Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Chris Wood

As i said in the other thread - yesterday The key moment, for me, was wood coming off for Nugent. Woods movement was limited and we were predictable first half. With Nugent on his movement opened gaps behind for vardy. The pace of the game changed and we looked like a very good side. First half we were static up front. For me Wood needs to step it up now, I think he has ability but didn't impress yesterday and again for me bottled a few challenges.

That said I think wood has ability and is capable of scoring goals but form is the result of effort. If wood is struggling to get his performances right he needs to put himself about a bit more and come short if required.

I like Wood and think he will be our top goalscorer this season if we play to his strengths.

I can see Nugent, Wood and Vardy being our prolific 3 this season, Waggy will probably be sold or loaned and Schluup will probably play a more left sided role.

I think wood is suffering the Leicester curse. He was good when we signed him. Scored a good few and looked lively. Injury interrupted that and confidence drained away.

He's a good player but I think it might be half a season before we see the best of him.

To be fair to Wood, his strenghts come from his technical play, not physical like vardy and nuge for instance.

Yesterday, he had very little creative players around him. There was no schlupp, knocky, dyer, marshall etc. When we play with some of these more attacking threats at home i am sure wood will get many more chances.

And as some people have said launching the ball in the air to him will do no favours. Van Persie is a tall lad, but that does not mean that he is good in the air. He has trained at a premier league club throughout his career, they practice taking the ball to feet and to their chest, not in the air.

Wood is capable of bullying defenders, but the ball needs to be played either into his chest or his feet, as shown at home to bolton last year where he changed the game around. He is probably the best striker we have technically, so we need to play to his strengths.

Pearson said yesterday that we played to Vardy's strenghts, and considering the fact that there are the opposite to wood there is no surprise he was the poorer of the two strikers.

Weve had plenty of big strikers who are good in the air! Kermagants best strength was his heading. Stevie Howard was good on the floor but better in the air IMO, he was a beast! Also Brian Deane scored quite a few headers for us, a bullet Vs Coventry and another top class looping header vs Preston.

Wood is awful in the air..he has all the height you need but even a smaller guy will win the header vs him if he doesnt jump..Nugent at about 5ft 11 is much better in the air than 6ft 4 Wood. Id even say Vardy is better than Wood as Wood has showed nothing in terms of headering ability except missing a sitter I could of put in vs Wolves last season.

He must improve, I like the lad but hes anonoymous for most games and has a piss poor first touch and is awful at holding up the ball.

Guest CityFan 06

Thing is he wasn't getting any service at boro so it was difficult for him to get in the game. I'm sure he'll bounce back to good form once the service from other players is provided.

Thing is he wasn't getting any service at boro so it was difficult for him to get in the game. I'm sure he'll bounce back to good form once the service from other players is provided.

Yep there is no point in us pinging long balls to him that's not his style of play, I think we will see the best of him when we are playing at home or when the ball is played to his feet. We know he is capable of scoring if given the right service as he bagged 20 goals last season.

Chris Wood could be so much more of a threat if he learnt how to head a ball, which would make him so much more unpredictable and at the same time, much more complete as a footballer.

Maybe he'll stop shying away from long balls soon enough...

For a big man Chris wood can move about very fast and I can't think of many big strikers who are technically gifted with the ball at their feet.

When he first arrived we got it into him, he spun and ran at defences. Now we seem to play it high and he wants it at his feet. You can't expect him to run with the ball if he has to bring it out of the air and then bring the ball upto pace to get past defenders.

Play it into feet. Play it quick and allow him a few shots from range without getting on his back. One of them suddenly goes in and (in my eyes) he has a similar burst of confidence as Danny Drinkwater got in the Middlesborough game. A Chris Wood on the goals is a Chris Wood staying on the goals. Give him a chance and some backing and he'll get 20+

He is poor in the air and not particular mobile, pretty useless as a target man whether played in on the floor or in the air.

He appears to be the kind of player that would thrive on short balls played in and around the box, hardly classic city style, in modern times at least.

I know NFP paid good money for him but in general, given the way we play, I would prefer a front two of Nugent + Vardy or Schlupp.

You'd prefer to try unproven goal scoring strikers over a player (still young and learning) who scored 22 last year?

Depending on our style of play, yes.

if we continue to play the rubbish 'direct' style that was the norm in the second half of last season then I can not see Wood scoring on any kind of a regular basis.

How many did he score from February to the end of the season?

Depending on our style of play, yes.

if we continue to play the rubbish 'direct' style that was the norm in the second half of last season then I can not see Wood scoring on any kind of a regular basis.

How many did he score from February to the end of the season?

I have no idea how many he scored, but the whole team were not scoring. I believe M Keane probably scored the most in all of that time yet I don't believe we should give up hope because we have lost him.

Direct football is not Wood's strength as is it not Leicester's either!

Chris Wood is a poacher. I've said it a lot of times now but my theory of our downfall last year was that Wood was being used as a target man, our main outlet - and he just isn't one. He's the best finisher at the club, easily, but his all-round game leaves a lot to be desired.

In-fact, watching his attempts at playing as a target man makes me seriously appreciate Steve Howard.

I am not sure how many of you went on saturday but I did so here are my thoughs

first of all fair play to him for coming out  and saying he did not play well.. although he has not played well for a while.. and its easier to say I did not play well and I will put it right.. actions speak louder than words

IMO he is struggling, he got decent service but he does not appear to be able to jump, his movement was poor and his touch on saturday was poor.. what type of striker is he? is he a big target man.. if so he cant hold the ball up or flick it on... is he a goal poacher.. if so on saturday he movement did not reflect that..

there is something wrong, I am not sure what it is but his body language does not look right

I hope he comes good but at the minute I will bet that Vardy and Nugent start on Sunday so he is now playing catch up.

thats my point of view from what I have actually seen... not heard on commentary or hearsay

We didn't do too bad last year considering in the last few days we've been told by various people that Wood is shit, Vardy is shit apart from against Boro, De Laet can't defend for shit, Konchesky has lost his legs and is shit, SSL and Whitbread are liabilities and Drinkwater is also shit... oh and Knockaert is overrated and shit. lol

Oh yeah, and Pearson is shit.

We didn't do too bad last year considering in the last few days we've been told by various people that Wood is shit, Vardy is shit apart from against Boro, De Laet can't defend for shit, Konchesky has lost his legs and is shit, SSL and Whitbread are liabilities and Drinkwater is also shit... oh and Knockaert is overrated and shit. lol

Oh yeah, and Pearson is shit.

Hi not sure where that came from.. not me i actually dont think wood is shit but there is something wrong and there has been for a while.

And in the first half on saturday we were shit.. but second half we completely changed and played great.

Hi not sure where that came from.. not me i actually dont think wood is shit but there is something wrong and there has been for a while.

And in the first half on saturday we were shit.. but second half we completely changed and played great.

It wasn't aimed at you, hence me not quoting you. It was just a general observation on how so many of our players have been rubbished of late, by different people admittedly.

Yep fair point and fine... it always great that people slag off the players when they probably dont even go..however sometimes Wood being a casing point, that for some reason are playing well below par and look like they are not up for it.. it was really funny on saturday that the only time Wood made a real run was just as Nugent was standing on the side line ready to come on...

anyway I really hope he comes good.

@officialcwood: Time to watch the mrs play. I'm sure she will play better then I did yesterday. Can't wait for Tuesday to get out there and put it right.

Fair enough! Would help if we played it to his feet more.

Fair play there. Good on him.

Anyone who says Wood is no good with the ball just lumped up to him obviously didn't see our game at Millwall last season. Where they did precisely that all game and he totally bullied us out of the game. Whether he fancies himself as something more than a bruiser here, or is injured, or just can't be bothered, I have no idea. But it was one of the best performances I saw against us last season.

Archived