Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Larry_LCFC

Wycombe Post Match Thread 2-1 VICTORY

A below par performance, with some players looking awful, and others looking good. I was getting worried until that late goal. Wycombe seemed to match us, and did get in our faces as expected, and put up a fair show for a league 2 team.

At least I can wear my shirt around the town now, without being reminded of that cup defeat we suffered some years ago.  :thumbup:  :jump: 

Firstly i think their number 18 was brilliant all game and we need to sign him up

Secondly don't you think dyer was worse than SSL as he just received the ball and lost all ability to run.

Well I'm glad your'e not manager then. I went with a Wycombe fan who goes every week, he said thats the best he's ever played. Apparently he rarely scores goals, one good game doesnt mean he's good enough. Apparently the guy most exciting in there team is Paris, he scored there goal at the weekend but only came on as a late sub. 

On a separate note, when stringer asked about Nugent's penalty Nige seemed a bit miffed he took it? He said he takes these penalty's very seriously and said he would have to discuss taking them with him. I personally want him to take them, but surely he should have told Nigel he wanted them? It could have got  a bit embarrassing as Wood clearly felt he was the designated taker, I think after the Watford game Nigel should have made it very clear who he wanted taking the penalty's.  

Here's a point too... Wood and Nugent cannot play together.

When wood first signed him and nugent seemed to play well together and seemed to have a good understanding between them

Well I'm glad your'e not manager then. I went with a Wycombe fan who goes every week, he said thats the best he's ever played. Apparently he rarely scores goals, one good game doesnt mean he's good enough. Apparently the guy most exciting in there team is Paris, he scored there goal at the weekend but only came on as a late sub. 

On a separate note, when stringer asked about Nugent's penalty Nige seemed a bit miffed he took it? He said he takes these penalty's very seriously and said he would have to discuss taking them with him. I personally want him to take them, but surely he should have told Nigel he wanted them? It could have got  a bit embarrassing as Wood clearly felt he was the designated taker, I think after the Watford game Nigel should have made it very clear who he wanted taking the penalty's.  

Also i wasn't seriously suggesting we signed him based on one game, however he certainly looked too good for all three defenders

It's quite simple, if we continue to hoof the ball and not play football then Wood will struggle, as will Nugent, as will Waghorn, as will Vardy, as will Schlupp. As will they all. Knockaert came on last night and we started to get the ball down and pass and miraculously we looked a different team and played like we might actually score and win. Wood and Nugent can play together, they showed this in the first 10+ games that Wood was here when they linked up incredibly well and scored some superb goals. Wood's 2nd vs Huddersfield and Nugent's winner vs Middlesborough being two off the top of my head.

Pearson should be going off his fookin nut everytime he see's our defence and goalkeeper resort to aimless hoofs in matches, i'm concerned we've started matches in this fashion. Last season it used to creep in after we'd played some quality football and often taken the lead and then nerves and caution had set in. This is essential that Pearson nips it in the bud for Wood and everyone's sake.

To be fair the team does seem to go more direct when wood is in for some reason, but both the team and wood do so much better when they knock it about, and play it to feet, and into the channels, very frustrating as a fan, but must frustrate the manager more if he isn't setting up to play like that, which I can't see why he would, as it's clear direct football doesn't suit us/ the players.

Same thing formation wise.

Similar but not identical I'd say, 3-4-1-2 there's a definite attacking playmaker in the hole behind the strikers, who doesn't track back as much. Of course you can have that attacking player in a 3-5-2, it's just not as definitive.

It's quite simple, if we continue to hoof the ball and not play football then Wood will struggle, as will Nugent, as will Waghorn, as will Vardy, as will Schlupp. As will they all. Knockaert came on last night and we started to get the ball down and pass and miraculously we looked a different team and played like we might actually score and win. Wood and Nugent can play together, they showed this in the first 10+ games that Wood was here when they linked up incredibly well and scored some superb goals. Wood's 2nd vs Huddersfield and Nugent's winner vs Middlesborough being two off the top of my head.

Pearson should be going off his fookin nut everytime he see's our defence and goalkeeper resort to aimless hoofs in matches, i'm concerned we've started matches in this fashion. Last season it used to creep in after we'd played some quality football and often taken the lead and then nerves and caution had set in. This is essential that Pearson nips it in the bud for Wood and everyone's sake.

Agreeing with not far off every word you're saying. Hoofball is shite even with a scrappy side, let alone one with more technical players than physical.

Keep saying it but Wood's height is sensationally deceiving.

Same thing formation wise.

As proven by us, it really, really isn't. Playing a flat three of Danns/James/King/Drinkwater (take any three) is not the same as playing two of them behind Knockaert. Completely different kettle of fish. We'll be slightly weaker defensively but we'll be far stronger going forward. No-one at the club plays the 'free role' even close to Knockaert's level.

Most of the above comments suggest Wood didn't have a good game. A friend's, (and Wycombe season ticket holder) first comment to me about Leicester was how impressed he was with Wood. He was always dangerous because of his physical presence -interesting to me a rival fan's perspective.

Wasn't at game but listened to commentary and impression I have is that players are still feeling their way with the formation and there's more positives than negatives! NPs interview was vastly improved as others have commented on, it appears he is addressing the areas like attitude in interviews , his team line up  and inability to change things and talk about them.Refreshingly honest and fair play to him :thumbup: Room for improvement yes, but two wins away is a pretty good start! COYB

Wasn't at game but listened to commentary and impression I have is that players are still feeling their way with the formation and there's more positives than negatives! NPs interview was vastly improved as others have commented on, it appears he is addressing the areas like attitude in interviews , his team line up and inability to change things and talk about them.Refreshingly honest and fair play to him :thumbup: Room for improvement yes, but two wins away is a pretty good start! COYB

Exactly this.

:thumbup:

Here's a point too... Wood and Nugent cannot play together.

Well that's just moronic, pal, sorry. They were practically telepathic in their first few games together. Looked wholly unbelievable.

Then the wheels fell off our entire wagon, not just their end.

Every word this. My biggest concerns all in a nutshell.

Well that's just moronic, pal, sorry. They were practically telepathic in their first few games together. Looked wholly unbelievable.

Then the wheels fell off our entire wagon, not just their end.

Yes, it's totally moronic of me to suggest that a partnership that didn't work from mid-February until now won't work. Have a medal, they tore apart Huddersfield (on Wood's debut against a horrendous Hudds side) and one stunning goal vs Middlesbrough but other than that nothing of note. Totally moronic of me :frusty:

Hey guys, first time been on today! Anyway got in at 12:45 last night! I set my alarm for 7am for training and what happens? I'm that tired I don't hear my alarm and by the time i wake up its 10:30 so i missed training! 

Anyway on the game itself,

To be honest it wasn't a classic, I felt our performance was similar to the first half against Middlesbrough pretty dull and our front two not creating much. Once again Chris Wood had a stinker, why didn't Vardy play? But anyway i've got to admit i think we we're lucky to get through. I felt we have to be glad that Wycombe weren't that good and i thought they looked disappointing, can't remember them testing Kasper much. Apart from when he at to pick the ball out of the net! 

Our defence looked alot more solid tonight, however remember we we're playing a league two side! Our midfield was erm... okay i suppose. Nice to see Danns back, played pretty solid. Again it was job done, so you can't moan too much but have growing concerns on our forwards!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKvrYMgu7SI

The running off the ball from the forward players is 1000x better than when Beckford was up front.

We're seeing intelligent runs into the channels, being prepared to have a defender go with you, but looking to give the man in possession a simple but constructive pass. It's about carefully making our way into a shooting position rather than trying anything too ambitious.

It certainly makes a pleasant change from seeing Beckford peel off the back of a defender, stand in 20 yards of space, but unfortunately be 65 yards away from the ball in a position that virtually nobody in the division would stand any chance of finding him in.

The running off the ball from the forward players is 1000x better than when Beckford was up front.

We're seeing intelligent runs into the channels, being prepared to have a defender go with you, but looking to give the man in possession a simple but constructive pass. It's about carefully making our way into a shooting position rather than trying anything too ambitious.

It certainly makes a pleasant change from seeing Beckford peel off the back of a defender, stand in 20 yards of space, but unfortunately be 65 yards away from the ball in a position that virtually nobody in the division would stand any chance of finding him in.

This is probably the strongest part of Nugent's game (along with instictive finishes).

Second half at Boro with Nugent's clever movement and Vardy's workrate their defenders didn't get a minute's peace and that's what won us the game. I would like to see Vardy and Nugent together against Leeds.

This...

Just watched the game on foxes player and don't get the criticism of Wood's performance at all. Didn't get many chances but he held it up really well and his link up play was good with some really incisive passes and caused their defence numerous problems.

Knockaert needs to be starting in the hole like he was as we started to carve them open much more with his creativity and some lovely one-twos with Dyer.

Hey guys, first time been on today! Anyway got in at 12:45 last night! I set my alarm for 7am for training and what happens? I'm that tired I don't hear my alarm and by the time i wake up its 10:30 so i missed training! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKvrYMgu7SI

I enjoy watching your videos but that sun! Ugh! Really washed out the colours. :(  I like to take my camera to games, reckon I've got around 800 photos from various away days, quite enjoy looking back over the events of the day. :)

I was lucky enough to get back at a decent time of 11:30 so I was ok. Latest I've ever got back from a game was 1:30 from Cardiff, didn't have anything the day after though so it was all cool! :D

I enjoy watching your videos but that sun! Ugh! Really washed out the colours. :( I like to take my camera to games, reckon I've got around 800 photos from various away days, quite enjoy looking back over the events of the day. :)

I was lucky enough to get back at a decent time of 11:30 so I was ok. Latest I've ever got back from a game was 1:30 from Cardiff, didn't have anything the day after though so it was all cool! :D

Back to Sheffield at half four after Yeovil with an exam at 9 was not the one.

Back to Sheffield at half four after Yeovil with an exam at 9 was not the one.

lol  lol  lol Hahahahahaha!

Hope you had fun one with that one! Was it Citizenship or something? One of those where you think 'nah fvck it, my life won't improve if I pass this shit' or was it something a little more important? :unsure:  :P

Archived