Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chrishlcfc

ben marshall

I'm trying not to be negative, but i really do think ben marshall needs dropping for a while. No not because he pussied out of a lot of challenges today. The lad looks devoid of any confidence at the minute and i feel this has been the case for well over a month, he's just having a poor spell. He can't beat players and his corner taking is poor.

He has been crap all season though.

I've said it before and I will say it again, fans expected him to be a real key player for us this season, pundits probably thought the same thing. It hasn't worked out though, and his form all season, has been one of the most disappointing things.

Far too hit and miss, but then you have Dyer who will of course replace him if he does get dropped, yet he is also very hit and miss. When Knockaert is off form like the last two games, we have no spark and lack creativity as well.

Marshall needs a good run of games, and some more goals; however I don't think we will see either for the rest of the season.

Thought he did ok last night. Put some good balls in in the first half. Woeful corners. He's lacking confidence though, doesn't help when fans air their frustration so vocally at him. We forget he's still so young. He got abuse last night for supposedly ducking out of a challenge. Think we need to give the lad a break.

Ben marshall.

Where has he gone?

He doesnt want to be playing on the left. He played with his head down too much last night and if you double up on him as charlton did he has no idea what to do.

Agreed, needs to be on the right and Big Balls needs to be dropped for Dyer

Ben marshall.

Where has he gone?

He doesnt want to be playing on the left. He played with his head down too much last night and if you double up on him as charlton did he has no idea what to do.

Or even play Gallagher

Marshall has changed as a player since we bought him and this is probably down to NP's military like instructions.

If Marshall was playing under Holloway he would be a different player but we'd probably get relegated!

When he first came here he played with no fear, beat players for fun and scored worldies for breakfast. I just hope Knocky doesn't follow suit.

Why do you think Gradel left? Nigel doesn't like loose cannons in free roles that excite the crowd. I'm not digging NP, he likes the defensive rigid style, who am I to argue with him, especially if we get promoted.

Marshall has changed as a player since we bought him and this is probably down to NP's military like instructions.

If Marshall was playing under Holloway he would be a different player.

When he first came here he played with no fear, beat players for fun and scored worldies for breakfast. I just hope Knocky doesn't follow suit.

Why do you think Gradel left? Nigel doesn't like loose cannons in free roles that excite the crowd. I'm not digging NP, he likes the defensive rigid style, who am I to argue with him, especially if we get promoted.

Why would he buy Marshall and Knockaert then? We've played some lovely attacking football this season and the best of it has come when Knocks has been at his best.

We've been crying out for another winger for a long time now and yet, NP just hasn't acted on that.

I think he sees Dyer as the solution and yet between the three of them for two players, we always seem to have at least one playing who is off their game.

Some will see this as unlucky. I see it as a problem/weakness we all identified some time ago and that NP has not acted to resolve.

Why would he buy Marshall and Knockaert then? We've played some lovely attacking football this season and the best of it has come when Knocks has been at his best.

Yeah but have you heard Nigel's interviews stringer "unbelievable performance from Knocky Nigel?" NP "erm yeah but he's still got a lot of his game to work on, listen, Knocky can change a game but there's other parts of the game that are important" basically, give me a few months and I'll have Knocky helping his team mates first before trying to do it on his own.

Nigel bought the players because he wants raw talent that he can turn into his ideal player.It doesn't always happen though as players get confused, lose confidence which is awful.

I've been there myself...

I use to play right wing and I loved playing the position as a youth. I'd pick the ball up on the halfway line, run forward, beat boys for fun and I loved playing football. At the age of 15 I was asked to play for the seniors, my youth manager warned me that it'll be different, but I knew best and off I went. It was different straight away. I was told exactly what to do. "if that man has the ball you stick to him like glue" "if you get the ball you run with it into that area" thats all I want you to do.

I'd get a bollocked everytime I tried something different and after a few games my confidence was shot. I then broke a bone and didn't play for 6 months. When I played for the youths again it took me ages to regain confidence and get back to my best.

Nigel isn't the kind of manager who would put his arm around Marshall and say "Ben, just play without fear. Follow your instinct and if it doesn't come off, don't worry" it would be more "look after your full back and keep it simple"

The fear of not meeting Np's expectations must be massive.

The fear of not meeting Np's expectations must be massive.

Which is odd as it does seem at times that his expectations are very very basic and low level.

That said, I do agree that perhaps he does constrain creative players and in turn sap energy and confidence from younger players, particularly those with a 'raw' talent.

Should have seen the warning signs with Mattock and Gradel? Or is that harsh?

Archived