Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Leicester City 1 - 0 Blackpool

For those who are unfamiliar with how this works, the following is a word cloud based on match reports from the BBC and Blackpool's official website, displaying words in different sizes according to their frequency. The word cloud has been created using wordle.net.

leicesterawaywordle.png

Like the fact it says King Ben in there.

While I wouldn't say that Beckford had an outstanding 13 minutes + stoppage time, it does make me laugh that so many people are focusing on his alleged ineptitude as a striker when the game was (barring a questionable penalty) goalless throughout and we were unable to put it to bed even when Beckford wasn't on the pitch. He had a couple of erratic shots after coming on as a sub in a fast-paced game in front of a crowd who have already decided they don't like him. It's not surprising he's not at his best.

It's made worse by the fact that virtually anything bad that happens anywhere on the pitch somehow ends up being Beckford's fault; the dickheads who sit near me every week constantly bollock Beckford if he flicks a ball on and it goes nowhere, but also if somebody else does the same thing and Beckford wasn't there to receive it. If he doesn't track back he is lazy, but if he does he is erratic, out of position and shouldn't be collecting the ball midway in his own half. And when he is visibly angry with himself for underachieving, it's never because he's passionate and wants to do well for himself and the club, it's because he is immature and petulant.

I shudder to think what the reaction would have been like if it was Beckford who missed Dyer's point-blank chance against Blackpool, or his or Nugent's 1-on-1 away at Charlton, or Vardy's 6-yard-out header straight into the keeper's arms in the same game. He'd need a new identity.

My thoughts are that it was a very solid win again but one thing concerns me a little and trust me I despise all the negative talk, but I do feel yet again we weren't clinical enough. I felt we dominated long parts of the game and whilst it's proven enough, we actually only had a penalty goal to show for it. It's a good win and a far better defensive display but I am a little concerned at that.

But that's not taking anything away from us, we were solid for the 90 and not a single player was poor for me. King MOTM closely followed by Morgan.

Ian Holloway becomes the second character this season who I was in a minority of LCFC fans to have little criticism for, the other being Kermorgant, but like Kermo, he can get fvcked, only on a bigger scale because he was absolutely embarrassing.

I'll be singing anti-Holloway songs a lot louder than normal in February, he was bitter and extremely embarrassing.

For those who are unfamiliar with how this works, the following is a word cloud based on match reports from the BBC and Blackpool's official website, displaying words in different sizes according to their frequency. The word cloud has been created using wordle.net.

leicesterawaywordle.png

Love it. Both Marshall & Vardy were individually more effective than Matt/Kevin Phillips put together.

Another outstanding first half that unfortunately didnt bring us the goals that i think we desereved, again we were first to the ball and making so many options. I think our wing play was outstanding and created a number of real opportunties.

The type of football we are playing is something to be proud of and the fact that we effectively "stole" a result this week is hopefully a sign that the tide is turning and out great football will bring the results it deserves.

Great game, great result...cmon yooooo blooooooooosssssssssssss

While I wouldn't say that Beckford had an outstanding 13 minutes + stoppage time, it does make me laugh that so many people are focusing on his alleged ineptitude as a striker when the game was (barring a questionable penalty) goalless throughout and we were unable to put it to bed even when Beckford wasn't on the pitch. He had a couple of erratic shots after coming on as a sub in a fast-paced game in front of a crowd who have already decided they don't like him. It's not surprising he's not at his best.

It's made worse by the fact that virtually anything bad that happens anywhere on the pitch somehow ends up being Beckford's fault; the dickheads who sit near me every week constantly bollock Beckford if he flicks a ball on and it goes nowhere, but also if somebody else does the same thing and Beckford wasn't there to receive it. If he doesn't track back he is lazy, but if he does he is erratic, out of position and shouldn't be collecting the ball midway in his own half. And when he is visibly angry with himself for underachieving, it's never because he's passionate and wants to do well for himself and the club, it's because he is immature and petulant.

I shudder to think what the reaction would have been like if it was Beckford who missed Dyer's point-blank chance against Blackpool, or his or Nugent's 1-on-1 away at Charlton, or Vardy's 6-yard-out header straight into the keeper's arms in the same game. He'd need a new identity.

+1

Just wanted to make a point on the centre midfield.....

I know alot of people on here have craved for a tough tackling physical player in there which yes, would be a nice option, but i honeslty think we can get by without. Drinkwater and King look very good and both still young lets not forget. James, i think, will become a good player in time, he needs time to settle and find his feet and is probably a long term replacement for Wellens.

Then that still leaves Wellens himself and Danns who can both do a job.

Drinkwater, in particular, looks like he's got alot of quality and will only improve

I thought Drinkwater was fairly poor on Saturday. However, he has been superb in the other games i've seen him this season. King is back, he's playing as well as he's ever played right now and i'm sure there's more to come from him.

3 out of the 4 midfielders we currently pick i'm happy with. Looking forward to when Nigel thinks Knoackert is ready to start games and tear teams new ones.

I thought Drinkwater was fairly poor on Saturday. However, he has been superb in the other games i've seen him this season. King is back, he's playing as well as he's ever played right now and i'm sure there's more to come from him.

3 out of the 4 midfielders we currently pick i'm happy with. Looking forward to when Nigel thinks Knoackert is ready to start games and tear teams new ones.

Surprised you thought Drinky was poor, i thought he was pretty good. Granted he wasnt as good as previous games but looks alot sharper this year.

Agreed on Knockaert though, I think NP is doing just the right thing with him and easing him in gently but he gets unleashed!

Thought Kingy and Drinkwater were fantastic as a pair. King slightly edging Drinkwater to the best midfielder. However, Drinkwaters ability to keep the ball is unreal, he is going to be a key player for us this season. I personally and happy with Kingy and Drinkwater - all this talk of "being too lightweight" was utter bs.

Just wanted to make a point on the centre midfield.....

I know alot of people on here have craved for a tough tackling physical player in there which yes, would be a nice option, but i honeslty think we can get by without. Drinkwater and King look very good and both still young lets not forget. James, i think, will become a good player in time, he needs time to settle and find his feet and is probably a long term replacement for Wellens.

Then that still leaves Wellens himself and Danns who can both do a job.

Drinkwater, in particular, looks like he's got alot of quality and will only improve

The midfield played very well on Saturday and controlled much of the game.

However, there two best chances (both by Tom Ince) were when he got through on the edge of the area and was unchallenged.

The first half shot, Kasper made a great save but you could see on Ince's face he knew he should have scored. The second half one was the little dribble into the box and he screwed his shot wide.

These are the type of goals City have been conceding (or look at risk of conceding). Morgan wins most stuff in the air, so we are ok there.

I remain concerned about the gap between our defence and a tiring midfield when we don't get back quick enough to put in that important challenge around our own penalty box.

Teams WILL continue to expose us in this area unless we sort out the right tactics/formation to support the backline when it happens.

On another day, young Ince may well have taken both chances and we could have been looking at a different scoreline.

Anyone who goes on about this being a negative statement... Do one!

I think it's apparent and, despite our excellent display on Saturday I remain convinced that this is still our potential Achilles heel.

Another outstanding first half that unfortunately didnt bring us the goals that i think we desereved, again we were first to the ball and making so many options. I think our wing play was outstanding and created a number of real opportunties.

The type of football we are playing is something to be proud of and the fact that we effectively "stole" a result this week is hopefully a sign that the tide is turning and out great football will bring the results it deserves.

Great game, great result...cmon yooooo blooooooooosssssssssssss

This is now three league games on the trot where we have 'dominated' for long spells without ever truly looking like winners, and yes I include yesterday.

It took a dodgy penalty to get us the points and as usual we made few really clear cut chances, yet pretty much everyone had a decent game..... :dunno:

Yet more evidence (to me anyway) that it is our formation and setup that is not working effectively..... :(

And no, it isn't luck!

Worried about Nugent's form atm, barring Vardy none of our forwards look up for it and are producing the goods imo.

Yeah slight concern to be fair and something i thought of. Its early days but 4 league games in and only Vardy scored of the forwards

Nugent likes to drop deep though or play in the channels so he's not always on there where he should be

However, there two best chances (both by Tom Ince) were when he got through on the edge of the area and was unchallenged.

The first half shot, Kasper made a great save but you could see on Ince's face he knew he should have scored. The second half one was the little dribble into the box and he screwed his shot wide.

These are the type of goals City have been conceding (or look at risk of conceding). Morgan wins most stuff in the air, so we are ok there.

I remain concerned about the gap between our defence and a tiring midfield when we don't get back quick enough to put in that important challenge around our own penalty box.

Teams WILL continue to expose us in this area unless we sort out the right tactics/formation to support the backline when it happens.

On another day, young Ince may well have taken both chances and we could have been looking at a different scoreline.

I think it's apparent and, despite our excellent display on Saturday I remain convinced that this is still our potential Achilles heel.

At home the midfield is in control almost 90% of the time, but away from home that has been the problem, we could do with a defensive midfielder away from home that is just a thought I have.

Think thats a fair point. Maybe we should be changing the system for certain stages of a game? I.e. bought on Matt James on Sat and gone to 3 in centre mid, leaving one up top?

Think thats a fair point. Maybe we should be changing the system for certain stages of a game? I.e. bought on Matt James on Sat and gone to 3 in centre mid, leaving one up top?

I must confess mate that's why I thought at the time.

But let's be honest... A bit more composure from Beckford (both with his shot and his pass to Vardy) and we could have scored more against a Blackpool team that had pushed forward looking for the equaliser.

So I don't think it was Niges substitution that didn't work, just Beckford's display.

Yeah yeah yeah... Beckford again from Col!

:yawn:

lol

At home the midfield is in control almost 90% of the time, but away from home that has been the problem, we could do with a defensive midfielder away from home that is just a thought I have.

I guess it's wages but I'd still like to see Reo-Coker signed as that player you've mentioned.

I wouldn't play him every game, but in those games where we need to tighten up to not concede, possibly when the others begin to tire?

He'd be a solid squad member at this level with plenty of experience and available on a free.

This is now three league games on the trot where we have 'dominated' for long spells without ever truly looking like winners, and yes I include yesterday.

It took a dodgy penalty to get us the points and as usual we made few really clear cut chances, yet pretty much everyone had a decent game..... :dunno:

Yet more evidence (to me anyway) that it is our formation and setup that is not working effectively..... :(

And no, it isn't luck!

No i'm afraid it is. Had that Blackpool defender not have been stood directly in from of Dyers point blank range shot we'd have won. I agree that the penalty looked harsh, but we should have had one before that. Thing is, if we weren't getting into these position then we would never have won. Saturday was a turning point in that we had a result go for us. Also, we have scored in every game this season. It just now a case of taking our chances the first time round. Decent start to the season lets hope our form continues and our strikers start coming up with the goods.

Archived