Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Stringer and Young.. the worst?

Lloyd Dyer was getting murdered by Young.... Then he scored..... Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip :shutup:

Thats a bit unfair, if Dyer plays badly up until the point he scores what else is Young supposed to do, not criticise him because him might score. The fact he scored doesn't mean he played well anyway, the criticism of Dyer seemed fair, he has games where his passing, crossing and shooting is totally woeful. The criticism of Knockeart however was ludicrous, the guy gets injured in a tackle and starts limping, Stringer and Young instantly assume he isn't tracking back because he doesn't have enough "heart/passion/any other irrelevant football bollocks" as oppose to the far more obvious that he isn't tracking back because he can't run. I'm sure at one point they basically suggested Knockeart should consider that he stopped being injured because we didn't have any more subs....

Stringer does come across as desperate. I can imagine him at school desperate to be liked by everyone, but ridiculed & bullied by everyone.

Stringer strikes me as an ambitious young journalist eager to establish some credibility among people who can easily treat him with contempt. It's not an easy situation - and the secret is to just enjoy it - or be so brilliant everyone comes to acknowledge it, even if they don't necessarily like you.

Perhaps the hardest part is reporting on the abilities and achievements of others all the time. If you don't develop some top level expertise and respect in your own work, or even another field altogether, it is easy to feel inferior and the need to prove yourself all the time. Stringer is still developing his professional expertise and respect in the game but there's plenty worse than him.

I listened to derby's for a minute the other season, it was a lot more boring then ours !

It's quite funny listening to little sarcastic arguments they have!

Stringer gets a bit annoying with his pearson interviews though, he made out Leicester fans thought we were boring against hull

Thats a bit unfair, if Dyer plays badly up until the point he scores what else is Young supposed to do, not criticise him because him might score. The fact he scored doesn't mean he played well anyway, the criticism of Dyer seemed fair, he has games where his passing, crossing and shooting is totally woeful. The criticism of Knockeart however was ludicrous, the guy gets injured in a tackle and starts limping, Stringer and Young instantly assume he isn't tracking back because he doesn't have enough "heart/passion/any other irrelevant football bollocks" as oppose to the far more obvious that he isn't tracking back because he can't run. I'm sure at one point they basically suggested Knockeart should consider that he stopped being injured because we didn't have any more subs....

And what's Lloyd supposed to do?

Go around half of their team at a canter and rifle the ball into the top corner every single time just to appease Young?

This is Football, and not Man Utd either. Players will make mistakes / wrong decisions at times, they need support not sarky rude comments on the radio from people who can influence a percentage of our fans that rely on them to formulate their opinions.

They can't win, don't moan and they've kissing the clubs arse, point out poor play and they've got a hate campaign against a certain player.

If you're listening to their commentary you're not at the match, if you're at the match you're probably not listening to their commentary so how can you know whether their criticism is unfair?

I'm not a fan of young at all to be honest, his opinions are his opinions and he is entitled to them, but like others have said, he needs to realise he's on radio and not down the pub. I think Stringer would benifit greatly from having a mix of co hosts.

The one thing that annoys me the most, is they are meant to be commenting oin the game to give fans that live away an acurate representation of what is happening. But it seems time and time again in the post match threads, I have been listening to an entirely different game to the fans that were lucky enough to be there. Very frustrating, but having said all that I remember what Rob Tanner was like :dry:

Mix up the co hosts please :D

I certainly don't get the impression that Alan Young 'hates' certain players. That is an extremely unpleasant thing to suggest. My impression is that he is always willing Lloyd Dyer to use his talents effectively and is just frustrated when a superb turn of speed is followed by a wayward cross.

Generally, I am grateful to be able to listen to the commentary here in Germany and find that Ian Stinger and Alan Young do a pretty good job, but I find that this season they are a bit too pally and there is too much chit-chat at the expense of describing the match.

There's a lot of people criticising Young and Stringer, but not suggesting viable alternatives. Some people have made sensible suggestions for improvements, but most people seem to be moaning like old women.

If it's really such a burning issue why not find someone who could do the job better, make a demonstration tape showing how it should be done and sending it to BBC Radio Leicester. In fact, save the expense of making a tape by just showing us all how it's done by using Youtube.

Stringer does come across as desperate. I can imagine him at school desperate to be liked by everyone, but ridiculed & bullied by everyone.

Young was always a favourite of mine as a kid, so it is difficult to dislike him. I think he speaks his mind which is good, but he needs to tone down his hatred of some players & remember he is on the radio & not down the pub

Alan "I-know-<insert player name>-has-just-scored-a-hatrick-but-he's-just-not-good-enough" Young was also a childhood hero and similarly makes it difficult to dislike, but it's his amazing ability to say three or four contradictions in one sentence that amaze me. I don't trust anything he says.

I think your summary of Stringer is probably closer to the truth than anyone imagines though. They both spend far too much time talking to each other and speculating on things they can't have a clue about - which is surely the job of the listener. You can go five to ten minutes at a time with practically no idea what is happening on the pitch.

I have in the past enjoyed the two Matts - Jones and Piper - as guest co-commentators. They should mix it up more frequently.

I do find them irritating a lot of the time, but at others I enjoy listening to them.

Agree with the criticisms said on here. Youngy has his favourites and his villains and it's obvious that he's beeing overly critical. But tbf, sometimes he only sounds as frustrated as I am when listening/watching, and with certain players that's understandable. I have found him increasingly annoying in the past year or so though.

Stringer has a tendency to make it sound like it's gone in when it hasn't, usually because he says 'it's in! oh it's saved'. He also thinks they should have had a man sent off and we should have had a penalty in every game, and whenever he says 'that must be a penalty/red card', you know it won't be given. But worst of all he actally spend very little time describing what's happening. The questions he asks in interviews can be pretty stupid and are clearly going to just piss Nigel off - then again under Sven he often asked the important ones which he was trying to avoid. And you can't accuse him of being negative like Youngy, I think he generally says it as he sees it and tries to be positive about our players when possible. Plus, a while ago he got fed up with the ****** who kept ringing up and started putting them on the spot and making them justify all the shite they were talking. He's passionate about City and shows some excitement when we score.

I can't say I'd be sorry if we got rid of Youngy, he's mainly just senile and negative (although he did have a go at some bloke at the Burnley game for shouting at Nige) but for all his faults I still like Stringer, he does have some football knowledge and commentates with passion, and those things are pretty important.

By the way, wtf have people got against Foulger? The guys a legend!

Stringer puts a hell of a lot of work in that goes un-noticed, there's more to his job than commentating. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he's the best we've had since foulger.

Young is set in his ways I'm afraid.

I don't particularly mind them both but I would wish they could actually describe the match better, instead of talking about someone’s hat or stupid rumours every 10 minutes. Stringer just has a personality that clashes with a lot of people, he comes across as a cocky know it all and then comes out with comments like "Why are the Hull fans chanting 'Yorkshire' I thought they were in the East Riding." lol

Mr Young generally comes across ok but then comes out with some silly comments like wanting Knockaert to be dropped for away games. I understand his idea of 'taking half a loaf' but surely our strength currently is creating goal scoring opportunities and we will create more with the lad in the team.

I don't particularly mind them both but I would wish they could actually describe the match better, instead of talking about someone’s hat or stupid rumours every 10 minutes. Stringer just has a personality that clashes with a lot of people, he comes across as a cocky know it all and then comes out with comments like "Why are the Hull fans chanting 'Yorkshire' I thought they were in the East Riding." lol

Mr Young generally comes across ok but then comes out with some silly comments like wanting Knockaert to be dropped for away games. I understand his idea of 'taking half a loaf' but surely our strength currently is creating goal scoring opportunities and we will create more with the lad in the team.

Young is so sodding negative when it comes to away matches - he's the mirror image of much that's been wrong at the club for far too long.

About 15/20 minutes from time he started going on about holding onto the point we had and emphasised it still further later on.

But you get three points for a win these days and the whole philosophy is flawed.

The teams who get up try to win all their matches - home and away - because the bonus of three points each for away wins is so precious and counteracts the effects of home defeats which are all but inevitable despite the familiar cries of "win at home and draw away" which has never worked in our recent history.

Little wonder Young has never made a manager and, as a fan, I can well do without his tactical opinions if that's the best he can come up with. Happily "leave him out" Knockaert made our winning goal and Stringer's "bench" fodder Lloyd scored it.

And that's not ignoring any flaws in either player. Knocky has much to learn about being a central midfield player and Dyer still has plenty to learn about staying balanced when he shoots but sometimes it's what players do rather than what they don't do which is the more important.

Happily the manager acted positively in using both and in encouraging the attacks we mustered in the closing stages to try to win the game. It's been hard enough getting our club to attack all the games without Young trying to attach a chain and anchor to the manager's strategy.

Faint heart never won fair maid as the saying goes and, talking of going, I wish Youngy would do just that. I wish he'd go and get a real job - and one he knows something about.

Young is so sodding negative when it comes to away matches - he's the mirroer image of much that's been wrong at the club for far too long.

About 15/20 minutes from time he started going on about holding onto the point we had and emphasised it still further later on.

But you get three points for a win these days and the whole philosophy is flawed.

The teams who get up try to win all their matches - home and away - because the bonus of three points each for away wins is so precious and counteracts the effects of home defeats which are all but inevitable despite the familiar cries of "win at home and draw away" which has never worked in our recent history.

Little wonder Young has never made a manager and, as a fan, I can well do without his tactical opinions if that's the best he can come up with. Happily "leave him out" Knockaert made our winning goal and Stringer's "bench" fodder Lloyd scored it.

And that's not ignoring any flaws in either player. Knocky has much to learn about being a central midfield player and Dyer still has plenty to learn about staying balanced when he shoots but sometimes it's what player do rather than what they don't do which is the more important.

Happily the manager acted positively in using both and in encouraging the attacks we mustered in the closing stages to try to win the game. It's been hard enough getting our club to attack all the games without Young trying to attach a chain and anchor to the manager's strategy.

Faint heart never won fair maid as the saying goes and, talking of going, I wish Youngy would do just that. I wish he'd go and get a real job - and one he knows something about.

:appl: Teams scared of losing rarely win much.

First time i listened to a game yesterday, this season.

What I had forgotten since last year, and it really does get frustrating, is the amount of times Stringer says 'it must be a penalty' or something similar, he seems to exaggerate so much its ridiculous. Same thing happened yesterday.

He can also spend too much time shouting than actually commentating. Ends up shouting we've scored, or makes out we've scored when really the keeper has pulled off a grat save.

The thing with Mr Hindsight Young is he has a criticism to make about every single passage of play. Someone should have done this or someone should have done that, this player was lazy or the attacker made the wrong choice. His favourite phrase seems to be "I don't like that". We're a championship side, not Barcelona. Players are going to make mistakes. Berating Knockaert for not tracking back on one occasion after being tired from his last attacking run is just ridiculous. He just needs to stop being so bloody miserable and accept we aren't going to score from every forward play.

If you think these two are bad...you never heard Neville Foulger

Two words: Jon Barber

I'm old enough to have listened to both these "broadcasters" which is why the Stringer/Young combination is so utterly disappointing.

Archived