Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2013/14 Stuff it in here!

Read in the paper this morning that Arsenal are in for Rooney. A couple of tidy buys and I can see them being right up there.

Palace, Hull and Stoke to go down for me.

I reckon Hull will survive to be honest, Steve Bruce is much more reliable than Malcky Mackay. So I would say Palace, Cardiff and Stoke for me

For me, it will be two of the three promoted teams to go down along with Stoke. Cardiff will fare the best I feel, they have that little bit of extra quality than the other two at the moment, so I think they'll stay up by the skin of their teeth. For Stoke, they just lack all over the pitch and with Mark Hughes at the helm, I just think it spells danger.

Will be hotly contested this season at the top I think. Man Utd will be challengers as always, Chelsea have the Special One back and Man City are likely to reshape their entire squad. I actually think Arsenal will do very well this season and think they could even challenge. If they start anywhere near to how they finished last season and keep all their players fit, then they will do well. I've seen reports that Ivan Gazidis is prepared to give Wenger up to £70m to spend and I think they'll be looking to spend a lot of that, now that their stadium repayments are finishing and they've shifted some deadweights. Spurs' season all depends on whether they keep Gareth Bale really. Or, if they do lose him, how fast they can reinvest the money they receive back into the squad. 

Would like to see Liverpool back up challenging for a Champions League place as well. I rate Brendan Rodgers and the job he's doing up there and think that, on their day, they could beat anyone in that league. It was just their wild inconsistency that was the problem last season. I reckon the surprise of the season will be Villa. Lots of good young players that have now bedded in and with a few more players here and there I think they'll be a pretty solid team.

Seems to be a popular opinion that Arsenal will challenge for the title this season. I'm not so sure.

As there squad is at the moment I don't think they have enough quality all round.

Let me put it this way, if you could pick 11 players from the premier league squads now would any Arsenal player be in there? Cazorla maybe for some but I personally wouldn't.

This coupled with Wenger's reluctance to splash out on proven quality makes me think it's just going to be another season of underachievement for the gunners.

Chelsea, Man city, spurs (to an extent) and United are only a couple of players away from being the real deal, for me Arsenal are 5 or 6 away

Isn't that Fernandinho an attacking midfielder? How many do they want?

I would have thought they'd be in for a new centre half first.

Spend £47million already and it's only just June. No wonder the Premier League has no competition.

Arsenal say they will spend big every summer, but they never do. They will be the same as ever, shit for the first part of the season, out of all the cups early, and then scrape top 4 near the end of the season to keep the fans from lynching Wenger.

As for Spurs and Liverpool, they can improve all they want, there just isn't any room to squeeze into the top 4 imo. The top 3 are streets ahead and Arsenal always do enough in the end. Can't see Martinez keeping Everton in the top 6.

At the bottom, I'd say the promoted 3 will all come back down but there's so much dross near the bottom I don't think it's that hard to stay up. Norwich, Stoke and Sunderland will all be banging on the trapdoor

Seems to be a popular opinion that Arsenal will challenge for the title this season. I'm not so sure.

As there squad is at the moment I don't think they have enough quality all round.

Let me put it this way, if you could pick 11 players from the premier league squads now would any Arsenal player be in there? Cazorla maybe for some but I personally wouldn't.

This coupled with Wenger's reluctance to splash out on proven quality makes me think it's just going to be another season of underachievement for the gunners.

Chelsea, Man city, spurs (to an extent) and United are only a couple of players away from being the real deal, for me Arsenal are 5 or 6 away

I wouldn't say 5 or 6 away, maybe one stand out player in each of defence, midfield and attack and they'll be there. They had a lot of injury problems last season, as well as previous seasons. Wilshere being absent for a lot of the season was a big miss, as well as Walcott, Podolski, Diaby, Szczesny and Gibbs at various stages. 

But I agree that until they do actually splash some cash, they'll never challenge near to the likes of the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea. 

I wouldn't say 5 or 6 away, maybe one stand out player in each of defence, midfield and attack and they'll be there. They had a lot of injury problems last season, as well as previous seasons. Wilshere being absent for a lot of the season was a big miss, as well as Walcott, Podolski, Diaby, Szczesny and Gibbs at various stages.

But I agree that until they do actually splash some cash, they'll never challenge near to the likes of the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea.

Ok maybe 5 or 6 is a slight exaggeration

And it will be the same next season. Either it's the way they train or the players they buy but their players consistently drop like flies and I don't know how that will change.

Isn't that Fernandinho an attacking midfielder? How many do they want?

I would have thought they'd be in for a new centre half first.

Spend £47million already and it's only just June. No wonder the Premier League has no competition.

He's a defensive mid.

They're in for Pepe, Isco, Cavani and Tiago apparently.

This really makes no sense.

lol what?

I meant that Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United all spend lots of money constantly so they are streets ahead of the likes of Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool who won't/can't spend that much. When Arsenal used to win the title, they never used to spend a lot - They still have the best team I've ever seen imo - and the likes of Pires, Henry, Vieira, Bergkamp were all somewhat cheap and define value for money, where as Manchester United would always spend £15-£20million on a player.

In terms of me posting 'there's no competition', well that spending means on Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United actually compete for the title. Obviously our division isn't better, but at least there's about 10-15 teams that challenge for the title/promotion.

And it will be the same next season. Either it's the way they train or the players they buy but their players consistently drop like flies and I don't know how that will change.

Maybe a witch doctor?  :D

Not to mention Arsenal don't have the mentality to win the league. They would fold like a cheap suit in a title race.

There's one problem with saying a team like Arsenal have no player who would make the other top teams, and that is that football is a team game. Most people at the start of last season would have said Vermalen was Arsenal's best defender. Individually he probably is, but Koschielny and Mertersacker have formed a formidable partnership and he can't get a look in. So that's just one example of where they might not have the best players, and might not even be using their own best players, but on a whole have the best unit, or one of the better units, in the league.

Villa are a another example, very average last season, but the front three when played together could be devastating. If I asked which of those three would make it into a top team, most people would only say Benteke. So again average players who wouldn't get into other teams linking up well and producing the goods.

Sometimes the best players don't make the best teams.

1. Chelsea; Think they'll have too much about them.

2. Man Utd; Won't drop out the top 4 like some think but I think Moyes has been unlucky in the fact a big spending Mourinho has returned. He'd have pissed it last year.

3. Man City; Don't fancy them to be as good as the other two.

4. Tottenham; Make stronger steps in the right direction than Arsenal and will qualify for the 'Champions' League.

5. Arsenal; Finally finishing outside the top four and Wenger is sacked.

6. Liverpool; They'll make strong signings but the loss of Suarez will keep them behind the others.

7. Aston Villa; This year's surprise package for me. They have an enthusiastic team builder in Lambert.

8. Everton; Martinez to make a very strong impression after selling the over-rated Fellaini and replacing him with superior footballers.

9. Fulham; Think they'll improve after last year.

10. Norwich City; Got a decent manager and I fancy them to improve.

11. Southampton; See Norwich.

12. Swansea City; 12th wouldn't be a disgrace but I think the Europa League will take its toll on them.

13. Sunderland; Meh.

14. West Ham; See Sunderland.

15. Newcastle United; Think Pardew will be sacked and they'll survive late on.

16. West Brom; Fancy them to struggle this year. They've had a dreadful 2013.

17. Cardiff City; Just keep themselves up on the final day. I rate Mackay, he's an effective manager.

18. Hull City; Won't have enough to stay up but will give it a good go.

19. Stoke City; Don't fancy them under Hughes to do anything other than drop.

20. Crystal Palace; I honestly think it'd be a miracle if these stayed up. They're without a doubt the worst side I have ever seen promoted from the Championship and they've just lost Zaha as well. It'll take some serious building under a manager who has frankly, a very average record for his club. They'll get the lowest points total in years for me and won't win an away game all season.

Archived