Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
muzzy1981

Strategy: Owners v Pearson

Just to be clear I am a Pearson fan and would be sad to see him go, however I do believe his strategy since being at club conflicts with that of the owners and if we don't go up it will be his downfall. Put simply....

Owners Strategy = Promotion this season at all costs

Pearson Strategy = Build a squad for the future

Future

Keane = 19

Drinks = 23

James = 21

Wood = 21

Marshall = 21

Knockaert = 21

Kane = 19

Promotion

Morgan

Relegation

Vardy (sorry harsh but he doesn't cut it)

Building for the future is clearly within Pearson's ethos having come from a youth coaching background which I think is good but whether the owners can understand that is another matter, there the ones forking out!!!

3rd youngest squad in the whole of the football league.

Majority of players brought in have shown true class too, so their form aside they obviously have the talent to improve year on year.

Surely the owners have bought into this management philosophy though?

If it was promotion at any cost this season then they'd have got someone with Mourinho's skillset in, ie. someone with a proven record of buying instant success (which is what they thought they were getting with Sven) in appointing Pearson it seems to indicate change of tact to a manager who builds, whilst challenging as opposed to 'all out promotion at all costs'

But we're closer to achieving the owners goal than we have been in any other season and we're building for the future.

But you could argue the management team could've made a bigger effort towards promotion by altering the squad slightly but I do agree. Pearson is clearly going for it, you can tell by what he says in his interviews, he repeated the phrase "my remit is to get us into the Premier League" a few times early on in the season.

It's just that the youth of the team is perhaps hindering us a bit. Perhaps Pearson could've sacrificed a little of his long term plans to help our promotion push this season but I'm not going to have a moan at him for it. He's done a great job so far.

Just to be clear I am a Pearson fan and would be sad to see him go, however I do believe his strategy since being at club conflicts with that of the owners and if we don't go up it will be his downfall. Put simply....

Future

Keane = 19

Drinks = 23

James = 21

Wood = 21

Marshall = 21

Knockaert = 21

Kane = 19

Promotion

Morgan

Relegation

Building for the future is clearly within Pearson's ethos having come from a youth coaching background which I think is good but whether the owners can understand that is another matter, there the ones forking out!!!

So what you're actually suggesting is that they don't talk to each other!

I think 'promotion at all costs' was last seasons strategy. It didn't work and the owners changed course in October when they scaked Sven.

By bringing in Pearson, they must have known what he would be inclined to do given he'd signed young players everywhere else he'd been at and his preference is generally to work with a younger, hungrier squad.

Rather than be any confliction, over policy, I would say the owners support what he's doing since (as Mark mentioned) he's brought down the wage bill AND got us closer to promotion. I think this is why they won't sack him before May.

He buys young, hungry players, nothing wrong with that

in a situation like ours experience is key though, the youngsters will start to loose confidence in themselves, a few more calm heads in there would be great right now

Owners strategy: bring in a popular manager with a semi-proven track record of delivering competitive teams at low prices, back him with money when needed but otherwise leave him to it while concentrating on developing the club's infrastructure as part of a long term plan to make the club sustainable in the top flight

Fans opinion: DEY IZ CLOOLESS INNIT DEY IZ FORREN DEY AIN'T NO NO NOFFING BOUT FOOTY YOOOOPPOPO

Well if Pearson goes if we dont go up then it is quite possible the owners don't understand his approach. I hope they do buy into it because I'm a fan of the build strategy.

Moose breath not quite sure of your point in the 2nd para, seems a little immature?

Experience didn't stop us being shit for 6/7 seasons and didn't stop us falling to our lowest level ever.

Let's not forget although it was an achievement to get promoted straight away out of the third tier that was still our lowest ever finish, hardly something to be proud of.

I just hope the owners are sensible about it all.

If you don't offer a manager a new contract for winning 5 games in a row....why would you sack him if he lost 5 in a row??

I understand some of the flack with NP gets about 'no plan B' etc. But Fergie was criticized about that last season, whilst Wenger has been criticized about that since they last won a trophy.

So sacking NP and bringing in one of the two most successful managers in British football would not guarantee us a 'plan B'.

I said at the start of the season, I fully expect us to be promoted (given a similar squad and same manager) NEXT season, not this one.

I wonder whether that is the owners and Pearson's target?

Dunno...

i can remember this.

I can also remember that 90% of the forum were negative, with the most optimistic poster claiming play-offs would be an unrealistic but great achievement.

Lets face it, Pearson has built the expectation, some cracking signings and some great performances at times have shown we at one point were by far the best side in this division.

My own strange analogy...

Pearson has found all of the edge pieces (kasper, morgan, drinky, knocky, nuge, wood), has connected them all together, and is progressing rather well, all he needs now is a few more pieces (shittu, Briggs, trotter, tomlin) to complete the puzzle.

I can also remember that 90% of the forum were negative, with the most optimistic poster claiming play-offs would be an unrealistic but great achievement.

Lets face it, Pearson has built the expectation, some cracking signings and some great performances at times have shown we at one point were by far the best side in this division.

Exactly. This is the reason for all the disappointment and frustration at the moment. Once you get to 2nd in the league people will be disappointed if you drop below it, I can't imagine there'd be so much frustration if we'd climbed up to 6th rather than dropped down to it.

Expectations change every few weeks depending on how well the team is playing - if we hold 6th for a few weeks people will calm down again and be satisfied with our position.

Future

Keane = 19

Drinks = 23

James = 21

Wood = 21

Marshall = 21

Knockaert = 21

Kane = 19

Promotion

Morgan

Relegation

Kane & Keane don't count as there not ours!

3rd youngest squad in the whole of the football league.

Majority of players brought in have shown true class too, so their form aside they obviously have the talent to improve year on year.

Surely the owners have bought into this management philosophy though?

If it was promotion at any cost this season then they'd have got someone with Mourinho's skillset in, ie. someone with a proven record of buying instant success (which is what they thought they were getting with Sven) in appointing Pearson it seems to indicate change of tact to a manager who builds, whilst challenging as opposed to 'all out promotion at all costs'

To be fair, Pearson's record in his first spell seemed to be pretty instant success, more so than this season anyway, won the league first time of asking and totally outdid expectations the year after, I doubt King Power would've been unhappy with 5th that year.

I think we're all making a bit of an assumption about the owners - how do we know their goal is promotion at all costs ASAP? They may have completely changed their philosophy since they sacked Sven and realised it takes time. I'd love to know what grounds they brought Pearson back on - because he's a long-term team builder and they would surely have been aware of this.

Better sell on value (although we're not a selling club to be honest).

If they wanted instant success they got the wrong man. I think he's very much a long-term manager, arguably too much so but I maintain if Pearson was in charge for a long time we'd be a strong side.

Better sell on value (although we're not a selling club to be honest).

If they wanted instant success they got the wrong man. I think he's very much a long-term manager, arguably too much so but I maintain if Pearson was in charge for a long time we'd be a strong side.

And we'd have stability. I can't stress enough how much over the years our fans have craved for that. We looked to be on the right track before Milan let Pearson speak to ****ing Hull City. Now he's come back, it'd simply be a rash decision to sack him. It's not like we don't even have shot of promotion - we can thank our lucky stars that we're still in contention for play-offs despite 1 win in 9 games. But we can also thank Pearson for that because of how high he got us so that when we did suffer soemthing like this bad run of form, we'd have got enough points to keep us 'safe' so to speak. I'm not saying this bad run should have happened, but it has and we just have to keep looking to the next match and hope we play good enough to get 3 points.

Obviously we all want top 2 and after seeing us reach the top 2, our expectations rose. And with a young squad like our (3rd youngest in whole of Football League?) perhaps those expectations were too much.

There's a fine line between what we want and what is possible to achieve. Perhaps top 2 would have been over-achieving. What we want is promotion, clearly. Getting it as top 2 would have been a bonus.

The owners are financing this "young" squad so an indicator perhaps that Pearson's position has never nor will be in question as long as we dont sink too low.

Explains why we see lacklustre performances, no plan B and a stubborness to make radical changes.

Archived