Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

What tactics would you use for the 2nd leg?

Don't sit back from the start, they will probably throw a lot at us early on but if we can play on the counter attack we might nick a goal.

Don't go there with fear, and don't play three across midfield like he did in the league match there, just did not work at all.

Don't sit back... we'll be there for the taking if we do.

Need to go 4411/4231 again to help null the threat of them passing the ball to pacey players.

Can't see them changing tactics too much as they're built around breaking with pace, it may help us that they need to attack

I'd definitely put schlupp up front. Think he'd be more mobile on the break and cause them more issues than wood.

Who would then have a point to prove coming off the bench and cause issues. Hopefully.

4 5 1 / 4 3 3 a la the Cardiff game. 

Don't play defensively but play a little smarter, close them down, harry, spoil it. We don't really do losing by more than a goal so if we keep our composure and play to our strengths I don't see how they can expect to beat us over 180 minutes.

Let's not be too gung ho, they operate best on the counter so it would seem crazy to play in to their hands. I think set peices will be key for both teams but overall I am confident that we can come through this.

Most importantly Dyer and Knockaert need to stay a threat which will leave their wing backs in a stick or twist type scenario. They barely offered a thing tonight unless they were put straight through so unless they plan on Chabolah scoring like the other week I'm not overly concerned.

What other people have said - do not sit back and invite pressure all game because we cannot cope with it. Close them down more, especially when they are shaping to shoot, and press them with gusto.

I think we should play our own game

We are defensive primarily and that has served us well,certainly in the first half of the season.

Watford are set up to counter attack and that's why their home record is poor,they do what they do well by countering

We don't need to be "gung ho" now and I think they are very one dimensional.

Sure it's not nailed on but if Pearson gets it right we can start looking at a day out in North London!

Sensible use of possession. They want to play the counter, so don't let them, keep our shape, Nugent dropping off the main striker (Kane done enough to earn the nod for me) was effective in stifling their distribution into midfield. Retain possession and don't let them hit us on the break.

We can't resort to long ball, what goes up essentially must come straight back at us. It's essentially a lost % of possession unless we get lucky with a header out for a throw in.

Hold onto the ball and don't let them play their 'counter-attacking football' everyone keeps fvcking banging on about.

I've just mentioned this in another thread, but often we are resorting to long balls because the options and movement ahead are so poor. The strikers need to do so much more than they did tonight, at least jump for headers or move towards the ball or something.

And we don't need to leave both King and James back, occassionally one of them needs to quickly get up with the attack. Often tonight, one was sitting and the other was casually jogging over the halfway line instead of busting a gut and calling for it. Other than that both played well though. But we were too outnumbered in attack most of the time.

We need to be more energetic when defending as well. Pressing for one, but close down quicker when they're around the box as well. I'm just watching the replay on Sky and Knocky was beaten way to easily on the left for one Watford opening, and Schlupp also countless times. When players are overlapping we need to be aware of it, not react to it after they've skipped by. And towards the end, Schlupp again let a player come inside and have a clear shot.

The midfielders are guilty of doing the same.

I'd definitely put schlupp up front. Think he'd be more mobile on the break and cause them more issues than wood.

Who would then have a point to prove coming off the bench and cause issues. Hopefully.

I'm pretty convinced Schlupp only started (and stayed on) tonight because of Anya's pace down their right. With Dyer and Schlupp we could match him, Konchesky would get torn to shreds.

As for tactics, forget about tonight until the 80th minute onwards on Sunday. Keep tight as you would in any away game but go out with the aim of winning over that individual 90 minutes. If it gets to 80 mins of the clock and you're deadlocked then you can consider trying to shut shop for the last 10 minutes and seeing it out with a draw.

Guest BlueBrett

Same team. Keep it tight and frustrate them. At some point they will have to go all out for the win and throw men forward. Thats when James or kingy will nick it, get it wide to dyer or knocky and we kill them off on the break like we did to forest.

Sounds so simple!

I'm pretty convinced Schlupp only started (and stayed on) tonight because of Anya's pace down their right. With Dyer and Schlupp we could match him, Konchesky would get torn to shreds.

As for tactics, forget about tonight until the 80th minute onwards on Sunday. Keep tight as you would in any away game but go out with the aim of winning over that individual 90 minutes. If it gets to 80 mins of the clock and you're deadlocked then you can consider trying to shut shop for the last 10 minutes and seeing it out with a draw.

I see what you mean....

But with us being the home team Watford were more likely to catch us on the break.. or at least try to... and this is where Konch could of been easily exposed against Anya. with us being the away team there would be less of us  pushing forward and not so much overlapping by our LB. I also think wood looked a little bit limited tonight and given Schlupp's recent success from the front I think it could be a vital away goal that could be crucial...

Archived