Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Paul Konchesky has hamstring problem

Merc

Leicester City manager Nigel Pearson is hoping the hamstring injury picked up by Paul Konchesky on Tuesday is not serious.

The left-back was replaced at half-time in the 1-1 draw with Leeds United at the King Power Stadium as a precaution after the playericon1.png felt a tightening of a hamstring.

Pearson said the City medical staff had caught the injury early enough to avoid a serious problem. But they will assess the former England international ahead of Saturday’s visit of Sheffield Wednesday before deciding whether he is fit enough to play.

Should Konchesky, who underwent a scan yesterday, miss out then Pearson is expected to opt for Lloyd Dyer to play left-back after the winger replaced him against Leeds, or Jeff Schlupp will come back into the squad.

Schlupp is currently the subject of negotiations between City and Manchester United about a possible move in the summer after impressing during a traininglb_icon1.png period with United.

“His hamstring is tight and we will get it scanned,” said Pearson. “Hopefully we have caught it in time.

“He has been a very consistent player for us so, hopefully, it will not be too big a problem. But we have to wait to see the results of the scan.”

Pearson said his side deserved the last-minute equaliser which rescued a point for them after another frustrating night.

Michael Keane scored his first league goal for the clublb_icon1.png in the fourth minute of added time to prevent a fourth defeat in six games for City, and Pearson praised the spirit of his side for fighting on to the very end.

“Things don’t always go the way you want them to but I’m pleased with the desire of the playerslb_icon1.png to get something out of the game,” he said.

“I think the players deserved it. It was a tough game for us, conceding an early goal in the second half, and they made it difficult for us.

“We worked the goalkeepericon1.png. He has made some very good saves, and they made some good blocks in the second half at which point it looked like it probably wasn’t going to go for us. But we persevered and got something out of the game, and that’s a good illustration of what it takes.

“Spirit is what you need if you want to make any progress. It’s disappointing not to win. We do need to find more wins at the moment, but that’s the nature of it.

“We hung in there and our players showed some good spirit. There are always going to be people who are not happy but I’ll stick by my players and I know they’ll get on with it.”

Read more: http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/story-18334562-detail/story.html?#ixzz2Mmj9rhWk

Follow us: @thisisleics on Twitter | thisisleicestershire on Facebook

Id prefer Jeff to Dyer there.. Llyod isnt a defender but at least jeff can,and has done a job there and wouldnt unsettle the rest of the defence too much. Failing that get a loan, pretty bloody quick, next game is 3 days away. Patrice Evra? ;-)

I don't care what we do as long is it ain't Dyer who plays there! Simply awful! I appreciate his defensive work when he plays on the wing but when it comes to sensible positioning he clearly hasn't go it. Pearson seemed to rule out CBs playing at fullback in his interview. Rejected the idea of Whitbread coming on.

Earlier in the season when Konchesky was out Pearson said if he was going to be out for a significant amount of time he'd look to get an experienced left back in on loan. He clearly values Konchesky being in the team as much for his experience as his ability so if he's out for too long then I'd expect Pearson to get someone experienced in in his place rather than to look to Schlupp/Taft/Keane/switing RDL.

Archived