Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Random stupid stuff that springs to mind... literally

Where did phrase honky for white people come from? Im white and just dont get it. Doesn't offend me but don't get the meaning? Somthing to do with car horns?

There's a crazy number of theories for that and, again, no definitive answer.

Because of the coriolis effect, in the northern hemisphere water draining down a plughole does so in a clockwork direction: in the southern hemisphere it drains counter-clockwise.

What happens at the equator?

Edited by Buce

Because of the coriolis effect, in the northern hemisphere water draining down a plughole does so in a clockwork direction: in the southern hemisphere it drains counter-clockwise.

They use holes in the ground? :)

Good question though and absolutely no idea!

It travels straight through the hole.

In my defence, from a practical point of view am I not right? If you're stood at the South Pole your feet face towards the centre of the Earth and until you hit the equator you're slightly leaning that way (if you imagine the Earth not to spin on an axis). I just kind of ignore the whole concept of North and a compass lol

You are Violent J of ICP and I claim my 100$.

A thought on 'God':

While we can argue back and forth (and have in another thread) about his/her/its existence, I would argue that we can prove that he/she/it cannot be omnipotent by the application of logic.

Can God make something that he/she/it cannot destroy?

At the dawn of time when people were handed surnames John had a daughter and a son.

Adam was named Adam Johnson whilst eve was Named Johndaughter.

Adam got married and kept his name. Eve married and took on her Husbands name.

The word daughter was forever lost in surname history.

Could this of happened?

Historically, in Nordic culture, a married woman retains her father's name by applying the suffix, 'dóttir' (daughter), so in your example, she would be Johnsdóttir.

That I'm considering giving up everything I've achieved here in the uk and jetting off to New York. All because I've fallen head over heels for an American bird I've known for like 5 days http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/laugh.png. Some one tell me love at first sight doesn't exist and I'm just being a fool, as I'm seriously considering this and I'm sure it's stupid. Sigh :<

Does Casablancas still post?? I wanna know what happened here lol

Talking of random stupid stuff, I read an article about Tristan Da Cunha a couple of weeks and I can't get it out of my head. I look it up on Google earth and read about it on wiki. I'm fascinated by the idea of living there although it's probably the most boring place on earth. Just the way my mind works.

Talking of random stupid stuff, I read an article about Tristan Da Cunha a couple of weeks and I can't get it out of my head. I look it up on Google earth and read about it on wiki. I'm fascinated by the idea of living there although it's probably the most boring place on earth. Just the way my mind works.

The British Pitcairn Islands are looking for new people. Population of about 50. They'll even give you some free land. The only problem is that they tend to alleviate the boredom by having sex with their kids.

Edited by MooseBreath

When I was a kid, the local post office was run by twin sisters from Tristan. Apparently, the islanders were evacuated here some time in the early 20th century due to some kind of natural disaster, and sisters never went back.

Was there any mention of this in the article, Webbo?

The British Pitcairn Islands are looking for new people. Population of about 50. They'll even give you some free land. The only problem is that they tend to alleviate the boredom by having sex with their kids.

Are they the ones who are decended from the mutineers from the 'Bounty'?

When I was a kid, the local post office was run by twin sisters from Tristan. Apparently, the islanders were evacuated here some time in the early 20th century due to some kind of natural disaster, and sisters never went back.

Was there any mention of this in the article, Webbo?

It was saying it's the most remote place on earth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2982772/Tristan-da-Cunha-world-s-remote-island.html

Yes it does mention this;

Prince Phillip, the second Duke of Edinburgh, also visited there on board the royal yacht Britannia in 1957.

Just four years later, the entire population was forced to evacuate to England via Cape Town when Queen Mary's Peak erupted.

Fortunately, the damage to The Settlement was found to be minimal and most residents returned in 1963. 

Are they the ones who are decended from the mutineers from the 'Bounty'?

Yep, only 50 people living there now.

Edited by Webbo

If you are born in England you are English

If you are born in France you are french

What are you if your born in the Vatican City?

I'm surprised anybody has raised the question, but unless you were heavily pregnant on a visit to the Vatican, and they simply couldn't get you to a hospital on time outside of the Vatican City itself. There isn't a local Vatican maternity ward!  lol  Maybe there a secret one for priest and nun offspring that we never hear about, perhaps Tom Hanks knows.

• 5 months later...

I want to know where the fvck "I turned round to him and says... And he turns round and says... And I turn round and says"... Why is everyone turning around? If you're having a conversation then keep your body pointed roughly toward the conversee.

It's generally used by thick people. Much the same as "literally" in place of "practically".

The missus says 'on the same token' quite a lot, know what it means but never really understood the logic behind it.

On a side note, 'business speak' has to be up their with the worst...

'Let's park that'

'We'll touch base on Thursday'

'Can you follow up with him?'

'Can I bounce something off you?'

'For aviodance of doubt'

'Let's close it'

...and thats just the tip of the iceberg.

Worst thing is that we've all used them...