Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

• 2 weeks later...

The Open then this week, looking forward to it. It's very unlikely i'll be going though which will be the first one I've missed in about 6 years I think. A few mates are going up stupidly early on Saturday but don't think I can swing it with the missus.

Andy Sullivan looks a bit of a gift at 100/1, he's in great form, is a good links player and won the British Amateur at Troon several years ago. He's worth a decent e/w bet. Other early fancies are Molinari, Fitzpatrick and Leishman. I'll pepper a load of £3-4 on the exchanges at big odds and hope for some dough to play with later in the tournament. Did this in The Masters and it's a bit of fun that nearly paid off.

The Open then this week, looking forward to it. It's very unlikely i'll be going though which will be the first one I've missed in about 6 years I think. A few mates are going up stupidly early on Saturday but don't think I can swing it with the missus.

Andy Sullivan looks a bit of a gift at 100/1, he's in great form, is a good links player and won the British Amateur at Troon several years ago. He's worth a decent e/w bet. Other early fancies are Molinari, Fitzpatrick and Leishman. I'll pepper a load of £3-4 on the exchanges at big odds and hope for some dough to play with later in the tournament. Did this in The Masters and it's a bit of fun that nearly paid off.

I usually follow your tips as they seem to come pretty close most of the time and then have my usual bet on Louis e/w and watch him fall just short as usual :D

I backed Sulli at 125/1 last week, I see he is now into 66/1 in some places.

DJ has to be a shout, the bloke is this years Spieth. Playing out of his skin and now he's got one major, floodgates could open.

If Sergio is ever going to get one too, you fancy it to be The Open, he's also won again this year and is a real tempter.

I also like Adam Scott, did well at Firestone the other week, won twice this year and would've won at least one Claret Jug already if it wasn't for his horrid collapse at Lytham.

As per normal though, you can make a case for half the field, the talent is that good on tour nowadays. Fowler, Spieth, Mickelson, Rose, Willett, Day, Stenson, McIlroy, Kaymer, Kuchar are just some of the names I haven't mentioned there.

Outsider, I like Kjeldsen at 175/1, been playing some superb stuff this year and likes the wind (won the Irish open the other year, think he did well at Woburn and Wentworth this year too and wasn't a million miles away last week at the Scottish, so obviously likes the UK).

Not long now til the Open begins and I'm getting a hard on  lol

Just love this competition and everything about it. Went a few times in the 90's but haven't been for a few years now and do miss standing by the first tee at 6.30am with a can of beer in hand. In '93 I think it was we stayed up all night and left to drive to Royal St Georges at 3.00am in the morning. Got there in time to watch the first group tee off and stayed until 9.30pm to watch the last group finish from the 18th grandstand. Had been drinking all day then drove back to Leicester and got home about 2.00am the next morning. Had to stop for a coffee at every services to stay awake  lol  Happy days...

Any of you lads making the hike? Can't wait for it 12 hours plus of live coverage and it starts just when i get home from work.

I've been golf punting a different way recrntly which has served me well. Load up on a few golfers first round leader each way and if i go any good I'll bet after the 1st or 2nd round on someone to win it. Believe the Morning groups with the weather will be at an advatage tomorrow.

I was initially disappointed when the BBC lost the live rights to the Open, as I figured I'd be pissed off with sitting through adverts on Sky all day. But gotta say the coverage on Sky today has been first class. And their entire build up this week has been excellent. Can't fault them, and can't say I've missed the mumblings and gaffs of Peter Allis one bit. Whatever you think of Sky, they do golf very, very well IMO. 

I was initially disappointed when the BBC lost the live rights to the Open, as I figured I'd be pissed off with sitting through adverts on Sky all day. But gotta say the coverage on Sky today has been first class. And their entire build up this week has been excellent. Can't fault them, and can't say I've missed the mumblings and gaffs of Peter Allis one bit. Whatever you think of Sky, they do golf very, very well IMO.

Agreed, but I thought their usual "big boys/featured groups" took over a bit more than usual today (perhaps because of the stellar play of Mickelson and Z Johnson). Other than that it has been outstanding coverage.

Really like the Open Zone stuff they've been doing with the shot tracker.

A general question just before the action properly gets going today.

Finally have the funds to put towards a golf event to attend within the next year or so was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on once in a lifetime courses/championships to attend!??

Obvious one for me is Augusta, but it seems tickets for that are about as achievable as landing a Superbowl one.

On the euro tour, the event held in Switzerland in the mountains looks stunning, also Ryder Cup is an option but really want to do it in the US which means a long wait until after Hazeltine.

Finally have the funds to put towards a golf event to attend within the next year or so was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on once in a lifetime courses/championships to attend!??

Obvious one for me is Augusta, but it seems tickets for that are about as achievable as landing a Superbowl one.

On the euro tour, the event held in Switzerland in the mountains looks stunning, also Ryder Cup is an option but really want to do it in the US which means a long wait until after Hazeltine.

I wouldnt go to a Ryder Cup.

Yes, there is a football type atmosphere there, but the whole crowd has to fit around four holes and itll be very hard to see much quality golf. Its matchplay remember, people are picking up balls on greens, not finishing holes etc.

I think it depends what you want.

A location that combines a great off course location with a great course. Or is it just about the golf? Do you want the football type atmosphere? because if you do, you can get that at the Ryder Cup, or Phoenix Open for example where crowds are up to half a million people for the week.

There are some stunning Open venues. Carnoustie, Lytham St Annes and particularly Turnberry for its beauty are absolutely stunning.

On the european tour, there are some fantastic courses.

My personal favourites in terms of design would be Paris National (French Open), Bro Hof (Nordea Masters), Wentworth (BMW Championship), Carnoustie (Used as part of the Dunhill Links), Crans Sur Sierre (European Masters).

On the PGA tour, you could visit a US Open or a US PGA.

Regular event PGA tour courses that are stunning are Torrey Pines (Farmers Insurance Open), Riviera Country Club (Northern Trust Open), Firestone Country Club (Bridgestone Invitational), Harbour Town (The Heritage), Pebble Beach (Pebble Beach Pro-Am).

Watching a tour event live is incredible. You have no idea just how skillfull the players are until you see them for real and actually see the lies they are playing from, the countours on the greens, the bunkering.

No exageration to say a scratch player at your club would probably shoot a pair of 84s with the course set up for tournament play. On a flat calm day, where the tour pros would fancy a 67.

Edited by Donut

I've been fortunate to go to the Open many times over the years and other European Tour events - but nothing beats the Ryder Cup for me. I went to the Belfry in '89 and '02 and would sell my Granny to see see one in the States. The atmosphere is electric and I've witnessed nothing like it at any other sporting event. Augusta is also on my bucket list and I'm sure you could get a ticket if you're prepared to pay crazy money for it. Everything has a price, so I guess it depends on how much you're prepared to splash out...

Delighted for Stenson. What a final round that was and a truly deserving major champion. Phil was a class act too I thought. The Open always delivers. Can't wait for the PGA in a few weeks!

Delighted for Stenson. What a final round that was and a truly deserving major champion. Phil was a class act too I thought. The Open always delivers. Can't wait for the PGA in a few weeks!

Absolutely stunning golf from the final two today, a final round that will be replayed a hell of a lot over the years because it was one of the finest battles between two greats.

Unreal that Phil shoots 65 from starting 1 behind and ends up 3 behind. Delighted for Stenson, he was looking like one of those guys that was never going to get a major but glad he has.

So privileged to watch one of the greatest golf rounds in history by Stenson. Absolutely delighted for the guy after coming so close in the past. He won because he didn't let up by lagging things and hoping for mistakes when he went ahead but, instead kept being positive and going for the hole.

Felt for Mickelson too though. To finish 17 under and lose at all, never mind by three shots, wouldn't be believable if  he'd envisaged it in a nightmare. He was awesome on such a rare day when awesome wasn't good enough.

So privileged to watch one of the greatest golf rounds in history by Stenson. Absolutely delighted for the guy after coming so close in the past. He won because he didn't let up by lagging things and hoping for mistakes when he went ahead but, instead kept being positive and going for the hole.

Felt for Mickelson too though. To finish 17 under and lose at all, never mind by three shots, wouldn't be believable if he'd envisaged it in a nightmare. He was awesome on such a rare day when awesome wasn't good enough.

It was great

Massive credit to Paul Broadhurst for a fantastic win at the Senior Open at Carnoustie.

Before i broke my leg i was a very keen player and had the opportunity to play a charity day with Paul. A top guy very generous with his time and playing partners, a real stalwart of the European Tour too with some massive wins like 2 Portuguese Opens, the French Open amongst others.

He has a quality golf game as well. Very comfortable moving the ball low and both ways in the air. His putting stroke as well during his European Tour years was one of the best year in year out.

He played a bogey free 68 today on what Id consider the toughest of the Open venues, certainly the toughest finish, and he will now be exempt for the champions tour and in next years Open, so its a great win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donut said:

Massive credit to Paul Broadhurst for a fantastic win at the Senior Open at Carnoustie.

Before i broke my leg i was a very keen player and had the opportunity to play a charity day with Paul. A top guy very generous with his time and playing partners, a real stalwart of the European Tour too with some massive wins like 2 Portuguese Opens, the French Open amongst others.

He has a quality golf game as well. Very comfortable moving the ball low and both ways in the air. His putting stroke as well during his European Tour years was one of the best year in year out.

He played a bogey free 68 today on what Id consider the toughest of the Open venues, certainly the toughest finish, and he will now be exempt for the champions tour and in next years Open, so its a great win.

Well said, really chuffed for Broady 

And £213,000 for winning will keep the wolf from the door for a while :thumbup:

Well done Jimmy Walker. Kept his head under pressure and fully deserved his first major. Four first time Major winners this year just shows the strength in depth of the game right now. Special mention to Jason Day for that eagle on the last - awesome golf.