Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Random stupid stuff that springs to mind... literally

On most world maps like this one, Greenland appears to be about the same size as Africa.

https://lh4.ggpht.com/dF6LwYphaV_B4t7heTcb04O1mZO1aZO_T4GrxA_6HbvGvLeYrCgpCQZmauFcf8gu7R7e=h900

Africa is actually 14 times larger than Greenland.

I have been a long time advocate of the Peters projection, which shows countries size relative to each other.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gall%E2%80%93Peters_projection

• Like 1

I want to know where the fvck "I turned round to him and says... And he turns round and says... And I turn round and says"... Why is everyone turning around? If you're having a conversation then keep your body pointed roughly toward the conversee.

It's generally used by thick people. Much the same as "literally" in place of "practically".

I think Pete Burns is to blame.

Edited by Mike Oxlong

The missus says 'on the same token' quite a lot, know what it means but never really understood the logic behind it.

On a side note, 'business speak' has to be up their with the worst...

'Let's park that'

'We'll touch base on Thursday'

'Can you follow up with him?'

'Can I bounce something off you?'

'For aviodance of doubt'

'Let's close it'

...and thats just the tip of the iceberg.

Worst thing is that we've all used them...

Gone right up my flagpole this has, I'm saluting this one. But lets put it on the back burner and think of turning bricks into clicks.

Edited by Great Boos Up

"for avoidance of doubt" is not an inelegant turn of phrase though surely- I use it quite a lot given some of the doughnuts I manage in my dept. lol

Dont get me wrong, I unashamedly use it all the time in work. Maybe its because I've just associated with work at this stage!

Talking of random stupid stuff, I read an article about Tristan Da Cunha a couple of weeks and I can't get it out of my head. I look it up on Google earth and read about it on wiki. I'm fascinated by the idea of living there although it's probably the most boring place on earth. Just the way my mind works.

Strangely enough this was in the paper today;

World's remotest inhabited island launches a bid to hire teachers - although applicants will have to take a seven-day voyage from Cape Town to get there

Shame I'm not a teacher. Perhaps Bilo ought to consider it after today. :D

Does anyone ever feel like they are living in The Truman Show and everyone else in 'life' is just an actor?

Sort of, I often wonder if all of this is just one big dream. That the people I go to work with are just figments of my imagination; I don't know what happens to them when I leave at 5 o clock....For all I know they just disappear until it's time for me to go back to work again in my dream.

I've told a few people about this, just for the sake of philosophical debate really (I don't really believe it, at least I think I dont), and the general consensus seems to be that I'm a mental. However, nobody will ever convince me that it's not a possibility....come up with all the facts and evidence you like because I might just be dreaming that you've come up with that evidence!

Sort of, I often wonder if all of this is just one big dream. That the people I go to work with are just figments of my imagination; I don't know what happens to them when I leave at 5 o clock....For all I know they just disappear until it's time for me to go back to work again in my dream.

I've told a few people about this, just for the sake of philosophical debate really (I don't really believe it, at least I think I dont), and the general consensus seems to be that I'm a mental. However, nobody will ever convince me that it's not a possibility....come up with all the facts and evidence you like because I might just be dreaming that you've come up with that evidence!

The only thing you can be certain of is that you exist (I think, therefore I am - Descartes). Of course, I exist because I'm typing this reply, but you - and your post - may just be a figment of my imagination.. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing you can be certain of is that you exist (I think, therefore I am - Descartes). Of course, I exist because I'm typing this reply, but you - and your post - may just be a figment of my imagination.. :)

You may only exist in my imagination, so while you think you are thinking and therefore are existing, im yet to see proof.

So I was just  browsing an old forum because I wanted a gif I remembered. It was posted by Ozwin.

It was the Cambiasso to stay depends on the missus thread, and I noticed at the bottom 1 member... me and 21 guests.

Who are these 21 guests and what are they doing on an old thread?

Facebook is down, and there's nowt else to do in Greece.

• Like 2

So I was just  browsing an old forum because I wanted a gif I remembered. It was posted by Ozwin.

It was the Cambiasso to stay depends on the missus thread, and I noticed at the bottom 1 member... me and 21 guests.

Who are these 21 guests and what are they doing on an old thread?

Maybe they thought it was thread bare??