Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Chris Wood

I've heard similar, apparently from a reliable source. It was even said that Pearson may have forced him to play with pain killers which is why Wood's attitude became less than enthusiastic. Whatever it was, we all know something went on. Let's just hope it is sorted because I believe Chris Wood will get better and better.

I don't think Pearson forced him - I don't think you could force someone to injured if they don't want to - I just think we needed him, he realised that and wanted to keep playing, but he couldn't hit the same heights while playing with the injections. Shame, but like you say - hopefully it's all sorted now and he can get back to how he was playing when he first signed.

He looks more of a finisher than a team player, in that his link-up play has been quite poor (even on the ground where he seems far more comfortable).

We'll probably need to create chances for him rather than he creates them for himself, in a way maybe Nugent does, and I hope we don't bomb the ball up to him, looks less than comfortable in the air so we'd just waste him doing that.

He looks more of a finisher than a team player, in that his link-up play has been quite poor (even on the ground where he seems far more comfortable).

We'll probably need to create chances for him rather than he creates them for himself, in a way maybe Nugent does, and I hope we don't bomb the ball up to him, looks less than comfortable in the air so we'd just waste him doing that.

He might not take people on in the way Nuge would, but I think he can create things for himself in other ways. Quite a few games his control and strength were fantastic to hold people off and get shots/passes away that I don't think any of our other strikers could.  Then it all vanished and neither he or Nuge could trap a bag of cement.

Even his link up play was great to start with, the first few games him and Nuge looked like they had played together for years. One twos, great movement, little flicks to each other, then again it all came crashing down.

I've never rated him, if his scoring record continues I'll take it but I think his all-round game is dreadful.

I disagree, for his size he gets about a bit and when he first signed his first touch looked absolutely sublime.

If he is given consistently good service I think he could score 20+ goals for us this season. But I don't think he has what it takes to be a really top striker. Am I the only one that has noticed his awkward flat footed running style?

What are people's thoughts on Wood? How do you think he'll do next season?

I was really disappointed by Wood towards the back end of the season. It wasn't just the fact that he wasn't scoring a hatful of goals, he just didn't really contribute much when I saw him.

You're always guaranteed 15 goals from Nugent but if we are going to be challenging for promotion we will need someone else to score 20+. Is Wood the man? I hope so but I do have a sense of pessimism.

He looked back on form towards the end of last season. How he set dyers goal up v Bolton was amazing

Before his injury he looked like the missing piece to the jigsaw. Only negative was sometimes his first touch was a bit off. Other than that, good link up play and certainly knew how to score.

Post injury looked like a useless lump. He carried that knee injury from Feb- end of the season. I'm looking forward to seeing a fully fit Chris wood this season.

When he first came we were playing the ball and not humping it up field.  He has good awareness, can head the ball and reasonable control.  Also, he can score goals.  I really want him to be part of a passing team.  Don't forget he is still very young.

• 2 weeks later...

Vardy and Nugent to start V Leeds?

I'd definitely start these two. To be fair to Wood the service up to him yesterday was diabolical. He didn't win a single header when he was on the pitch, yet we continued to lump it long to him. It was hopeless. Wood's strength is with the ball at his feet. The other players need to learn not to get tempted to hoof it just cause we have a big striker up front, because it doesn't work.

Yann Kermorgant / Steve Howard

I didn't see enough of Kermorgant to know if he was good in the air, but wasn't big Stevie Howard another in the long list of tall Leicester strikers who prefers the ball to their feet?  

WOOD CAN'T JUMP!!!!

It's not his game. He wants the ball to his feet... Instead of that we've got our goalkeeper just launching balls at his head, that he isn't going to win. 

When he first joined and kept scoring (Huddersfield, Bristol City etc), we were playing freeflowing, attacking football - playing it to his feet.

I didn't see enough of Kermorgant to know if he was good in the air, but wasn't big Stevie Howard another in the long list of tall Leicester strikers who prefers the ball to their feet?

I think they were trying to highlight the fact that just because he was big doesn't mean he had to have it lumped up to him all the time.

@officialcwood: Time to watch the mrs play. I'm sure she will play better then I did yesterday. Can't wait for Tuesday to get out there and put it right.

Fair enough! Would help if we played it to his feet more.

Nice to see players saying things like this. Wood obviously is a quality striker and just needs to find form.

@officialcwood: Time to watch the mrs play. I'm sure she will play better then I did yesterday. Can't wait for Tuesday to get out there and put it right.

Fair enough! Would help if we played it to his feet more.

His girlfriend's last name is quality. 

Archived