Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Stringer and Young.. the worst?

Is it just me or does anyone else find Ian Stringer and Alan Young's match commentaries irritating?

I listen on RL when I can't get to a game and honestly, it's dire to listen to. I don't doubt their support and loyalty to LCFC but their match commentary is just... DULL.

Young is hard to understand says the same things about the same players week in, week out and has nothing good to say about players he doesn't like no matter how well they've played. Stringer just comes out with the same old cliched babble... "it's a free kick/penalty/yellow card for me Alan, ALL DAY LONG" and similar comments.

It's just my opinion but does anyone else have a similar view? Or, if you like their commentaries please add your praise and I will try to listen differently next time.

I actually thinl Alan Young is quite a poisonous little man. You are completely right. He slates players he does not like no matter what they do and Stringer comes across as an OK guy but just deeply annoying and dull. I imagine he likes Kula Shaker and Jamiroquai!!

Anyway, I concur. Terrible hosts.

I seem to remember not many liking Barber and there was a fair few that didn't like Foulger.

They all have their own style and will never please everyone.

I'm sure Young appreciates the job as he was apparently having a pretty rough existence until this job came along but I prefer to have a variety of ex LCFC 'experts' than the same one all season.

They're shocking. Young has ridiculous hate campaigns that would see him mocked on here against players chosen almost at random.

Stringer kinda means well but he's a complete try-hard and could do with maturing and toning down his "in the know!" "AMAZING breaking news!" attitude.

Young is terrible. He just makes no sense, 'Yakubu scores goals but.....' Seriously Alan? I dont live in the area but I get the moan in podcast and you could just tell he was gearing up for anti-Knocky commentary yesterday.

His ideal team would be 10 players running up the pitch in a straight line and running back in a straight line. He seems to have no comprehension of positioning and if he hates you then forget it. The worst had to be when Howard got himself sent off away at Palace last year. Defended him and blamed the linesman.

They're shocking. Young has ridiculous hate campaigns that would see him mocked on here against players chosen almost at random.

Stringer kinda means well but he's a complete try-hard and could do with maturing and toning down his "in the know!" "AMAZING breaking news!" attitude.

Stringer does come across as desperate. I can imagine him at school desperate to be liked by everyone, but ridiculed & bullied by everyone.

Young was always a favourite of mine as a kid, so it is difficult to dislike him. I think he speaks his mind which is good, but he needs to tone down his hatred of some players & remember he is on the radio & not down the pub

You wont please all the people all the time.There is a hell of alot worse,try listening to the other teams local radio station. Sky had Vardy's goal being scored after a shot from Drinkwater!! when it was Nugent. The other week sky kept going on about Knockeart being Belgian and playing for their U21's and scoring. You don't have to agree with Young's comments so give them a break.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Jamiroquai.

I'd like them to let Charlie Dagnall have a go, hes done a few commentaries on 5live Xtra for 20/20 cricket and he is a far better commentator than Stringer. He might not know anything about football but neither does Stringer, all he would have to do is honestly describe whats happening on the pitch, having someone with less personal interest in LCFC would make the commentaries a lot more balanced than they currently are and would lead to far less obsessing about the referee (Stingers really has taken that commentary meme and ran with it). Multiple co-commentators would be nice as well, I'm sure there are plenty of more recent ex-Leicester players still living in the area who would like to give it a go (Muzzy and Steve Walsh come to mind), football has chanaged a lot since Alan Young last played, it would be nice to see it reflected in the "tactical" points made, and as other people have said his evident dislike for some players and how it comes out in commentary is ridiculous.

The two remind me of a pair of fans who regularly sat near to me, constant commentary on the game, nothing from Leicester was ever good enough or done the right way, the opposition might not have even existed for all they cared or thought they had an impact on the outcome, and to top all that pretty much everything they said was complete rubbish. The commentary for RL shouldn't sound like two fans moaning about a match to each other, unfortunately it does.

Whilst overall I dont mind either of them I would say that yesterday I found some of the negative comments made by young against certain players unpleasant.

Because so many fans make their opinion on what Stringer and Young say the pair of them can make a real problem for a player with what they say.

Lloyd Dyer was getting murdered by Young.... Then he scored..... Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip :shutup:

Stringer has always annoyed me.. He comes across to me like an upstart (there's one for the 'words no longer used' thread).

Young I've usually thought ok. I like his honest views on the games, though yesterday he was rude toward Lloydy.

The pair of them together? Well I've no real gripe against them. It seems to me like we are winning on the pitch so someone is going to start a thread to have a good moan about something else.

The same commentators all the time easily becomes grating because they all have their stock vocabularies and their individual limitations which might be quite entertaining in the first place but quickly become irritating.

At the very least they should be rotated and then changed altogether every so often. I would also like to hear reasonably articulate fans give their analysis.

This so-called "expert" opinion doesn't impress much. On radio or television. Times the "expert" fails to give a real impression of what's happening either in terms of tactics or individual roles and performances.

There's also this habit of getting ridiculously sidetracked onto something innocuous - like whether the referee should have given a free kick or a booking. While they're carrying on, play develops, and the next thing you get is "and Dyer has just hit the post from three yards" with no preamble as to how the ball ever got there.

I know it's easy to criticise from afar but there's so much room for improvement - and a bit more humour.

The same commentators all the time easily becomes grating because they all have their stock vocabularies and their individual limitations which might be quite entertaining in the first place but quickly become irritating.

At the very least they should be rotated and then changed altogether every so often. I would also like to hear reasonably articulate fans give their analysis.

This so-called "expert" opinion doesn't impress much. On radio or television. Times the "expert" fails to give a real impression of what's happening either in terms of tactics or individual roles and performances.

There's also this habit of getting ridiculously sidetracked onto something innocuous - like whether the referee should have given a free kick or a booking. While they're carrying on, play develops, and the next thing you get is "and Dyer has just hit the post from three yards" with no preamble as to how the ball ever got there.

I know it's easy to criticise from afar but there's so much room for improvement - and a bit more humour.

Good (and simple) idea of rotating the commentary Thrac.

:thumbup:

Is it just me or does anyone else find Ian Stringer and Alan Young's match commentaries irritating?

I listen on RL when I can't get to a game and honestly, it's dire to listen to. I don't doubt their support and loyalty to LCFC but their match commentary is just... DULL.

Young is hard to understand says the same things about the same players week in, week out and has nothing good to say about players he doesn't like no matter how well they've played. Stringer just comes out with the same old cliched babble... "it's a free kick/penalty/yellow card for me Alan, ALL DAY LONG" and similar comments.

It's just my opinion but does anyone else have a similar view? Or, if you like their commentaries please add your praise and I will try to listen differently next time.

You ought to try listening to some other teams local commentary sometime, we've actually got it fairly good to be honest.

They're alright, both can be incredibly frustrating at times, Young does slate players he doesn't like for absolutely anything and similarly if Wellens or Howard were to do anything remotely good he doesn't stop talking about it for the rest of the match. But at the same time does seem to be a decent guy and is unitentionally hilarous at times. In general I like Stringer's commentary, but he does ask some really stupid questions and it does feel to me like he fuels the Pearson hate campaign when he can, I guess because it does divide opinion and gets people to call in, but I don't enjoy it.

The worst? Absolutely not, but both can be very, very, irritating at times. I'd still be happy enough listening to them in the long term.

Plus that was great.

Archived