Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Wellens - on his way out ?

Wellens was one of the most important first players in helping us develop a more passing and possession based style when he first signed for us. If anyone actually remembers, we used to play SHIT football before 08-09 sort of time. Horrible. He was certainly a massive improvement on what came before, he was the first CM at this club for a few years that would get on the ball, take responsibility and make the team play. He was a class act

He's in decline now as he's no longer at his physical peak. And the standard of players at City has shot up. No shame in that for Richie, and we got some very good years out of him, and I cannot understand why people scapegoat him as I have never seen him bottle it on the pitch. Its a disgrace really and I would be disgusted if I was him..

His legs have gone and time has caught up with him.

It's happened to Wellens, it'll happen to every single player. It isn't their fault so they shouldn't be vilified for it, especially considering Wellens was one of our better players in the play-off season and arguably in the following season in fits and starts. He deserves more respect than he has received on this thread.

He's not at the requisite standard for a team aiming for promotion to the Premier League, and possibly not even the Championship as a whole, but he'd absolutely dominate League Two matches with his technical ability, passing and football brain. He won't fall that far.

I see him going to either a side at the lower end of the Championship or a promotion chasing League One side. They'll need deep pockets to afford his wages though.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

he never gave 100% under Sven & he knows it & I know it ,

Of course it had nothing to do with Wellens being played at the base of a diamond (not his best position) with no pacy wide outlet to spread the field (Sven left Dyer out). The other team could just clog up the middle and close down Wellens immediately. And his legs have gone probably because he has been hacked down so many times.

An over rated player who even at his 'best' never did enough for me.

His posturing and pointing were something of a joke, hence his old nickname of 'Pointer' and despite his bluster, attempted hollywood passes, and occasional attempts at 'big' tackles he was largely ineffective in more difficult games.

He will probably never play for us again and that is fine by me...... :thumbup:

I remember when he was linked with a £2million move to Birmingham (who were then in the Premiership) and people were pleading with him to stay :ph34r: .

I genuinely thought Wellens had a couple of good seasons for us, but when you look at our current squad you just can't see where he would fit in as he no longer has the legs to play the high tempo game we adopt. I still think he could be useful back up on the bench for the last 20 minutes of a game if we were struggling in midfield, just to add that bit of experience.

In the last 2 and a half seasons he has played well for about 2 months during our purple patch under Sven. Other than that he has largely been average, uninterested or just plain crap and has spent most of this season sitting on his arse collecting 15-20k a week. I suspect we are stuck with him and his hefty contract until it runs out.

I could never really like Wellens. Always seemed overweight, slow and uninteresting. His face was offensive and he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his shooting. The kind of player i would love to play for Forest or Derby so i could dislike him. I'm probably being harsh of course. Hoping we can get rid of him asap, along with Danns, Beckford, Gallagher and StLedger as these will never play premiership football and are just costing us wages.

Not sure if you have a prblem reading and understanding or whether your head is stuck up your ass but just because the guy got old and played a few poor games doesn't mean that he didn't play some great football for us in many many games. I said he WAS not that he IS. I want him sold too but I don't think you or any of the others are in order when you talk such shit about his career at Leicester. There were many times when he was out BEST player on the pitch.

agree with everything you've said; from the fact that he has been a good player for us overall, to the fact that we need to move him on, to the fact that some of the comments on here are simpletons demonstrating their high capabilities for low brow buffoonery :thumbup:

Funny how the supporters of wellens completly miss the fact there has been quite a few rumours of him being a negative influence on the dressing room.

For all his so called good play, people seem to forget he used to dive and feign injury (alot). Not the sort of player the should of ever been playing for leicester.

Funny how the supporters of wellens completly miss the fact there has been quite a few rumours of him being a negative influence on the dressing room.

Rumours started by people who don't like him?

If he was a bad influence, would he have played such an influential role in a highly successful season under Pearson? Would he have been made captain by a manager who clearly places great importance on morale?

For all his so called good play, people seem to forget he used to dive and feign injury (alot). Not the sort of player the should of ever been playing for leicester.

Bullshit.

He was our Captain - chosen by the manager. So that seems unlikely at the time doesn't it?

Rumours started by people who don't like him?

If he was a bad influence, would he have played such an influential role in a highly successful season under Pearson? Would he have been made captain by a manager who clearly places great importance on morale?

Bullshit.

pretty short stint as captain if you ask me.

Hmmm i wonder why?

pretty short stint as captain if you ask me.

Hmmm i wonder why?

I don't think anyone is arguing that he isn't needed/wanted now. What is being said is that he was good for us in the past.

I don't think anyone is arguing that he isn't needed/wanted now. What is being said is that he was good for us in the past.

i wouldnt argue that technically he was once a fairly gifted footballer but i dont think he was ever consistantly good enough for leicester.

Along with the points i just mentioned i will be glad when he has left the club.

Fantastic player in his day kept the midfield ticking he has seen better days and probably time for a change for him if he does go good look richie hes been here through good and bad times but always was a favourite of the loyal blue

Fantastic player in his day kept the midfield ticking he has seen better days and probably time for a change for him if he does go good look richie hes been here through good and bad times but always was a favourite of the loyal blue

So if he was not a favourite you are not a loyal fan. FFS. :facepalm:

Archived