Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Safe Standing - Support the Early Day motion

The reason it's changed is partly due to not having standing areas and other aspects of the 'modern matchday experience' which has driven them away.

Absolutely and I've no doubt that it is the result of a deliberate 'sanitisation' of the traditional football fanbase. Ticket prices are another huge issue but it's all related, really. But it's no good people looking back and claiming things were better in the past (even if they were) as a tool by which to persuade people that standing should return. Only the current reality matters.

Of course gaining support for this from traditional fans is important but it's also preaching to the converted. They aren't the people who need convincing. There are many on the 'bring back standing' side of the fence who would accuse people like me of not being a 'proper' supporter. It may not come from the official campaign but it certainly exists and only serves to alienate the very people who need the most convincing.

• Like 1

By the time of the Taylor report most fans were happily sitting at Filbert Street. Not sure what the actual ratio was but standing areas were the minority. This is not an "all or nothing" proposition. It's about changing the law to accurately reflect what is already happening at every match anyway and upgrading the infrastructure to suit the needs of that minority.

The broad media reaction and club level support gives me more hope that we will see trials in the medium term. Definitely if there s a change in government at the next election.

yep it certainly wont help, but the fact is the fans stood anyway.

And not surprise:-

Margaret Aspinall
, chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group

"There are 96 reasons why it should not be allowed.

"There were 96 dead at Hillsborough and it could have been a lot more.

"Standing should never, ever come back. I do not think there is anything safe about standing.

"I feel insulted that while people are trying to fight for justice for Hillsborough, that this campaign is growing now."

Incredible.

Stupid ugly northern ignorant bitch.

Someone on twitter try asking Colin Murray to discuss it on MOTD3. See what the Alan's and Lawro think.

Edited by acooling08

Someone on twitter try asking Colin Murray to discuss it on MOTD3. See what the Alan's and Lawro think.

I wouldn't be surprised if these people said it was a bad idea and go on about how we don't want to go back to the 'dark days'. Especially if they don't actually know anything about the subject.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if these people said it was a bad idea and go on about how we don't want to go back to the 'dark days'. Especially if they don't actually know anything about the subject.

Me neither. Colin Murray has said those words on a number of occasions. Moron.

Margaret Aspinall and her Hillsborough campaign for justice was to deflect the blame away from the fans and terraces and onto the police, yet when on the subject of standing that they've been trying to say wasn't a factor for the death of the 96 people for the past 23 years (it was all the police's fault remember, apparently) comes around she's dead against it.

What a fvcking hypocrite

I think you've sort of contradicted your point here mate. If she's fighting to deflect the blame away from the fans and terraces onto the police - why does that mean she has to be pro standing? She may well believe that the police were solely to blame, but she may also think that some of the blame lies with the thousands of fans who pushed their way into a standing area.

I am fully in support of safe standing and would love our club to be a part of it - but name calling in this instance is a little distasteful, regardless of your opinions or what you think their opinions should be.

Edited by MattyFromLE

Matty, no I got the impression that the fans are blameless and it was how the police responded to the course of events that created the disaster.

It sounds a bit odd to me that she can imply that standing was a part of the reason and still hold the police fully responsible. Rather like ignoring that the ground had no safety certificate

Edited by _Fatboyslow_
  • Like 1

I think you've sort of contradicted your point here mate. If she's fighting to deflect the blame away from the fans and terraces onto the police - why does that mean she has to be pro standing? She may well believe that the police were solely to blame, but she may also think that some of the blame lies with the thousands of fans who pushed their way into a standing area.

I am fully in support of safe standing and would love our club to be a part of it - but name calling in this instance is a little distasteful, regardless of your opinions or what you think their opinions should be.

It doesn't, but she says she finds it insulting that the pro-standing campaign is growing whilst she's trying to fight for justice. The justice she is fighting for is nothing to do with terracing/standing, it's about blaming the authorities.

The point being; she doesnt even seem to know what she's been campaigning for for so many years.

I'm in favour of the Safe Standing campaign and have signed the FSF petition.

It is evident that the police and local authority were at fault for crowd management on the day but the firm suggestion remains in most people's minds that if Hillsborough had been an all seater stadium with ticket holders sitting in their allocated seats then the disaster probably wouldn't have happened.

I'm in favour of the Safe Standing campaign and have signed the FSF petition.

It is evident that the police and local authority were at fault for crowd management on the day but the firm suggestion remains in most people's minds that if Hillsborough had been an all seater stadium with ticket holders sitting in their allocated seats then the disaster probably wouldn't have happened.

Despite all the evidence that the Police were responsible for directing too many fans in to that area of the ground irrespective of their ticketed area. But such details will get lost in the clamour to continue with the characterisation of a majority of fans as no different to the idiotic minority of the 80's.

My hope is that enough political support will get a trail in place when the current government is replaced. Based on the ministers response to me recently it's highly unlikely he'll let it go through. So at least 4 years away surely?

As has already been said, any incident (coin and pitch invader at Man City v Utd, keeper assualt at Weds vs Leeds) will be seized on and amplified as yet another reason why no concessions can be made to supporters wishing to stand.

My hope is that enough political support will get a trail in place when the current government is replaced. Based on the ministers response to me recently it's highly unlikely he'll let it go through. So at least 4 years away surely?

The last Labour government wasn't too keen on listening to fans views on safe standing, either.

Whether she's ugly / northern / a bitch doesn't concern me. The glaring holes in her argument do.

When she says there are 96 reasons why standing shouldn't return it certainly redirects the blame from the police to the fans. While it doesn't point towards their behaviour, it certainly suggests that the nature of football terracing was largely to blame for what happened. This is untrue and to use the deaths of people, even if some of them were related to you, in order to back up a misguided argument seems just a little immoral.

Firstly standing never went away. Until five years ago I regularly watched non-league and lower league football and had to stand pretty much every time. People have been doing it at concerts for many a year. What went away was standing for heavily policed football matches, that's all.

Secondly, the proposals bear very little similarity to the standing people were used to in 1989.

Finally there have been football disasters since Hillsborough. Some were due to crowd violence, some to police firing tear gas into the stands; some occurred in seated stadiums and others on the terraces. What they have in common is over-crowding. If a proposal makes that impossible, then arguments like hers become spectacularly irrelevant.

Edited by inckley fox
  • Like 2