Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

Leicester should do more to develop the canal through the city, make it a more pleasant place to be, develop it more, river-side cafes etc, even river taxis down to the KP on match days. My dad lives on a narrow boat and they all just pass straight through the city, not safe to moor up anywhere really. The one place you can moor reasonably safely is in castle gardens on the opposite side to the tow path, although a friend of my dads moored up there one night and someone had a dump over the bridge near to the holiday inn and pebble-dashed the top of his boat lol  

If you wanted to go out to a few nice bars that are not filled with Kids and banging Dance Music in Leicester where would you guys recommend? I'm going for a night out with some friend's all in our 30's and haven't had a night out in Leicester in a long time.

In the past we have been to a Vodka bar think it was called Revolutions? and a few bars on the High Street just further up from the Indoor shopping centre, also a strip club that i have forgotten the name of but was on Belgrave Rd.

Taps, Queen of Bradgate, Rutland and Derby, Brewdog, this new jazz bar in st martins place that I don't know the name of, it might not be new. Maybe cafe bruxelles but it's a bit dreary.

Edited by Unabomber
  • Like 1

The Obar in Braunstone Gate up for sale

By IFrodsham  |  Posted: June 17, 2015

10297895-large.jpg

Obar in Braunstone Gate

Comments (0)

A popular bar and restaurant in Leicester's Braunstone Gate has been put on the market.

The Obar, which is owned by the Orange Tree Group, is being sold because the bar and Smokehouse restaurant have outgrown the site.

The venue was originally opened as a late night bar in 2001, but since last year, the bar has been home to an upstairs barbecue restaurant.

Ben Hings, group director at the Orange Tree Group, which is based in the city, said: "We launched Smokehouse as a pop-up restaurant initially, and it traded so well that we decided to make it a permanent feature in March last year.

"The soul food concept is on trend at the moment, and the restaurant is doing really well, but we currently have 25 covers (tables) at the moment, and on Friday and Saturday evenings we're having to turn people away.

"Therefore, the site is not big enough for us to continue there.

"We know the Smokehouse concept works and so we want to take that and possibly the bar to another location, which could be in Leicestershire or somewhere else. It all depends on the new location."

The Obar is available freehold and offers are being sought in the region of £450,000.

As part of the sale, the Obar logo is not included but the option to keep the bar as the Obar and Smokehouse is available for negotiation. Around 20 people currently work at Obar.

Ben said: "We opened The Obar in 2001 and over the years it has done very well.

"But what you've got to do in any industry is look at the different trends that are happening.

"More people are eating out nowadays and the barbecue scene is very popular."

Anthony Barnes, of Fleurets, said: "The Obar is an established destination for both drinking and dining. It's close to De Montfort University and the densely residential districts lying in this vicinity are popular with young professionals and students."

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Obar-Braunstone-Gate-sale/story-26713406-detail/story.html#ixzz3dJaMj6eE 

Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

I know it's an unfair comparison, but I visited the center of Cambridge today, and it's places like this that really make you realise how shit Leicester is.

More impressive architecture, no empty outlets, cleaner, more attractive women (this is fact), doesn't seem to be racial ghettos, no tramps, better laid out for buses and cyclists. But the weirdest thing is that everybody seemed to be smiling. Leicester is full of right miserable bastards.

Yeah but the cost of car parking is ludicrous.

£12 for 2 hrs!!

Footbridge spanning Leicester's Holiday Inn traffic island to be dismantled

By danjmartin  |  Posted: June 18, 2015

10308424-large.jpg

Sir Peter on the doomed Harvey Walk bridge

Comments (1)

A footbridge spanning one of Leicester's busiest traffic islands is set to be pulled down this autumn.

Leicester City Council wants to remove Harvey Walk - which takes people over St Nicholas' Circle.

It has submitted plans to dismantle the walkway, which passes between the Holiday Inn hotel and the NCP car park.

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby says the elevated right of way will be replaced with surface level crossings on the north and south side of the traffic island.

•  

The work is part of a £1.7 million revamp of the area which has already included creating a new cycle lanes and footpaths by Castle Gardens.

Sir Peter has said the new pedestrian crossings will not affect the traffic flows around the junction, which is used by about 2,000 vehicles an hour.

He said: "It will be phased along with existing traffic lights so it will have the same capacity as before."

Sir Peter said the existing bridge was in places coming away from the car park it is attached to.

He said: "I am very surprised it was not condemned years ago. "Very few people use it any more and it feels like you are taking your life in your hands when you go up there.

"It is not pleasant to go along there squeezing between the Holiday Inn and the multi-storey car park.

"There is no actual access to the car park from there.

"It has been there for decades and is quite a blot on the landscape."

A city council spokesman said the bridge would come down in September or October. The work will require an overnight road closure.

The new crossings follow at some point next year.

He said: "We are in discussions with the new owners of Holiday Inn, and NCP, to agree a design and expect to start work on the proposed footway and crossings next year."

Not everybody will pleased to see Harvey Walk go however. When the idea of removing it was first outlined last year several people contacted the Mercury to say they liked the aerial view it provides of the city's Roman remains and Jewry Wall.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Footbridge-spanning-Leicester-s-Holiday-Inn/story-26722699-detail/story.html#ixzz3dQ1VglTD 

Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

'Sir Peter on the doomed Harvey Walk bridge'

The bits in bold are quite ironic.

It seems that Soullessby is trying to renovate many Leicester area, but ones that have divided opinions.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

I dont get it. Is he trying to get rid of the bridge so we can have traffic lights and a walkway at the bottom instead? Because surely the point of the bridge is to avoid having any cars at the bottom stopping for people. 

Rather surprised by number one, doesn't really seem historic as it's a brand in many places.

Also surprised that the 'castle' in Bradgate Park is not on the list, if it's classified as listed itself. :dunno:

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Rather surprised by number one, doesn't really seem historic as it's a brand in many places.

Also surprised that the 'castle' in Bradgate Park is not on the list, if it's classified as listed itself. :dunno:

Firstly, it's not a countdown of the best listed buildings is Leicestershire, it's just a list of buildings you might not know are listed.

Secondly, I'm assuming you're referring to the petrol station when you mention the one you think is number one. It's not Esso that's a listed building, it's that petrol station. So who whoever ran it, it'd still be listed.

Lastly, as it's not a countdown and just a list of buildings you might not realise are listed, that might explain why more obvious ones aren't included, such as Old John at Bradgate Park.

Aren't the Thais interested in buying the Holiday Inn there?

This was according to a couple of people I'd normally see at the football.

That would be the Holiday Inn next to the stadium I'd think.

Apparently it was the one on Nicholas Circle, as the Thais wanted/want a big 'base' if they had business clients/guests they were due to see in Leicester.

Edited by Wymeswold fox