Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chrishlcfc

ben marshall

As I say, once we get 3 points somewhere, for most people (inexplicably) the cracks will have been papered over and we'll be nailed on for top two again and you won't notice the occasional post from us lot in the real world going 'erm.. don't think certain issues and resolved - or I don't think everything is that rosy' - because it will be buried under a pile of fickle, positive nonsense.

Seriously, what cracks? This has been our best season for ten years, easily. We've been in the top 6 all season and we've been in contention for automatic promotion for the majority of the season as well - and we still are! Yes - it's bloody frustrating that we're on a bit of a poor run at the minute, but a couple of games ago we'd won 5 on the spin and were looking unbeatable; it's form, it's changeable. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

People always bang on about the 'happy clappers' and people 'jizzing' over NP when we win a game, when the moaners are exactly the same when we lose one. It's like you lot just can't wait for us to lose so you can come and vent about what a shit manager we have, what a shit team we have and how we're never going to get promoted with this 'muppet' in charge with all your proclamations about how you're the only ones who 'see it how it is' or 'live in the real world' when all you're doing is ****ing moaning and overreacting. It's two defeats in the league. It's not going to end our season, in the exact same way as a couple of wins doesn't mean we're nailed on for automatic promotion.

Marshall is not a poor player! He's just not a winger full stop! all of his wonder goals against Chelsea,Hull and Ipswich came from central positions. He's technically very good and sprays the ball around for fun. There for his best position is anchorman behind a lone striker playing balls into him, out wide to wingers and striking efforts from distance, a position he's not played all season. Therefore I'd drop Nugent, go five in midfield with wood up top, Marshall behind and Knockeart,a new winger and Drinkwater and James together.

Wingers will always come under stick because its the hardest role on the pitch.

A few months ago I wouldn't have agreed with you but since I've switched out to the wing in my team, I've realised just how difficult it can be. Its great when you get the ball lots with the opportunity to get forward but if people don't play the ball to you often then the game passes you by and its difficult to get involved without losing your shape.

Ben hasn't been great, he hasn't been poor; he's doing a decent job and if he can get some confidence back then he can destroy this league.

Can't believe he's being made a scapegoat. He works so hard for the team and is a player who an change the game ina flash. Pops up with assists and important goals.

Think he's better on the right than the left but for me he offers much more than Dyer.

Take a closer look at his all round performance next time you see him play and you'll see that he offers a lot more than people think to the team.

Can't believe he's being made a scapegoat. He works so hard for the team and is a player who an change the game ina flash. Pops up with assists and important goals.

Think he's better on the right than the left but for me he offers much more than Dyer.

Take a closer look at his all round performance next time you see him play and you'll see that he offers a lot more than people think to the team.

For once I have to agree with bert

His work rate is second to none so will always be a Pearson type of player

Unfortunately the flair side of things is missing at the moment and like a lot of our players he is lacking a bit of confidence

Marshall's still an important player to us despite his recent performances not being good enough, he only needs to restore his confidence and he'll be underway again. But it DOES need to happen soon.

I tend to agree with this.

I'm still surprised that Dyer ain't starting though

For once I have to agree with bert

His work rate is second to none so will always be a Pearson type of player

Unfortunately the flair side of things is missing at the moment and like a lot of our players he is lacking a bit of confidence

That's the only thing letting him down at the minute, confidence.

I tend to agree with this.

I'm still surprised that Dyer ain't starting though

Never turns up in the cold months, that's his big problem. Very hit and miss is Lloyd.

I totally agree. He defends better than Gallagher, Dyer and Knockaert as well.

I thought Dyer made a big difference when he came on yesterday? I agree with Thrac. The omission of Dyer makes us a slow team coming forward. We are so much more dangerous when we attack with pace.

I thought Dyer made a big difference when he came on yesterday? I agree with Thrac. The omission of Dyer makes us a slow team coming forward. We are so much more dangerous when we attack with pace.

Wouldn't say big myself. Certainly gave us a different option but with the way he plays, the pitch meant he'd never be able to have a real big impact on the game for me.

One of my big criticisms of Dyer is that he tries to run through people and obviously it never works!

Dyer was shite when he came on. I'm normally a fan of Lloyd but he was rather negative on Saturday. He didn't get at his man once. He provided one pull back for Vardy, but did absolutely nothing else. His 'cross' for Wood was also definitely a shot before anyone else brings it up.

We definitely are a more dangerous side when we attack with pace, but isn't that the case for every side in football. Even without Lloyd we certainly have the pace to go and score on the counter, as has been seen many times this season.

His corners against Blackpool! Fvck me, they were awful! Thought he did okay otherwise in a difficult game but he did waste a few opportunities to create chances for us.

I'm sure it's probably been mentioned alread but I'd imagine most of the criticism for Marshall probably comes from him simply not being as fantastic as last season.

Which brings us back to the issue of why the Schlupp - Dyer pairing was so quickly dispensed with, sure the youngster gave a way a penalty and was a bit shaky thereafter but the combination showed so much promise....... :dunno:

Gave NFP a reason to, once again, show his innate conservatism and plump for the safe option in Konchesky........ :(

His corners against Blackpool! Fvck me, they were awful! Thought he did okay otherwise in a difficult game but he did waste a few opportunities to create chances for us.

I'm sure it's probably been mentioned alread but I'd imagine most of the criticism for Marshall probably comes from him simply not being as fantastic as last season.

Did not get to Blackpool but a couple of (manchester based) friends did. They offered a couple of interesting observations, the relevant one being that a midfield with Marshall operating ahead of King/Drinkwater looked pretty solid.

In fact they thought Marshall was easily our best attacking player, corners aside. They also thought the Nugent/Wood/Kane combination was woeful, three players each looking for one of the others to do the hard yards...... :dunno:

Did not get to Blackpool but a couple of (manchester based) friends did. They offered a couple of interesting observations, the relevant one being that a midfield with Marshall operating ahead of King/Drinkwater looked pretty solid.

In fact they thought Marshall was easily our best attacking player, corners aside. They also thought the Nugent/Wood/Kane combination was woeful, three players each looking for one of the others to do the hard yards...... :dunno:

I thought the midfield looked alright but I'd still prefer James in there and Marshall to move out to one of the wings.

None of our forwards played well against Blackpool, just one of those days where no-one performed up front and they all seemed a little frustrated. I think the system we played could work though, especially if Wood and Nugent play how they can. Having said that it isn't really necessary, we don't need three forwards on the pitch to score goals and it might not be a good idea against better teams.

I thought the midfield looked alright but I'd still prefer James in there and Marshall to move out to one of the wings.

None of our forwards played well against Blackpool, just one of those days where no-one performed up front and they all seemed a little frustrated. I think the system we played could work though, especially if Wood and Nugent play how they can. Having said that it isn't really necessary, we don't need three forwards on the pitch to score goals and it might not be a good idea against better teams.

James, Drinkwater and King are too similar to play all three, you get duplication of effort, ie 3 players doing the job of 2....... :(

Talking of duplication, that seemed to be an issue with the strikers on saturday, at least according to what I have been told.

I have always thought (this season) we have the players to play 4-2-3-1, but we are usually so useless when we play anything other than 4-4-2 that I can only assume we never practice such a systen in training. Even on saturday though we started 4-3-3 the first change we made was to bring on Dyer and switch to 4-4-2........ :(

When I asked about how the new formation worked, my friends had a bit of a chuckle and said something along the lines of,

"When your 4 man midfield can not make chances for your two strikers, the last thing you do is take out one of your more creative midfielders and bring on another striker"........ :thumbup:

Not having a go at the lad specifically, more at this consistent problem with corners!

Now as much as im sure if had played for city i coulda, shoulda, woulda.. BUT... Everyone playing professional football SHOULD be capable of hitting a deadball to within a 10 yard radius of where they aim. Corners are a definite threat and opportuntiy that (not just us) are being wasted.

What are these players being taught if they cant land a corner somewhere near the peno spot 8 out of 10 times?

Marshall and Knocky have clear ability but are very much in the development phase of their career, if they were complete players then they would be in the top flight.

Imo our midfied is too young to get us up via auto promo. Next year maybe. With the exception of king they're all 21 and dyer, gall and wellens aren't top of league players.

We need to be patient with the youngsters and hope they develop properly.

Marshalls corners on Saturday were a bit ropey but usually his corners are fine. The fact we dont score from them is because we dont have enough threat in the air. The delivery is more often than not decent.

Marshall is obviously a good player and offers alot to the team, his goalscoring hasnt been what we expected but aside from that, I think he's been effective in games.

Whatever happened to that bloke who scored about five 25-yarders within a few weeks last season? He seems to lack the confidence to shoot these days....and isn't convinced that he can beat his man either.

The biggest job that NP has to do at the moment is a psychological one - to restore the confidence of players who've lost it. Some adjustments of tactics and/or personnel may be required, but without a restoration of confidence that'll be near worthless.

Personally, I'd rest Marshall and Drinky, bring in Dyer and King (with Gally another option), but somehow seek to bolster the confidence of the dropped players on the training ground so that they come back stronger in a few matches time, ready to raise their game for the end of the season. I'd also mix it up more, playing a bit more long ball stuff, as the short-passing game doesn't work when Drinky is off his game, like now - and Wood (even Nugent) can handle long balls; in turn this can create more space in midfield as it pushes the opposition defence back.

I'd keep Knocky in, though, despite him having a stinker last night and deservedly being subbed early. Even in an average performance, he's always capable of pulling something out of the hat - a brilliant shot, pass, dribble or whatever.

I think dropping players is always a tough one, we seem to have a fragile confidence, so dropping a player won't necessarily help things, but then showing faith in a player out of form, then they won't always play themselves back into form and you get stuck with a dead weight until you do drop him, by that point his confidence is shot.

If I was a manager I would have a rotational policy and make sure that players understand that they aren't being dropped, just going with a different option this week, with the players we have in the middle it would be perfect, King, James and Drinky, are as good/bad as each other and any combination of the 3 should be sufficient, or play all 3, likewise the wide players, Marshall, Dyer, Knocky, all have strengths and weaknesses, but again any combination would work. Full backs we are currently limited, but having Schlupp/Konch and RDL/Moore, would be happy with any of them starting and they offer different options, we may end up losing out on Schlupp because he wasn't getting enough games. Centre back, SSL/Whitbread/Keane, are all competent partners to Morgan.

Up front is the big one for me, we stick with Nugent and Wood, then all well and good, but what if they lose form or get injured, with the addition of Kane, then maybe we will have options there again, not seen much of Kane, but I like the fact we went for a defensive 433, shows a different option and the ability to mix it up.

The problem with rotation is that then players don't feel like they are fighting for their place, and will know that despite how well they play, they could be on the bench the next game, or how badly they play their chance will come around again...

...But I'm not the manager so I'm just speculating here, Marshall is a good player and brings something to this team, but he is not playing to his potential, so do you drop him, and hope he finds form in th ressies, or do you continue and hope he finds form in the first team, a tough choice, and of course we will only know if Pearson has made the right choice in hindsight, but then everyone on here is a master of hindsight so I don't expect anything other than outright criticism if it turns out to be the wrong choice.

When will we employ a manager that can see into the future.

Archived