Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Brighton & Hove Albion (h) Pre-Match Thread

Night games are usually boring, but as Corky has put in the past season at home, our night form has looked seriously good.

It will be a tough game, but Brighton are in poor form after a very good start, we have the quality and if Drinkwater and King can run the midfield, and Knockaert impress like he has done in night games against Burnley and Huddersfield, then we should do well.

I haven't been well in the past couple of days, but I am definitely not missing a Leicester match.

2-0 win with the team hopefully looking like this...

GK - Schmeichel

RB - De Laet

CB - Whitbread

CB - Morgan

LB - Konchesky

RM - Marshall

CM - Drinkwater

CM - King

LM/CAM - Knockaert

ST - Vardy

ST - Nugent

Subs - Logan, Moore, James, Dyer, Waghorn, Futacs, Schlupp

Night games are usually boring, but as Corky has put in the past season at home, our night form has looked seriously good.

It will be a tough game, but Brighton are in poor form after a very good start, we have the quality and if Drinkwater and King can run the midfield, and Knockaert impress like he has done in night games against Burnley and Huddersfield, then we should do well.

I haven't been well in the past couple of days, but I am definitely not missing a Leicester match.

2-0 win with the team hopefully looking like this...

GK - Schmeichel

RB - De Laet

CB - Whitbread

CB - Morgan

LB - Konchesky

RM - Marshall

CM - Drinkwater

CM - King

LM/CAM - Knockaert

ST - Vardy

ST - Nugent

Subs - Logan, Moore, James, Dyer, Waghorn, Futacs, Schlupp

That team looks good to me although it's a toss up on Whitbread & Vardy being fit enough. Personally, I think they'll start. Brighton are only playing 1 up front so De Laet ahead of Moore makes sense. I think Dyer will probably start instead of Marshall though

I assume its going to be 25k plus. An extra 5k at least roughly? I bet the extra amount of people means the club are making roughly the same amount of money as any other game.

These are just basic figures not really taking into account average crowds, but it gives a decent idea of how much of a loss the club makes when they reduce ticket prices:

20,000 fans at a maximum of £15 for a fans fixture = £375,000

20,000 fans at an average price of £25 for a gold fixture = £500,000

To make up the difference in the gate receipts, there would have to be around 34,000 people attending tonight.

These are just basic figures not really taking into account average crowds, but it gives a decent idea of how much of a loss the club makes when they reduce ticket prices:

To make up the difference in the gate receipts, there would have to be around 34,000 people attending tonight.

You could take into account what those extra few thousand will spend whilst at the game. Food, drinks etc,

You could take into account what those extra few thousand will spend whilst at the game. Food, drinks etc,

Used to be, not so much anymore.

Leicester 2-0 Watford

Leicester 2-0 Blackpool

Leicester 3-1 Birmingham

Leicester 2-1 Burnley

All in the last year. You could also throw in the Forest cup replay.

There has been more poor ones than good ones. Even the Watford one and Burnley aboive were very poor games albeit the result is the main thing.

And that's going to make up a £125,000 shortfall?

The reason they do these fans fixtures is to try and get more people interested in coming regularly by giving them a taste of the matchday experience and it doesn't hurt that it portrays the owners in a good light too for cutting ticket prices for the odd game here and there. They can afford to take a hit on the tickets a few times during the season, but let's consider those very rough figures - if they cut ticket prices to £15 a game and lost roughly £125,000 per game, they'd be losing the best part of £3 million quid every season.

I'm sure it'd be nice for us if tickets were cheaper, but it wouldn't do the club's bank balance any good. Unfortunately, watching football is expensive and it's going to be that way for the forseeable future.

Point taken, as someone said though...you have to take into account extra money spent by people in the ground and the shop etc. Also If they made them £20 every day instead of £15, that would still be a reduction plus would even costs out.

And that's going to make up a £125,000 shortfall?

The reason they do these fans fixtures is to try and get more people interested in coming regularly by giving them a taste of the matchday experience and it doesn't hurt that it portrays the owners in a good light too for cutting ticket prices for the odd game here and there. They can afford to take a hit on the tickets a few times during the season, but let's consider those very rough figures - if they cut ticket prices to £15 a game and lost roughly £125,000 per game, they'd be losing the best part of £3 million quid every season.

I'm sure it'd be nice for us if tickets were cheaper, but it wouldn't do the club's bank balance any good. Unfortunately, watching football is expensive and it's going to be that way for the forseeable future.

But you're not taking into account what the gate would be on a typical mid-week evening match, nor factoring season ticket holders into it, don't have the figures to hand, but you would need to eliminate season ticket holders from the attendance figures, then compare a normal midweek game against a non rival, with this to see how many extra bums on seats come.

Burnley was a midweek match, attendance 18,480

From another post we have 15,000 season ticket holders, so 3,480 paid on the gate.

Now if we get 23,000 today, then 8,000 will pay on the gate, more than double against Burnley, and yet tickets are more than half price, so it is a clear profit.

Of course our current run will help with boosting the figures.

preview.40bG5nxMexOeLlvP_500.png

The figures for the increase in match ticket price and ST sales were educated guesses so this table may need amending but otherwise the numbers are correct. We will have only gained another 1.5% in profit from match tickets this season with the changes to ticket prices (if my estimates are correct). That extra 1.5% profit doesn't account for other sales the club will have missed out on as our attendances dropped (like programmes and food inside the stadium).

If I'm correct then the club's pricing for match tickets has resulted in virtually no boost to our profit and a large drop in attendance. Happy to have people point out any mistakes I've made, as I say, I'm not sure of our ST sales this season or what the prices were for match tickets last season.

Point taken, as someone said though...you have to take into account extra money spent by people in the ground and the shop etc. Also If they made them £20 every day instead of £15, that would still be a reduction plus would even costs out.

They'd have to consistently make quite a lot extra on food and merch though, and if these people could afford to pay £15 for a ticket, buy a pie and a pint and then get something from the club shop afterwards, they could afford to just pay the standard ticket price and just ditch the food and the merch if they really wanted to go to the game.

People who go to the games now can all afford to go, obviously, or they wouldn't be there. It would make no sense for the owners to drop ticket prices by £5 or £10 for everyone just to attract an extra 5,000-6,000 fans every week, and I'm not convinced the attendances would be consistently that much higher.

I'm hoping for a 3-1 City win (it's about time that the William Hill on London Road called a result right)

I've been keeping an eye on the window of William Hill (Queens Rd) for several years and it has only been right once.

This is because the bookies want to encourage people to bet on results that sound feasible and offer attractive odds....for the very good reason that they are highly unlikely to happen! Such as Leicester 3 Brighton 1 !!

Brighton have lost only 1 of their 5 away games, and have conceded a total of 3 goals in those 5 games. Much as I'd like to be wrong, I'd be happy with 1-0....and fear a 1-1 or even 0-1 if we allow the dangerous Mackail-Smith a chance to score first. Really wish we'd got our hands on him when we tried to sign him....

For all those banging on about extra spend, the kiosks are franchised, therefore paying a fixed rent and a small portion of takings I would guess, meaning the club see next to no impact on the balance sheet from any extra spend.

As pointed out earlier, just because we get 25k instead of 21k in reality that's only an extra 4k paying a vastly reduced price in the build up to the game, so there is very little difference in the total income.

I would imagine the only benefit is a clever accountant would be able to work a few wonders with VAT against the season tickets sold in advance but not used, but as they now have electronic season tickets so everything would be recorded on a computer data base I would think that is a little harder.

Ben Marshall and Nugent to start

45]

Follow

390fc11f4ff471a6dc396b2ed195f96f_normal.jpegPaul Gallagherâ€@Gally_7

Good luck to the boys tonight .. I'm going@benmarshy07_ben 1st goal .. #3points

neil danns â€@dannzy1

good luck to the boys tonight, im going with @nuge101235 for first goal #everydayimshuffling

They won't know the team....Doubt it anyway. Hopefully Danns' hashtag has something to do with a celebration :P

Not confident at all this evening, we've been shocking lately. My prediction is Leicester to win by at least 3 goals.

Apparently Gus Poyet isn't even going to change the team for tonight's game, after one of the most impotent displays I've seen from a Brighton side on Saturday. However, this season we've been better away that we have at home.

Expected line-up:

Kuszczak

Bruno ~ El-Abd ~ Greer ~ Bridge

Bridcutt ~ Hammond

Crofts

Lopez ~ Barnes

Mackail-Smith

Bench: Ankergren, Calderon, Dunk, Lualua, Buckley, Dicker, Dobbie.

I think we played an away formation and game plan at home on Saturday :facepalm::nono:

Have a good evening, all! I think yours will be better than mine...

Not confident at all this evening, we've been shocking lately. My prediction is Leicester to win by at least 3 goals.

Apparently Gus Poyet isn't even going to change the team for tonight's game, after one of the most impotent displays I've seen from a Brighton side on Saturday. However, this season we've been better away that we have at home.

Expected line-up:

Kuszczak

Bridcutt ~ Hammond

Crofts

Lopez ~ Barnes

Mackail-Smith

I think we played an away formation and game plan at home on Saturday :facepalm::nono:

Would be just like us to balls this one up then. This is our first consistent spell for years and I think it's a test of our metal to get a result against you guys if you're as underwhelming as you make out. Looking forward to it though.

Expected line-up:

Kuszczak

Bridcutt ~ Hammond

Crofts

Lopez ~ Barnes

Mackail-Smith

I have herd Poyet has bollocked these players after Saturdays performance and told them if they don't perform he's getting replacements in that can do the job lol

That true?

Apparently Gus Poyet isn't even going to change the team for tonight's game, after one of the most

impotent displays I've seen from a Brighton side on Saturday. However, this season we've been better away that we have at home.

Expected line-up:

Kuszczak

Bridcutt ~ Hammond

Crofts

Lopez ~ Barnes

Mackail-Smith

Bench: Ankergren, Calderon, Dunk,

Lualua, Buckley, Dicker, Dobbie.

What numbers you expecting to bring??

Im wondering if pearson is tempted to spring a surpise for this one....

Brighton have a pretty mean defence and i wonder if they will come for a draw....

Futacs to be the shock starter to make use of those crosses coming in.....

I have herd Poyet has bollocked these players after Saturdays performance and told them if they don't perform he's getting replacements in that can do the job lol

That true?

Might be, but I haven't heard anything like that!

What numbers you expecting to bring??

Probably only a thousand or so, but it's POTG so who knows? Rubbish following compared to last season though...

Expected line-up:

Kuszczak

Bridcutt ~ Hammond

Crofts

Lopez ~ Barnes

Mackail-Smith

Just been reading your forum and you lot aren't confident, is it bizarre management or just one of those spells?

Also noticed the guy who highlighted our best players and ignored Knockaert, ignore him at your peril.

Didnt see saturday but we need to keep the discipline,foul rate low,good possesion,look after the football and the goal should come.Ball will be zipping around on the wet surface to suit the game on the floor rather than long balls skidding away.

Dreading the queues for evening meal and drinks

Archived