Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Larry_LCFC

Wycombe Post Match Thread 2-1 VICTORY

Met Nigel tonight, he is such a nice easy going bloke away from the camera. Im surprised nobody has mentioned Danns performance yet? I thought he was good tonight, added a bit of creativity to the midfield.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Matty James is looking very unfit?  

Just a ew points from tonight...

We rarely looked trouble at the back tonight apart from when it came down the left. St Ledger really didn't have a great game at all.

Knockaert was the difference when he came on in a central role, almost like a free role, he was a menace.

James looks off the pace, hopefully he can get back in the groove soon.

Our fans really can be a bit dumb.. Applauding Kuffours goal then chanting sign him up :frusty: Other than that a top performance from the fans, roll on Sunday.

Second round draw is on Thursday at 12:30pm shown live on Sky Sports News.

Have to agree with an above post about Danns, he put in a very good shift tonight, worked really hard throughout.

Matty James picked up a knock in the first half and that's why he wasn't up to standard. As soon as he was taken off in the second half he took off his right boot and socks and clearly had a problem with his ankle which he was pointing out to the City physio.

You're allowed to play a bit shit in a dodgy Tuesday night away game to lower league opposition, as long as you win.

You really can't argue with a 100% start from two away games, we haven't set the world alight but the important thing is getting the job done and settling everyone in to the season.

How many of the 800 extra tickets were sold at the gate last evening?

Impressive following nevertheless - must've been close to 1'200, yes?

EDIT: Just seen the number on the LCFC OS match report - 1'140 out of 3'158. :thumbup:

Good to get the win. Think the celebration of the winner was relief more than anything else!

We started well tonight and had our moments second half but weren't all that great for the rest of the time. But winning was the most important thing and we did that.

Some points:

Danns did ok, nothing special and he tried hard but he looked rusty. I say rusty although ball retention has always been one of his weak points so maybe that rust won't drop off with more games...

St Ledger was poor. Lost possession in some dangerous areas and his distribution was suspect at times. For what we're paying we really could do better and he's struggling in this system without two defenders either side of him. Morgan saved him more than once.

De Laet was uncharacteristically poor tonight, although I felt both wing backs struggled at times and seemed reluctant to really bomb on.

Kasper's distribution was back to its best. Some really good kicks, particularly first half.

As others have said, James wasn't up to standard (as he wasn't for larger parts at Boro). Maybe one who takes a while to get going in a season?!

Good support from our lot for a Tuesday night League Cup tie in Wycombe. Strange surroundings to watch a football match in though, felt like I was at a village fete!

Onto Leeds and whoever the draw throws at us next! Would be nice to continue this winning habit!

Enjoyed that :). I actually generally enjoyed the game itself. Usually I'm generally really nervous when watching Leicester but I just enjoyed tonight, most probably because it didn't have too much riding on it. I thought it was an exciting game and that's in large part thanks to Wycombe and the way the got stuck right in to our players. They made life very difficult for us (particularly Jo Kuffour who scored an excellent goal). There were also some tense moments towards the end and Morgan was quite possibly one of the main differences between winning and losing tonight. Fantastic defending at truly crucial moments. I think we had most of the ball in that second half although there is certainly room for improvement. Like someone previously said, it looks to me as though we're still getting used to this 3-5-2 system and I think today was a good test for us.

In the end though, it was a game that's relatively local (ish) to me, it was only £10 to get in, had free parking at the ground, really nice beer in the beer tent, we had unreserved seating which lead to a great atmosphere (those who wanted to sit could sit and those who wanted to stand could stand) and we even got a last minute goal! Also, some of the TREEEEEES comments were funny at times too. lol It was quite a strange ground but with a decent away end and I liked it overall.

Great evening! Thanks to all LCFC fans who helped to make it that.

A win is a win.

Poor first half, much better second. Dominated last 15-20 mins and had some great chances. Danns worked hard and had a decent game. St Ledger looked a bit lost at times but nice to get his goal. Seemed Dyer felt restrained in his LWB position, reluctant to run at them. The formation still needs work, lots of stray passes and lack of cutting edge at times.

All in all pleased with the victory and roll on Sunday...

I welcomed 2-5-2 in pre-season but that was horrible tonight. Didn't string more than 2 passes together before Knockaert came on. Eventually we started to get the ball down and play and we picked them off. Should have scored 3 or 4 in the last 20 minutes.

Early days but players are being wasted currently and unless we can get it working then sack it off and go back to a 4-4-2 or 4-3-1-2. Formations shouldn't prevent your team from passing the ball but for whatever reason we were only interested in launching the ball tonight.

Morgan made some ridiculous blocks, Moore was decent too. King was very composed when he had the chance and as soon as Knockaert came on and brought players in to play, Danns shone through.

A scrap, but we won.

Can't wait for Sunday now to be fair. IT'S BACK!!!!

On another note that kit is a nightmare, could barely pick out our players from the stand. 

It really is the most unfortunate shade in that it seems to blend in with greys, greens and browns. Can only hope the players moaned about it so we wear it as infrequently as possible.

I went tonight hoping to see some more of the fringe players.

What we ended up getting was a pretty much full strength first team outing.

First up, Danns tonight showed how useful he can be to our squad. He ran tirelessly and broke up their play well. In addition he played some nice passes and to me looked a couple of games off of being back to his best.

Secondly our 3 man back line. It split open 2/3 times for Wycombe in a manner that a gild edged quill written invitation and red carpet could not have offered. We looked shakey at the back and if we play like that against the better teams in our league we are going to get punished badly.

The wing backs thing also looks OK going forward but far less than OK when the other team come forward. De Laet and Dyer were caught up at times leaving huge spaces for the opposition to attack into.

Wood looks really badly out of form. Even his ball control seems to have deserted him. I'm not sure what we need to do with him right not but the lad badly needs something to get his season on track.

Nugent and Wood argued over who would take the penalty and I and the guy in front of me agreed that someone should have done the same with Knockeart just a few weeks ago.

Lastly to a 'fan' sat behind me.

I have no idea who the young lads were sat behind me, but one of them did nothing but moan about all our players and our team. At one point suggesting Dyer is a league one player etc etc blah blah moan moan.

If you inhabit this forum my advice to you is this: 1 Get yourself some decent glasses as you clearly aren't seeing the games too well. 2 Ask for an appointment with your GP to obtain some antidepressants. 3 If it's that shit don't go and save the rest of us the misery of listening to your bilge!

Thought King was brilliant tonight. Very composed on the ball and link up play well. Danns was busy and put in a good shift.

Not sure what NP told Dyer to do tonight but he almost seemed scared to attack players in this 3-5-2 formation.

Thought Wood was pretty poor in all honesty. Knockaert being the turning point as we started to dominate when he came on.

Everyone else did ok although some of SSL's passing...... lol

On another note that kit is a nightmare, could barely pick out our players from the stand. 

It really is the most unfortunate shade in that it seems to blend in with greys, greens and browns. Can only hope the players moaned about it so we wear it as infrequently as possible.

I agree, it made the game harder to follow also.

I like the kit but it's just not fit for purpose.

Oh p**s off you depressing p***k.

We won 2-1, we were thrashed by Burton last year but made the play-offs, this game will have nothing to do with how we will do this season, there will be much more effort in competitive games for a start.

At least we haven't lost to weaker teams like wolves, ipswich, and Brighton are losing at home to newport.

We lost to Northampton but beat Middlesboro, these games mean nothing.

This post is ridiculous.

I was there tonight - he's made a fair and valid criticism. It's a results business, but don't let that cloud the fact we looked no better than a side who finished 15th in League Two last season. There were plenty of things to criticise about tonights performance.

I'm glad we won but that tirade is a load of nonsense to be honest.

Just a ew points from tonight...

We rarely looked trouble at the back tonight apart from when it came down the left. St Ledger really didn't have a great game at all.

Knockaert was the difference when he came on in a central role, almost like a free role, he was a menace.

James looks off the pace, hopefully he can get back in the groove soon.

Our fans really can be a bit dumb.. Applauding Kuffours goal then chanting sign him up :frusty: Other than that a top performance from the fans, roll on Sunday.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with applauding an opponent, particularly in a game with as little riding on it as today. It was a great goal.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with applauding an opponent, particularly in a game with as little riding on it as today. It was a great goal.

Agreed, I went to Colchester v Peterborough and when Tomlin scored an absolute beauty the Colchester fans could do nothing but applaud. All of them.

Archived