Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
surrifox

Red Star Belgrade

On the radio this morning an apologist for the Serbian FA, by way of defending the accusations of racist chanting mentioned that when RSB played Leicester in the 1990s the Leicester crowd made "bombing noises" towards the Belgrade fans. Mocking them for the NATO raids on the country.

My question is this (and I thought my memory was reasonable but fails me here) Why were we playing RSB? (presumably post League Cup qualification for Europe) What was the score?

On the radio this morning an apologist for the Serbian FA, by way of defending the accusations of racist chanting mentioned that when RSB played Leicester in the 1990s the Leicester crowd made "bombing noises" towards the Belgrade fans. Mocking them for the NATO raids on the country.

My question is this (and I thought my memory was reasonable but fails me here) Why were we playing RSB? (presumably post League Cup qualification for Europe) What was the score?

First round of the UEFA Cup, we lost :cry:

Can always remember Flowers getting beat from miles out at Filbert Street cos there fans let off flares and you couldn't see a thing!

Was that the game we lost 1-0 and Tim Flowers could barely see the ball for all the smoke grenades and flares at the start of the game? That was a short lived European experience.

Was that the game we lost 1-0 and Tim Flowers could barely see the ball for all the smoke grenades and flares at the start of the game? That was a short lived European experience.

It was 1-1 at Filbo. They scored really early cos of that

That must mean it's fine to be racist then!

Total BS.

Unlike the flares and smoke bombs they fired at Filbo, and the lit fireworks hurled at us in the return game. The latter was played in Vienna as the FA didn't want English clubs/fans travelling to Serbia the year after NATO (at UK insistence) had bombed it.

Also remember Akinbiyi getting a hard time that night, with the same monkey noises that were aimed at Danny Rose this week.

Crass, but hardly racist and I wouldn't put that in anywhere near the same league as making monkey noises at black players. I wish people would stop trying to apologise for the actions of this minority of backward fans and just punish them. It's a joke.

EDIT: And reading the last few posts, sounds like it didn't even happen anyway.

Didnt really get the easiest of draws in our last two journeys into Europe in the 90s and early noughties, Athletico Madrid and Red Star Belgrade....... ;0(

EUFA have either got to ban these countries or the FA stop English sides from playing them if its possible...... ;0/

What sort of desperate tactic is it to claim something is okay today because someone else did something a bit similar 20 years ago ! The world moves forward. Some attitudes on the continent (and here) haven't. Everyone is responsible for 'encouraging' positive realignment. Including FIFA / UEFA et al. Will they ? Don't make me laugh ! We'll all be here again next year and the year after making the same points.I've seen Digestive biscuits with more spine than the footballing authorities.

There is a YouTube video that shows you exactly what sort of fans they were,think its under red star v leicester,cannot post this at the moment.Caused mayhem in Vienna and I think they were banned from their own country for the reasons above and all the trouble they had caused.

Leicester fan at 4.25 makes me laugh though.

I was in the kop at Filbert Street & don't remember any bombing noises. Even if there had been, it doesn't justify their actions 12 years later

I don't know the politics of the break-up of Yugoslavia, but I always remember Sinisa Mihajlovic when I think of Serbian football. Brilliant footballer......but a c*nt!!

I really don't think making bombing noises would that difficult to pull off, maybe the sound of plane followed by some sort of boom, possibly aided by arm movements. Try it and I'm sure with little imagination you could come up with something.

However, whether or not that incident happened, it can in no way justify what happened the other night. In the same way should an English side chant racist songs this weekend the events of the other night will in no way legitimise that. Every incident should be punished in its own right and no-one should be immune. I just hope football authorities will one day pull their fingers out of their arses and start punishing appropriately.

I cant remember hearing any of that shit.

But if we did that 20 odd years ago,then they are justified in making monkey noises to the black england players in 2012!!!!

Good old Serbian FA. :thumbup:

Ridiculous claim, for all the above reasons, was also there at Filbo, and I don't remember any bombing noises, and I doubt many of our fans would have made the link between Serbia and the war, and bombing noises. If we were going to make bombing noises at anyone it would be Coventry, but we don't.

As stated it is no justification for anything, unless they are claiming it was only black Leicester fans making bombing noises, but even then 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Incredible to think there are worse FAs than our own...

Archived