Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chilwell_Fox

Stats, Targets & Promotion hopes

Hi all,

As we are pretty much into the final third of the season I have started to take a look at our run in.

I did some digging into how many points we may need to secure 2nd place (Sorry optimists, I think 1st place has already been decided). I looked over the last 5 years to see how many points were achieved by teams finishing in second place. They were;

Southampton, 88 pts (11/12)

Norwich, 84 pts (10/11)

WBA, 91 pts (09/10)

Birmingham City, 83 pts (08/09)

Stoke, 79 pts (07/08)

That’s an average of 85 points. From our current position to achieve that we will need to average 1.89 pts per game or win 11 of our remaining 17 league games to hit 86 pts.

When I took a look at run I noticed how difficult the remaining three games were (Palace away, Watford home and Forest away). I think we may find that if we have not already achieved 2nd spot before these games we will have to go via the playoffs. With things looking so tight in there at the minute the best time to make a break away from the pack would be now. Our next 5 league games are Peterborough (24th), Charlton (14th), Blackpool (15th), Blackburn (13th) and Ipswich (19th).

Quite hopeful going into this weekend as Watford play Palace on Friday (at least one of them has to drop some points) and Hull have to go to Brighton which is not exactly an easy trip.

So which 11 games should we look to win?

These are the ones that I think are a must win

Peterborough (a)

Charlton (h)

Blackburn (h)

Ipswich (a)

Shef Wed (h)

Millwall (h)

Barnsley (a)

Birmingham(h)

Bolton (h)

However, that is only 9 games.

The thing is, you dont have to look at how many points were scored by the team in second to clinch second. You have to see what the team got in 3rd, and add a point on. For example, in your list above West Brom got 91 points. But if they had gotten 80 points, they would still have finished 2nd,

It's different every year. Whilst we're all exciting and trying to make it seem more probable... the thing we have to do is not worry about other teams. Beat whoever are in front of us and worry about the rest of the league in May, when we're a Premiership and they're not.

I think 11 wins is manageable we have 8 home games left so 8 wins is likely on the form we have showed this season and last season to a lesser extent since NP's return.

3 away wins at Dierby C**ty, Blackpool and Peterborough is doable.

The average points for teams finishing third in the last 5 years is 80

West Ham 86

Swansea 80

Forest 79

Shef Utd 80

Hull 75

That would leave us needing 28 more points at an average of 1.6 per game or 9 wins and a draw.

Thats more like it. I think 9 more wins will do it, and a few draws along the way

The average points for teams finishing third in the last 5 years is 80

West Ham 86

Swansea 80

Forest 79

Shef Utd 80

Hull 75

That would leave us needing 28 more points at an average of 1.6 per game or 9 wins and a draw.

Exactly. To get 2nd you have to get more points than 3rd, not beat the average of previous runners-up points totals.

Exactly. To get 2nd you have to get more points than 3rd, not beat the average of previous runners-up points totals.

West Ham's points total last year was 86 points, higher than the average for 2nd place. Thats why I calculated the average points for 2nd place not 3rd.

The thing is, you dont have to look at how many points were scored by the team in second to clinch second. You have to see what the team got in 3rd, and add a point on. For example, in your list above West Brom got 91 points. But if they had gotten 80 points, they would still have finished 2nd,

Well, with City's goal difference the extra point might be superfluous

Let's face it barring a monumental cock up we will get the play offs as a minimum, and at the start of the season most would've taken that.

Good point. I would've snapped the hand off anyone at the start of the season if they said we'd squeak into sixth on goal difference on the final day of the season.

Let's face it barring a monumental cock up we will get the play offs as a minimum, and at the start of the season most would've taken that.

Being in the position we are in now you would be disappointed not to get automatic, wouldn't you?

I'd say expectations have certainly changed since the start of the season. They always do over the course of a season.

For me, the play offs are far too much of a lottery

Hi all,

As we are pretty much into the final third of the season I have started to take a look at our run in.

I did some digging into how many points we may need to secure 2nd place (Sorry optimists, I think 1st place has already been decided). I looked over the last 5 years to see how many points were achieved by teams finishing in second place. They were;

Southampton, 88 pts (11/12)

Norwich, 84 pts (10/11)

WBA, 91 pts (09/10)

Birmingham City, 83 pts (08/09)

Stoke, 79 pts (07/08)

That’s an average of 85 points. From our current position to achieve that we will need to average 1.89 pts per game or win 11 of our remaining 17 league games to hit 86 pts.

When I took a look at run I noticed how difficult the remaining three games were (Palace away, Watford home and Forest away). I think we may find that if we have not already achieved 2nd spot before these games we will have to go via the playoffs. With things looking so tight in there at the minute the best time to make a break away from the pack would be now. Our next 5 league games are Peterborough (24th), Charlton (14th), Blackpool (15th), Blackburn (13th) and Ipswich (19th).

Quite hopeful going into this weekend as Watford play Palace on Friday (at least one of them has to drop some points) and Hull have to go to Brighton which is not exactly an easy trip.

So which 11 games should we look to win?

These are the ones that I think are a must win

Peterborough (a)

Charlton (h)

Blackburn (h)

Ipswich (a)

Shef Wed (h)

Millwall (h)

Barnsley (a)

Birmingham(h)

Bolton (h)

However, that is only 9 games.

Ipswich away? nahhhh mate

There is a mixture of fixtures for us. The likes of Ipswich and Blackburn are near the bottom, but the games will still be tough. With the way we have been playing though, I'd expect us to get a decent return of around 20 points.

All I'm worried about is us beating Peterborough on Saturday. Then I'll worry about us beating Charlton, then once that's out the way, Blackpool, then Blackburn, and so on. And I hope the players think that way too. No point putting pressure on to win a certain amount of games, or having to win certain games. If we take each game one at a time, try not to get too down after the odd defeat, we'll be fine. Beat Peterborough, and the rest before we even contemplate what we might need against Palace, Watford and Forest.

Archived