set up their attack in the first place, and then another mistake in the same move that gifted them the opening for the scoring shot. I'm amazed that Kennedy hasn't been given a go,at the very least to rest Konch occasionally; he appeared very effective in the few opportunities he was given last season.

Results don't lie. The performance was largely promising but we have to focus on the things that we could have done better.

Firstly to start a season with a 19 year-old right back in the centre of defence isn't acceptable, at least not when you've been the division's biggest spenders during the summer. It's no surprise we've conceded four goals in two games we've dominated.

Secondly it's worrying that we're both conceding every time opposition teams test us AND failing to take our chances. As a realist, I have to say that the early signs aren't all that great.

Thirdly we can't treat this as if it was a textbook performance. Konchesky was awful (I've posted in the past about his fairly frequent 'off days'). He cost us the first goal and gave away possession repeatedly, not least in the 92nd minute when he had a great chance to whip one final ball in.

Moreover the second goal was entirely avoidable. We lost our cohesion after Drinkwater went off - and though I don't think Danns did anything wrong, this could count as a tactical error. In fact, he came off second best in a 50-50 in the build-up to their second and De Laet, who had been otherwise outstanding, was also made to look a fool.

On top of that, the last minute introduction of Beckford, at the expense of Marshall (our key set piece taker, the player with the most assists so far this year, and one of only two players we have who can slap them in from 30 yards) in the 89th minute was baffling to say the least.

Finally, while Dyer had a respectable first half he looked extremely shaky at the start of the second. It was a big call for Pearson to go with him ahead of Knockaert and I don't thing we can say it paid off.

So yes, for the second time in a week there are promising signs, but there's no avoiding the result and we mustn't pretend that our defeat owes solely to bad luck and poor refereeing. We'll play worse and win games, but we have to look seriously at our defects and remember that if we lose next week the clock will truly be ticking for Pearson, be it fair or not.

Sterling post. agree with you there.

At least we're only 3 league games in and not 3 left to go. The table means nothing at this stage.

Still looking forward to the upcoming games and when (not if) we do take our chances along with our brilliant performances (and a bit more luck with the refs) we will win games no problem. ;)

P.S. Dyer needs to be dropped and Knockaert needs to start from now on.

For those that didn't see the game we dominated for 95% of the game, they had a few chances, the first was just a good finish from a quality player (Portuguese cvnt), the second was off a nasty deflection when we were caught on the break, that sucks.

Agree with the sentiment of this, though I felt Dyer faded significantly - and, as regards your final paragraph, I'm yet to be convinced the 'great season ahead' is guaranteed if we can neither take our chances nor do anything to stop the opposition taking theirs.

Perspective.

This time last year we sat on three points the same as we do now and had lost two games back to back. But that is where the comparisons end.

Those two back to back losses were at home against a Reading team having an awful start and a crap Bristol City team. We went down in those games without as much as a wimper and the performances were frankly shocking. Coming home after that Bristol game I was seriously worried about us.

The last two games we've played away from home against a relegated team with a decent bunch of players still and a newly promoted team. Now considering people always say we did well under Pearson because we had momentum coming up form league one, people can't say it wasn't a tricky game.

The first game we dominated for 65 minutes, generally played well and created a hat full of chances. Today we probably bossed the game for all but the moments they scored, playing some great football in the process and making a shit load of chances and unjustly having one ruled out.

Are there things to be concerned about. Yes we need to take our chances and we need to keep switched on for the whole 90 minutes at the back even when on top. But performances do matter, just as the terrible performances against Reading and Bristol mattered then. The difference is I'm not sat here worried about our future, i'm sat her thinking with some minor tweaks we could really be on to something with this group of players.

We're are playing some exciting, bright, pacy attacking football that at times was a joy to watch. Which is a million miles from how I felt on the 17th August last year against Bristol.

Results don't lie. The performance was largely promising but we have to focus on the things that we could have done better.

Firstly to start a season with a 19 year-old right back in the centre of defence isn't acceptable, at least not when you've been the division's biggest spenders during the summer. It's no surprise we've conceded four goals in two games we've dominated.

Secondly it's worrying that we're both conceding every time opposition teams test us AND failing to take our chances. As a realist, I have to say that the early signs aren't all that great.

Thirdly we can't treat this as if it was a textbook performance. Konchesky was awful (I've posted in the past about his fairly frequent 'off days'). He cost us the first goal and gave away possession repeatedly, not least in the 92nd minute when he had a great chance to whip one final ball in.

Moreover the second goal was entirely avoidable. We lost our cohesion after Drinkwater went off - and though I don't think Danns did anything wrong, this could count as a tactical error. In fact, he came off second best in a 50-50 in the build-up to their second and De Laet, who had been otherwise outstanding, was also made to look a fool.

On top of that, the last minute introduction of Beckford, at the expense of Marshall (our key set piece taker, the player with the most assists so far this year, and one of only two players we have who can slap them in from 30 yards) in the 89th minute was baffling to say the least.

Finally, while Dyer had a respectable first half he looked extremely shaky at the start of the second. It was a big call for Pearson to go with him ahead of Knockaert and I don't thing we can say it paid off.

So yes, for the second time in a week there are promising signs, but there's no avoiding the result and we mustn't pretend that our defeat owes solely to bad luck and poor refereeing. We'll play worse and win games, but we have to look seriously at our defects and remember that if we lose next week the clock will truly be ticking for Pearson, be it fair or not.

Good post.

Archived