Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

Older aged away support than most?

Football has changed, some people need to get over it....... :thumbup:

The biggest issue to my mind is not standing or sitting but assigned seats/places. In the "old days" you could go with a few mates, stand where you wanted which meant that those who really wanted to make a noise could all stand together (in the Kop) and those who didn't could simply move away and stand somewhere that suited them.

That, and the fact that there were no concourses or separare bars meant that everyone congregated on the terraces well before kick off and the buzz of anticipation and excited chatter built an atmosphere way beyond anything possible in modern stadia.

Safe Standing, of the type being proposed will not address these issues and to me anyway is largely pointless.

Back then the police were always prepared to lend a little support to my Doris when she was on one of her jaunts .

article-2126940-001FC41200000258-212_468x400.jpg

In 1982, that photo' was hysterical and made most people smile. If it happended today, the officer would be suspended pending an enquiry into alleged inappropriate behaviour, it would lead to a question on Question Time, the Chakrabati sisters would dominate every news bulletin for a week and Sky would send some prat in a North Face coat to Twickers to stand on the side of the pitch to do updates just in case we didn't know what a rugby pitch looked like !!!! It's okay ... I'm reaching for one of my tablets to help me calm down as I type !

In 1982, that photo' was hysterical and made most people smile. If it happended today, the officer would be suspended pending an enquiry into alleged inappropriate behaviour, it would lead to a question on Question Time, the Chakrabati sisters would dominate every news bulletin for a week and Sky would send some prat in a North Face coat to Twickers to stand on the side of the pitch to do updates just in case we didn't know what a rugby pitch looked like !!!! It's okay ... I'm reaching for one of my tablets to help me calm down as I type !

erica.jpeg

Not forgetting the most heinous of crimes.........smoking in a public place!!

......maybe this should go in the photoboobing thread?

erica.jpeg

Not forgetting the most heinous of crimes.........smoking in a public place!!

......maybe this should go in the photoboobing thread?

I don't think either of the 2 PCs are looking at her mouth somehow ???!! At least the one on the left has the good grace to do it with some discretion .... unlike the muppet on the right !!

Not at all i go to tje football to support my side, not eat

Do you think there's no room for doing both? They buy a ticket to support their side, if they sing or not. I'm no expert, but I can think of a few places that are cheaper, warmer and a little comfier to eat than a football ground. They don't choose seats because they're a good spot for lunch.

There's plenty of reason for doing both. I go to the cinema to watch a film, not eat popcorn. Should I stop having that as well?

In fact, I can't believe I'm having to explain this...

Do you think there's no room for doing both? They buy a ticket to support their side, if they sing or not. I'm no expert, but I can think of a few places that are cheaper, warmer and a little comfier to eat than a football ground. They don't choose seats because they're a good spot for lunch.

There's plenty of reason for doing both. I go to the cinema to watch a film, not eat popcorn. Should I stop having that as well?

In fact, I can't believe I'm having to explain this...

Off-topic, but yes fu**ing please. Why does everyone have to stuff their faces in the cinema? It's so distracting.

Off-topic, but yes fu**ing please. Why does everyone have to stuff their faces in the cinema? It's so distracting.

Because sometimes you're dragged to see something shit and that's the only way of entertaining yourself. I enjoy the popcorn and the trailers more than the film most of the time. They are so distracting those bloody films!

Because sometimes you're dragged to see something shit and that's the only way of entertaining yourself. I enjoy the popcorn and the trailers more than the film most of the time. They are so distracting those bloody films!

If I pay so much to go to the cinema, why should I have my film ruined by some fat coont behind me stuffing his face with popcorn and sweets because he can't go 2 hours without eating?

Kitchandro was spot on for me. It's not older people going that annoy me - it's the lack of people in the 18-30 age bracket that we once had. The clubs failure to look after it (poor wording) has meant it's been cut down.

We used to get a decent amount of 18-30 away in League 1, for some reason or another, alot have gone into hiding.

Ticket pricing, atmosphere etc..

Its ashame football has changed so much nowadays, but what can you do..

If I pay so much to go to the cinema, why should I have my film ruined by some fat coont behind me stuffing his face with popcorn and sweets because he can't go 2 hours without eating?

Because that's what happens at the cinema?

Maybe you should be a bit less irritable :thumbup:

I think the likes of Stu (and others) come across as frustrated younger fans.

Football 'fanism' in the UK has massively changed.

It's not only about seating, it's also the composition of the fan base. Making football a 'family thing' has widened it's appeal. However, it's also made the atmosphere completely different. Along with Health and Safety of course.

Whichever camp you wish to agree with, (Football as a family centred, neutered phenomenon, or not) I consider myself fortunate that I followed City as a kid at Filbert St. THEN atmosphere really was atmosphere. Believe me, now it's pretty dull by comparison.

I wonder whether the likes of Stu et al are simply dreaming for something they just cannot have anymore. Age IS important IMO. Simply because I'm old enough to have been brought up in the Spion Kop. The young uns these days have missed out.

It's not only about seating, it's also the composition of the fan base. Making football a 'family thing' has widened it's appeal. However, it's also made the atmosphere completely different. Along with Health and Safety of course.

Whichever camp you wish to agree with, (Football as a family centred, neutered phenomenon, or not) I consider myself fortunate that I followed City as a kid at Filbert St. THEN atmosphere really was atmosphere. Believe me, now it's pretty dull by comparison.

I wonder whether the likes of Stu et al are simply dreaming for something they just cannot have anymore. Age IS important IMO. Simply because I'm old enough to have been brought up in the Spion Kop. The young uns these days have missed out.

It was certainly different - and I'm also happy that it's evolved as I've got older ...... standing in the Kop and laughing at your mate as the fat bloke behind him "pissed where he stood" and it went down your mate's leg was highly entertaining ... but looking round all game in case it might be you next was much less so!!!!!

Think i went to one game in the pens aged 7. Too young to remember much.

I have nothing against older or elderly people going to the game.

But taking a pre packed meal just shows me the mindset of some fans. Bet they accompanythe sandwiches with a thermos flask and blanket.

These fans are going to be the ones who noan at you to sit down and look at you with scorn if you try and start a chant.

Much rather have 2-3k singers in an away end than 8k with 5k of them sat silently watching the game.

Football has changed for the worse even in the relatively short time I've been going. So yes i do yearn for the better days even if i cant necessarily remember how better the better days were.

And earlier in the thread, being called a spotty 18year old also shows the mindset of older non singing fans. Why do you have to be 18 to want to support ypur team properly ie vocally?

Think i went to one game in the pens aged 7. Too young to remember much.

I have nothing against older or elderly people going to the game.

But taking a pre packed meal just shows me the mindset of some fans. Bet they accompanythe sandwiches with a thermos flask and blanket.

These fans are going to be the ones who noan at you to sit down and look at you with scorn if you try and start a chant.

Much rather have 2-3k singers in an away end than 8k with 5k of them sat silently watching the game

I think you're miles off Stu to be honest.

The people that liked to bring a Thermos and a blanket were there at Filbert St too. That's not changed.

However, they never went in the Pens did they? If you went in the Pens you went to sing, chant, surge, take the piss and have a nobble.

Nowadays, the pens have gone. The 'standers' are grouped in with the 'sitters'. If you pay to sit and pay handsomely, the last thing you want is for someone to stand up in front of you.

However, and here's the rub, the composition of the fan base HAS changed. There are simply more people who don't want to lark about at football matches. With the introduction of many more women and kids, the whole thing has been sanitised. I can't see this changing. Even safe standing, if it comes about, will be massively controlled and probably closed at the first sign of any real trouble or injury.

Whether you see this as a good or bad thing is down to personal opinion. I simply know I used to enjoy the atmosphere so much more at Filbo then I have ever done at Walkers/King Power.

Know what you're saying.

But likewise when i pay handsomely i dont expect to have my day ruined by being made to sit.

Obviously someone has to give way. At home games its easier you know where you buy your seat determines whether you sit or stand.

Away games though you should be there for one thing only, to make a bloody loud noise

Know what you're saying.

But likewise when i pay handsomely i dont expect to have my day ruined by being made to sit.

Obviously someone has to give way. At home games its easier you know where you buy your seat determines whether you sit or stand.

Away games though you should be there for one thing only, to make a bloody loud noise

Nah....

Many people go to away games to see other grounds, to watch their team play away from home, to visit other cities (I tend to pick away fixtures where I can meet up with old mates after the game to go out with them). Their are a whole host of reasons for wanting to travel.

I tend to make a noise and enjoy it more if others do too but to impose your OWN reasons for watching City play away onto all other fans comes across to me as immature mate.

Bit of a generalisation as well as exaggeration there mate. It's popcorn, not gravel. If that ruins the film, it can't be that good.

My point is virtually everyone knows what away days are for abd what they're going to be like (should be like perhaps is more relevant to oyr away atmospheres)

I've just cited a host of reasons for what 'away days are for'...

Some will agree with you... To have a party and make noise. Others won't.

Tis the way of the world. And it's made harder for them to be like you want them to be because of all the reasons I stated in earlier posts.

It was certainly different - and I'm also happy that it's evolved as I've got older ...... standing in the Kop and laughing at your mate as the fat bloke behind him "pissed where he stood" and it went down your mate's leg was highly entertaining ... but looking round all game in case it might be you next was much less so!!!!!

Or finding your crombie has been slashed, did you ever go to The twin towers for a big match ? If you had you would know what was wrong "back in the day" and what's wrong with eating at a match, if you bring your own to a away game you anit giving them extra money

Rant over

Archived