Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Huddersfield (Cup) Post Match 1-1

Just a note before the game, when the players got off the bus. Nigel Pearson and David Nugent were both quality, they stopped for everyone to sign autographs and have photos, as appose to other players. Quality from them two, in particular.

As for the game, I think we got slightly lucky. Weren't at our best, but did spark up when Nugent and Wood came on. Dyer frustrated me all game, constantly inside giving Konchesky and the strikers no option. Vardy tried but didn't have the quality, and I still don't rate Waghorn as much as other fans. Kasper's kicking still annoys me and Wellens' legs have gone now which you could see.

At least we are in the hat for the next round.

We didn't lose at home against a team 4 levels below, or concede 4 at home against a league one team, we scraped a draw away from home against a team who yes are struggling, but who have had their pride severely dented in the league and who were in a no lose situation today with a club legend in the dugout. Our fringe players need game time as they'll be needed between now and April and today was a chance to do that. Seems clear that both Vardy and Waggy need proper game time and confidence so wouldn't be surprised to see one of them loaned for a month this week. Wellens interview has made me question my criticism of him, seems to be a positive influence and if NP and Shakey would rather have him around than Danns then that's good enough for me. Nige to pull a rabbit out of the hat in the transfer market this week and maybe we can continue to move forward.

Got to accept it.Showed how much we need Knocky to take the responsibilty in the tighter areas.Only the radio but Marshall went into the background slightly.

Look forward to thursday doensnt appear to be any imjury issues from today so professional job needed from here in

If you put out shit players you will get shit results. The team that was put out today was an insult to the great away supporters. The club obviously think fvck all of the F.A cup and fvck all of the supporters.

City had run into a stretch where they had been run down earlier this season, so if there is a chance to rest some players--especially as City have two less days between games this week than necessary--Pearson has to figure out ways to do so.

Pearson still put out a decent back line, so it wasn't like he threw the youth team out there. Besides, there has been some speculation that Wellens and Vardy could be headed out for loan, so if that's true, this is probably the only chance Pearson had to put them in the shop window.

The league is a bigger priority, but it's not like the club is pissing on the FA Cup. They obviously tried to get something out of this game when it looked like they were heading out the door.

City manager Nigel Pearson was pleased that his side managed to stay in the FA Cup with Budweiser, but admitted a replay against Huddersfield Town was not the ideal outcome.

Substitute Chris Wood hit a late equaliser for Pearson’s side at the John Smith’s Stadium, cancelling out Lee Novak’s penalty and setting up fourth meeting between the two sides this season at King Power Stadium.

Promotion from the npower Championship remains City’s number one priority and a draw against the Terriers will now mean a significant change to the schedule in the coming weeks.

But Pearson insisted he would rather see that happen than see his side exit the world’s most famous cup competition.

“A draw’s not an ideal scenario for us but, having said that, I’m glad we’re still in the competition,” Pearson said.

“I don’t think we started as well as we have been doing. It was a bit disjointed during the first half, but I would rather still be in the competition and I think the changes we made in the second half had an impact.”

Pearson made five changes from the side that started last week’s league victory over Middlesbrough and admitted the alterations affected the Foxes’ flow, particularly during the first half.

But he was adamant that changes were required to ensure his team continue to compete on all fronts.

“It was sensible to make some changes, although you’re always flirting with people criticising you for doing so, but I’m not concerned about that.

“It’s not as though us naming a different side makes it a weaker one, we have an experienced squad of players. We have picked up a few injuries of late and training hasn’t been easy because of the conditions.

“It’s not always easy to get into a rhythm when you make changes. You lose a bit of flow from the side, but it was a good opportunity for those looking to get into the side.

“All in all, a draw wasn’t exactly what we wanted, but it’s better than losing.”

Pearson also saved praise for the travelling Foxes faithful for another impressive showing on the road.

Around 4,000 members of the Blue Army made the trip to West Yorkshire and the manager was extremely appreciative.

“They were fabulous again,” he said.

“I never want our fans to perceive us making changes as anything other than positive for our Football Club.

“I’m sure our fans would have liked to see us win today, but, on a day that we didn’t play perform as well as we can, we’re still in it.”

Perhaps the biggest disappointment today was that none of the 'squad players' appeared to step up to the mark.

Wellens does sound like he's seen his best days and the Vardy/Wags combo is miles away from Nuge/Wood.

Did King shine today? I dunno to be honest.

Today was a day for some of em to impress and to be pushing for the first 11 and it sounded like they didn't.

Fair play, we ain't out the cup, but I think we could have just won the game and wouldn't have to be thinking about bloody replays.

Boring as sin... Why bother posting here, you miserable cretin?

Insightful, thanks for that.

Why am I miserable just because I wanted us to win on the day? I just happen to believe the best chance we had of doing that was to play a full strength side, get a lead, then sub and rest our better players.

Alternatively, we decide we want to concentrate on the league, rest all 11 players, like Cardiff did, and even play those same 11 in a replay, and it doesn't matter what happens.

Just because you don't agree with me doesn't make you right, or indeed you more interesting and less miserable than me. I'm perfectly happy thanks, just annoyed that we didn't do one of the above.

Why post on here, well sorry, I thought this was a discussion forum on this topic, that's why. :thumbup:

Hate to criticise Pearson considering he is doing a great job, but the selection today was odd and things only really started to get going once he made the substitutions. He should have started with his strongest side possible and we would have avoided the replay.

Hate to criticise Pearson considering he is doing a great job, but the selection today was odd and things only really started to get going once he made the substitutions. He should have started with his strongest side possible and we would have avoided the replay.

I'm sorry to tell you, but that make you a miserable cretin like me then. :P:thumbup::ph34r:

Why? Would you have been delighted if Keane had got a second booking and then been suspended for our match against Wolves? I would criticise him for not playing the weakest team possible. Many teams in the past such as Sheffield United and Cardiff last year (albeit in the League Cup) have got bogged down in a meaningless competition that we have very little chance of winning.

No mention of Waghorn being shit? Konchesky being shit, King being shit, Marshall. being shit, Dyer being shit... Kapser & others being variable at best.

In all the team played shit.

2nd half konch was deeeece

He said James needed a rest, Knockaert was injured and could be out for a while and Wood had a knock.

Personally I would have made even more changes and given a chance to a couple of youngsters. Why? Because in recent weeks King, Dyer, Vardy and Waghorn have struggled to make an impact, which would leave us in trouble if we had an injury crisis. It's important for a manager to know whether he has players who can come in and do a job in the league.

Okay, so perhaps he doesn't. That's a worry, but now we know.

So I'd have given Moore a game, as he's been out of it for a while. I might even have tried one or two of the development squad. Wood, Nuge and Drinky changed the game but I'd honestly have preferred to go out of the Cup if they needed the rest.

He made the changes he did both to rest players and evaluate his second choice players but, as with the Burton game, they fell short. If that leads to a smattering of transfer activity AND a stack of our players looking fresher come Thursday, then it can only be a good thing.

I'd just prefer to have treated the fixture as less of a first team outing, because the worst that could have happened would be to spare ourselves a replay and extend our list of fringe players.

James needs a rest???? Hello he has only played about 2 games for us.WEIRD MANAGEMENT THAT.

Why does james need a rest when he is 21 ... he needs more games if anything surely???????

We play again in a few days, Knocky is injured, other players have had a bit of illness at various times, training has apparently not been ideal with the weather... making use of the squad in a game like this is the obvious thing to do.

The manager had every right to expect a higher level of performance than was collectively given by almost everyone other than Morgan, Keane, RDL & apparently Konch in 2nd half.

A good day for the team to have an off day (and still scrape a result) & knuckle down ready for Thursday

Why? Would you have been delighted if Keane had got a second booking and then been suspended for our match against Wolves? I would criticise him for not playing the weakest team possible. Many teams in the past such as Sheffield United and Cardiff last year (albeit in the League Cup) have got bogged down in a meaningless competition that we have very little chance of winning.

If, if, if.

Would you be pissed off if we trounce them 6-1 again in the replay, boosting our confidence further and going 10 games unbeaten in the league?

They got to the final at Wembley and lost on penalties.

And they didn't get bogged down, they weren't good enough.

I wouldn't have been do bothered about Wellens starting today, IF he'd have had a few games on the bench. To chuck him straight him seemed a bit much.

Tried his best, but he's certainly well behind in the pecking order.

I was most annoyed with the performance of dyer today, nothing short of a disgrace.

Archived