Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

Guest MattP

Surely no one but tourists eat at the Aberdeen Angus anymore when Gaucho, Goodmans and Hawksmoor are all within walking distance?

TGIs is just a chain restaurant, it's not exactly fine dining for the executive elite, Ken. Jesus boyo, you could at least pretend to stay in touch with the real world.

Tgis is alright, it's a slightly better version of Franky n Bennys. Anyone going in expecting anything but is going to be disappointed. Think American diner style version of Beefeater. Come to think of it, it's basically Coast to Coast with cheesier decor.

Fair enough. I do not use fast food restaurants on a regular basis so it is true I am out of touch. I was just going on what other places in the Shires were like. I do not travel outside of Leicester so have no need to have a lot of knowledge about the chain.

Surely no one but tourists eat at the Aberdeen Angus anymore when Gaucho, Goodmans and Hawksmoor are all within walking distance?

Pretty sure Aberdeen Angus is much cheaper than Hawksmoor no? But yeah, AA is a magnet for day trippers who just want an easy meal around Leicester Square.

Fair enough. I do not use fast food restaurants on a regular basis so it is true I am out of touch. I was just going on what other places in the Shires were like. I do not travel outside of Leicester so have no need to have a lot of knowledge about the chain.

None of the places in the high cross are really executive or posh. They're glossy and well presented but I think every single one of them is a chain, except maybe Real China which is a dive anyway.

Cafe Rouge, Carluccios, etc might all be a bit over priced but that's just because they've got a prime location. There's no elitism or class injustice going on there, it's just pretty standard, pretty normal shopping mall fair.

Weatherspoons is just round the corner for anyone that would rather a beer and burger for a fiver.

Edited by Finnegan

I bet there isn't that much difference anymore.

A decent steak in Central London will cost 35-40 quid.

Decent yeah but I'd imagine AA costs the same as TGIs which is about twenty quid.

I'm not paying hundred odd quid for my missus and I to have some tidy grub when we're just out for an afternoon shopping that's already hurting my pocket. Same for the test of the day trippers.

You can get an alright meal for two for that thirty five quid in TGIs. That's it's niche.

Shocking as it may be for you, Matt, some people think there's a time and place for a fifty quid steak! :D

Guest MattP

Decent yeah but I'd imagine AA costs the same as TGIs which is about twenty quid.

I'm not paying hundred odd quid for my missus and I to have some tidy grub when we're just out for an afternoon shopping that's already hurting my pocket. Same for the test of the day trippers.

You can get an alright meal for two for that thirty five quid in TGIs. That's it's niche.

Shocking as it may be for you, Matt, some people think there's a time and place for a fifty quid steak! :D

I actually thought Aberdeen Angus was more expensive than that - I remember footing the bill for three people about 5 years back and I didn't get much change from £200.

You can actually get decent meat by finding a South American restaurant in Camden and straying from the chains. They understand meat.

Oh yes sure. But like we said, you're talking tourist traps. That block around Leicester Square and P. Circus is chocker with chain restaurants the same as the High Cross is.

Some friends took me to one of those Brazilian, steak, all you can eat places in Putney three or four years ago and that was absolutely stunning

I am probably a skinflint. I have always been careful what I spend in shops etc. Could be something to do with growing up within  a family where my mother was careful with the housekeeping money. Did all her own cooking. Own made pies cheap cut meat and banana sandwiches on a Saturday teatime. I have been to more expensive places but only on special family occasions not for just a bite to eat at lunch time.

i do not visit the Shires much so not taken note of prices and Weatherspoon burgers are now 6-10 pounds.

Disappointed with Bills. The restaurant is great, really like the setting, but out of five times I have visited them in various places, the food is pretty poor.

The restaurant itself though is a great place to visit.

First visited them about three years ago when they had about seven restaurants, they have now got over fifty.

Been living off narborough rd for the last 5yrs and that area is getting depressing. Rubbish all over the place and regular fly tipping on my street. It's really becoming a bit rough in every sense of the word. Spending lots in the city but my area is the first thing you see coming in and it's looking dog rough. Used to love Braunstone Gate but Natter Jacks on a friday/saturday night has turned it into yobville, don't get me started on the £4.90 Obar charged me for a pint - fvck me.

Whenever I visit Leicester I'm always shocked by the lack of a vibrant restaurant culture either in the city or outlying areas. A lack of independents outside of your formulaic Indian restaurants. Any reasons? No eating out culture? Lack of disposable income? The fact that the city is just not an inviting place to visit? It feels quite sad that carluccios, bills etc are seen as anything but bog standard but nicely decorated chains. FFS a news story that a TGIs is opening! Jeez

What do folk think of the Belgrave flyover re-vamp now that it's finished?

To be fair I think it's a big improvement on the look of the place. Can't comment on the effect on traffic flow as i rarely use it.

To be fair I think it's a big improvement on the look of the place. Can't comment on the effect on traffic flow as i rarely use it.

I don't know what was wrong with it in the first place. People are hardly going to start booking their holidays there now that the flyover's gone.

• Like 1

Certainly looks a more inviting area now, but it's all pointless really when belgrave gate / road into town is an utter shit hole.  Traffic will probably be ok in the main, didn't seem too bad during the demolition etc. But as with all of Soulsby's ideas it will fail massively with any kind of incident. Losing a few lanes of traffic in and out is only going to cause problems at some point.

Yeah that. I don't drive and don't traverse that area but surely whether or not it's practical should be more significant than its looks?

You're talking about the council who act like the "golden mile"  is something to behold and not what it actually is... a load of old crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Late on it with this but went in to the new Queen Of Bradgate today, was really impressed. Had a Leicestershire ploughmans with a pint of Tiger, Mr Leicester.

Yeah deffo a good addition to Leicester's pub/bar scene. They have a great beer selection.

I would love to be back in Leicester, permanently.

I have to say, that the once fantastic market, is only a shadow of it's former self.

A number of the stalls I visited are gone, and on the first level there is now a large horrible space, where I used to buy some of their large variety of cheeses, pork pies, and bacon and ham etc. Also the large china stall, once shown on a tv documentary program has gone. I used to enjoy the way they sold their stuff, stacking the goods, higher and higher. Great fun. The shoe stalls were not there either, when I last went, a couple of years ago, and I couldn't see the Lineker's fruit and veg stall, either.

One amusing thing though was that my partner and I were staying at Premier Inn. I bought some strong smoked cheese, a couple of days before we left, as we were told the market was not open for the next two days. It was well sealed, but when we got back to our room it still smelt strong. My partner left it in the bathroom, but outside in the corridor we could still smell it. She then ran cold water into the bath, and sunk the bloody thing, but still we could smell it. It was so bad we had to apologise to room service!  lol

Leicester mayor Sir Peter Soulsby admits plan for cycle lane in London Road might be controversial

By danjmartin  |  Posted: April 06, 2015

9802699-large.jpg

Leicester mayor Sir Peter Soulsby admits plan for cycle lane in London Road might be controversial

"London Road is one that could contribute considerably."

He told members he looked forward to their support "when we come forward with what might well prove to be quite controversial plans to ensure cyclists are able to come down London Road and use the provision we have made in the city centre."

However when the Mercury asked him to elaborate Sir Peter said it would be "quite a challenge" to incorporate a cycle lane along London Road.

The mayor's previous schemes to widen the city's cycling network have split road users.

His £750,000 project giving a lane of traffic in Newarke Street over to cyclists has been hailed by those who travel on two wheels but prompted complaints by motorists.

His experiment to do the same on Welford Road also split opinion.

When asked to elaborate on the London Road comments Sir Peter insisted there was an "ambition" but no firm plans but that he was sympathetic to the request of groups like the Leicester Cycling Campaign Group (LCCG) for such as measure.

He said: "It is a challenge because on London Road every piece of space is used.

"To have a cycle lane from the (Victoria) park gates to Granby Street is an ambition but would be very difficult to achieve.

"I am not convinced you squeeze it all along the route.

"I am open to suggestions about how it may be done.

"It would be an alternative to the cycling we see on New Walk."

LCCG spokesman Eric Ludlow urged Sir Peter to come up with a scheme.

He said: "The mayor is right to say we need more cycling provision along the main arterial routes and London Road is certainly wide enough.

"Again the devil would be in the detail but a cycle lane would need to be continuous prioritised and protected."

Tory city councillor Ross Grant said cyclists were too intimidated to ride into the city.

He urged Sir Peter to outline his whole citywide cycling plan.

He said the usage of Newarke Street's cycle lanes was pathetic and just frustrated the public.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-mayor-Sir-Peter-Soulsby-admits-plan/story-26290401-detail/story.html?dwrMeth=addComment&afterReg=Y#ixzz3WYVVYS00 
Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

• 1 month later...

Hidden factory courtyard in Leicester's historic heart to be used for exhibition

By danjmartin  |  Posted: May 12, 2015

• 10050400-large.jpg

The courtyard off Millstone Lane

• 10050401-large.jpg

Leicester City Council's Sophie Noone in the old factory off Millstone Lane

• 10050400-thumb.jpg
  • 10050401-thumb.jpg
 Comments (0)

A hidden factory courtyard is to be used to stage an exhibition about a £1.6 million scheme to restore and protect the historic heart of Leicester.

The space off Millstone Lane, behind the Boot Room restaurant, is privately owned and normally locked up.

However, council officials will use it to launch the Greyfriars Townscape Heritage Initiative tomorrow.

Over the next five years, the project will see at least 20 of the most historically important buildings in the area, to the south of Leicester Cathedral, restored and regenerated.

The city council will put £450,000 of cash into the scheme.

The launch event will run from noon until 5pm.

People can find out more about the project and the grants and training available, learn about the history of the area and try their hands at a spot of lime re-pointing.

Leicester Civic Society will be leading guided walks of the area from 1pm and 4pm.

There will be a display of medieval ceramics organised by the University of Leicester and a display of 3D modelling technology by De Montfort University's Digital Building Heritage Group.

There will also be a small exhibition of county artist Olwen Hughes' sketches of buildings in the area on display at The Case Shop, 22 Millstone Lane.

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby, pictured, said: "The Greyfriars area is one of the city's architectural and historical treasures.

"The generous support from the Heritage Lottery Fund will help us restore important examples of the city's built heritage and invest in making the area more attractive to visitors.

"This launch event is a great example of how we can encourage people to enjoy this fascinating part of the city centre and discover its hidden history for themselves."

The Greyfriars Townscape Heritage Initiative will be run by Leicester City Council in partnership with Leicester Cathedral, Leicester Civic Society, and both of the city's universities.

It will focus on buildings in New Street, Millstone Lane, Friar Lane, Wycliffe Street and parts of St Martins and Peacock Lane. Property owners will be able to apply for money to repair building fronts, to restore lost architectural features such as original windows, fencing and decorative masonry, or to bring empty space back into use.

The scheme will include a programme of events and activities to promote a wider understanding of the history of the area and its buildings.

For more information, or to book a place on the lime repointing sessions, e-mail the project team at:

[email protected]

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Hidden-factory-courtyard-historic-heart-Leicester/story-26487610-detail/story.html#ixzz3ZwET1ijy 

Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook