Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dickov22

Dave Richards- new chairman?

So it's 14 years since he was chairman of a football club.

Well...in that 14 years he has been chairman of the PL, served on committees of UEFA and FIFA and been part of the 2018 World Cup bid. It's not like he's been doing the bingo for 14 years.

To me, he seems massively experienced and we have probably done pretty well to have got such a high profile and well connected chairman. And if Shef Weds fans don't like him, so what?

But I know I'm pissing in the wind by being rational about this.

Who wants to let reality get in the way of mass hysteria?

Hear hear

Well...in that 14 years he has been chairman of the PL, served on committees of UEFA and FIFA and been part of the 2018 World Cup bid.  It's not like he's been doing the bingo for 14 years.

To me, he seems massively experienced and we have probably done pretty well to have got such a high profile and well connected chairman.  And if Shef Weds fans don't like him, so what?

So he's been a member of what is effectively an old boys' club, two of the most corrupt organisations in world sport and a costly failure of a bid characterised by incompetence and naivety.

Not all experience is good experience.

Well...in that 14 years he has been chairman of the PL, served on committees of UEFA and FIFA and been part of the 2018 World Cup bid.  It's not like he's been doing the bingo for 14 years.

To me, he seems massively experienced and we have probably done pretty well to have got such a high profile and well connected chairman.  And if Shef Weds fans don't like him, so what?

panic-attack-symptoms.png

Wouldn't surprise me if Top's dad has finally got sick of him and given it to someone else. It's not like he's done a bang up job sanctioning transfers, etc.

Whilst I can't say I'm thrilled I'll give him a chance, no point in panicking.

So he's been a member of what is effectively an old boys' club, two of the most corrupt organisations in world sport and a costly failure of a bid characterised by incompetence and naivety.

Not all experience is good experience.

Yeah, he's really cocked up the PL in that time too, hasn't he?

He's obviously very well respected within the game.

By the way, didn't Greg Clarke preside over a period which saw us relegated from the PL and go into administration?

This is massively unfair on Greg Clarke, but if you wanted to view things entirely out of context, you could take these facts in isolation to support for view.

Maybe Wednesday fans are doing the same thing?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2343428/Sue-Barker-turns-WTA-invitation--CHARLES-SALE.html

Sir Dave Richards, who has retired as chairman of the Premier League at 70, has turned down the opportunity to become chairman of Leicester City. The Thai owners have been trying for a number of months to persuade Richards, who acts as a consultant to Thai football, to take the helm but he has finally declined. 

However, Richards' ally Terry Robinson, former Sheffield United chairman, will join Leicester in a director of football-style role. 

article-2343428-1A5EA6F4000005DC-577_634

Rejected: Sir Dave Richards has turned down the opportunity to become chairman at Leicester City

Richards, a former chairman of Sheffield Wednesday, had no wish to return to club football. But he does feel let down by PL clubs who unanimously voted to support the decision that he can no longer be a member of any FA committee despite becoming an FA vice-president. 

It is understood the PL didn’t want Richards to have any platform to upstage new chairman Anthony Fry, who is barely known within football.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2343428/Sue-Barker-turns-WTA-invitation--CHARLES-SALE.html#ixzz2WVsRtNNI 

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Is this guy Eric Bristow's long lost brother?

The vast majority on Foxestalk never cease to amaze me.

Yes, Sheffield Wednesday fans hate him.  They blame him for their eventual relegation from the Premier League and all the ills that befell then since.  In the same breath, they hail Mandaric as the saviour of their club.  So, they conveniently forget the fact that Richardson led them to the Premier League in the first place, in a similar manner to how many of us forget their 'saviour' is the man who let an untried Martin Allen spunk a few season's worth of money on rubbish and presided over a managerial merrigoround which resulted in Leicester being in League One for the first time in our history.

In other words, fans are not reliable judges of professionals in football.

If anyone is planning any protests, count me out.  It doesn't mean the Thais are leaving, it doesn't mean we are going to go into meltdown, it just means something different is happening.

I am content to rise above the nonsense and wait to see what happens.  And anyway, according to the Mail, he has turned it down anyway.

But Mandaric has genuinely not done that bad a job at Wednesday. Mandaric at Leicester is nowhere near as bad as this bloke sounds.

But Mandaric has genuinely not done that bad a job at Wednesday. Mandaric at Leicester is nowhere near as bad as this bloke sounds.

Mandaric at Leicester led us to footballing ruin but financial solidity. 

This bloke might not even do that.

Mandaric at Leicester led us to footballing ruin but financial solidity. 

This bloke might not even do that.

It did but it was under Mandaric we got back up and into the play-offs.

However it was also Mandaric that let Pearson walk.

In other words, it's all a matter of perspective.

Wednesday fans have decided to hate this bloke and blame him for a whole sorry episode in their history.  Is this fair?  Probably not.  I don't know the ins and outs of their history but I suspect there were many factors which led to their demise.

After Wednesday, he has presided over a period of PL history, which, much as many might hate it, has become a hugely successful world wide phenomenon.

Are we really going to throw our teddies over some bitter Wednesday fans or because he fell in a fountain?

Some perspective please.

Im no expert on Sheffield Wednesday but didnt this guy take over when they were a strong top 4 side challenging for trophies and to then employ David Pleat  :blink: to leave them broke and heading for relegation, i would hate to think he would have a hand in employing future managers worrying times! 

Dave Richards is to Sheffield Wednesday fans as Dennis Wise is to Leicester City fans.

You don't stir up that level of vitriol without making the most almighty cock-up, and that's being kind.

Probably best not to comment on it then!

I think I will comment.

A big change is afoot at MY football club and, as per usual, many fans appear to want to go into meltdown with very little reason in my opinion.  Sheffield Wednesday fans don't like this bloke, I get that.  I also don't trust it.  I don't have an awful lot of faith in football fans making reasoned and informed decisions on their clubs.  They tend to let their emotions run riot.

So what are your motivations for being here?  Is it genuine concern?  I doubt that very much.  Either you want justification for your own vilification of this bloke, or worse, you just want to fuel dissent and what will be a rival club next season.

The wheels may have fallen off Sheffield Wednesday in the late 90s.  However they were well and truly glued on during the period Richards was chairman, from 1989 until 1999, as Wednesday spent most of their time in the top flight, registered at least one top four finish and won the League Cup during that period.  

The reasons for Wednesdays demise were probably numerous, but don't let this get in the way of your lazy scapegoating.

I think I will comment.

A big change is afoot at MY football club and, as per usual, many fans appear to want to go into meltdown with very little reason in my opinion. Sheffield Wednesday fans don't like this bloke, I get that. I also don't trust it. I don't have an awful lot of faith in football fans making reasoned and informed decisions on their clubs. They tend to let their emotions run riot.

So what are your motivations for being here? Is it genuine concern? I doubt that very much. Either you want justification for your own vilification of this bloke, or worse, you just want to fuel dissent and what will be a rival club next season.

The wheels may have fallen off Sheffield Wednesday in the late 90s. However they were well and truly glued on during the period Richards was chairman, from 1989 until 1999, as Wednesday spent most of their time in the top flight, registered at least one top four finish and won the League Cup during that period.

The reasons for Wednesdays demise were probably numerous, but don't let this get in the way of your lazy scapegoating.

Oh I don't blame you one bit for commenting on your football club and the changes being made

My point was there's no point in commenting on my football clubs history (Richards era) when you clearly said you didn't know the ins and outs of it

I posted a link with a number of balances views on about Richards on a topic started by a Leicester fan on a Wednesday forum that I thought might be of interest to some members, I clearly don't think it'll be a wise move and hope he does reject it because I like Leicester, a proper club.

I know exactly what Dave Richards did to my football club and I'm absolutely gutted he'll be chairman at Leicester

It is interesting that the Thai's are looking for a new chairman. The fact they are going for high profile shows they may not have learnt their Sven lesson, but I guess he does have experience, although I'm not really sure what you would look for in a chairman. I'm not going to write him off based on what Wednesday fans think, remember the bitter crap we got from Reading fans when we signed Mills... Ok bad example.

When he ruined SW was he the owner or just the chairman?

Having said that I won't write him off I think he will be under a lot more scrutiny due to his past.

What I am more interested in is why we are looking for a new chairman and director of football, how is this going to save us money and improve us on the pitch?

Was this the reason for Nigel's bad mood after being told he was keeping his job? The fact he will have to work with a director of football? What does a director of football actually do? If he is going to negotiate contracts and transfer fees, and pull out of a deal when it becomes too much, then I say that it is about 3 years too late for that, what else will he do?

I won't get too worried about this appointment yet, now if i start seeing strange changes at LCFC in the coming months then that could change....

Archived