Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Chris Wood

What are people's thoughts on Wood? How do you think he'll do next season?

I was really disappointed by Wood towards the back end of the season. It wasn't just the fact that he wasn't scoring a hatful of goals, he just didn't really contribute much when I saw him.

You're always guaranteed 15 goals from Nugent but if we are going to be challenging for promotion we will need someone else to score 20+. Is Wood the man? I hope so but I do have a sense of pessimism.

I DON'T want to watch us playing too much hoofball this season.

It's boring and so basic in today's game.

I'd rather we get the ball down, keep it and play more along the floor.

I don't think the presence of Wood encourages this.

However, we know he can score goals.

It's a tough one. Pearson will play him I have no doubt. But it's a shame we haven't progressed to a smoother, slicker game where the front two are slipped through by an intelligent attacking midfielder, to exploit their pace.

If its gonna be another 'get the ball out wide to lob it into the box in some hope of getting on the end of it' type of season, then I'm disappointed.

I DON'T want to watch us playing too much hoofball this season.

It's boring and so basic in today's game.

I'd rather we get the ball down, keep it and play more along the floor.

I don't think the presence of Wood encourages this.

However, we know he can score goals.

It's a tough one. Pearson will play him I have no doubt. But it's a shame we haven't progressed to a smoother, slicker game where the front two are slipped through by an intelligent attacking midfielder, to exploit their pace.

If its gonna be another 'get the ball out wide to lob it into the box in some hope of getting on the end of it' type of season, then I'm disappointed.

It's ok if the balls into the box from wide positions are from Marshall, Dyer or Knocky deep in their half, but towards the end of the season it was RDL and Konchesky pumping it in from nearer the halfway line. Panic station crossing that is easy to defend against and not to Nugent or Woods strengths.

Yes I agree we miss an Izzet or Scholes type of player that can put balls through with perfect weight and timing.

Can anyone think of a player in the championship last year from opposing teams that could do this to great affect?

It would help to know if he was carrying an injury or not towards the end of the season as some suggest. ... but personally I rate him and think he could form a good partnership with nugent this season

We'll never know exactly, but he was never the same after that 'minor' knee injury and from what I've heard he was playing with pain killing injections for the remainder of the season, which isn't going to help you play your best football.

I think if he's fully recovered and fully fit, we'll see the Chris Wood who impressed us all so much in January.

We'll never know exactly, but he was never the same after that 'minor' knee injury and from what I've heard he was playing with pain killing injections for the remainder of the season, which isn't going to help you play your best football.

I think if he's fully recovered and fully fit, we'll see the Chris Wood who impressed us all so much in January.

Yeah let's hope so

Also, in his first 4 or 5 games when he was on fire we played some great football which is why I don't buy into it when some people say we can only play direct with him in the team

It's ok if the balls into the box from wide positions are from Marshall, Dyer or Knocky deep in their half, but towards the end of the season it was RDL and Konchesky pumping it in from nearer the halfway line. Panic station crossing that is easy to defend against and not to Nugent or Woods strengths.

Yes I agree we miss an Izzet or Scholes type of player that can put balls through with perfect weight and timing.

Can anyone think of a player in the championship last year from opposing teams that could do this to great affect?

Tom Ince, Chris Eagles, Andy Reid (fat fooker), Grant Leadbitter, Andrea Orlandi... There's 5 for a kick-off.

Our top 'assister' in fact, was Ben Marshall... The man that nobody seems to want to include.

No you don't, look at last years scoring charts... it would help though.

yep,tend to agree with this,believe we were on a par if not better than most around us last season.However we do need more goals from set pieces,corners.This has been woeful for a few seasons and a contribution from other areas of the field could make all the difference especially away from home,where goals were harder to come by.

Not a fan to be honest, barring a few excellent games (Huddersfield, Bristol City and Bolton) I think he's been largely quite shit. He seems to wander around doing nothing for most of the game, he fails to even bother jumping for any sort of challenge in the air 9 times out of 10 and his first touch is dreadful. 

I'd be delighted if he improved and I am proven wrong, but he seems like a bang average striker to me.

I've heard similar, apparently from a reliable source. It was even said that Pearson may have forced him to play with pain killers which is why Wood's attitude became less than enthusiastic. Whatever it was, we all know something went on. Let's just hope it is sorted because I believe Chris Wood will get better and better.

His goalscoring record at this level does speak for itself.

I like Wood and he has the ability to score 20 goals, no doubt. However, he (and Nugent) needs the quality service from midfield, and that's the question. 

Eagles, Marshall, Abdi, Orlandi, W Hughes

I think he looked good when we were playing the football, but for me when we reverted to the long ball game he struggled, because for me, even though he is a big lad he's not a target man, and struggles in the air.

The amount of times kasper constantly smashed the ball up to the forwards last season, and lost us possession, because it doesn't suit are strikers style of play.

His goalscoring record at this level does speak for itself.

I like Wood and he has the ability to score 20 goals, no doubt. However, he (and Nugent) needs the quality service from midfield, and that's the question.

It's not the quality that is lacking, it's because James and King have so much work to do they cannot defend and attack as well. If we continue with 3-5-2 then we will be fine. One/two CDM's with one/two CAM's so our midfield will be fine.

Just need that balance of defence and attack.

It's not the quality that is lacking, it's because James and King have so much work to do they cannot defend and attack as well. If we continue with 3-5-2 then we will be fine. One/two CDM's with one/two CAM's so our midfield will be fine.

Just need that balance of defence and attack.

Spot on!

Archived