Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RoxumJD

Hull City Tigers... Leicester City Foxes anyone?

Hull City AFC will be renamed Hull City Tigers, says club owner Assem Allam. The "Association Football Club" part of the Yorkshire club's name, which has been in effect since their formation in 1904, will be scrapped.

So how would people feel if we became Leicester City Foxes/ Leicester Foxes? Is it another case of football gone mad and owners not respecting a clubs history and heritage or is it a good idea if it makes more money for the club by attracting a global audience?

Thoughts?

It's not that big of a deal... it's their "affectionate" name in any case... and they keep their colours?  and their ground?

Us changing to Leicester City Foxes, wouldn't make any sense - From LCFC to LCFFC? Talk about making more work for yourself.

I'm sure both Cov and Cardiff fans are the ones either laughing or raging the most, directly at the Hull fans.  Cov's actual hardship is a far worse situation and Cardiff''s rebrand was massive!

Completely agree.

Would never want someone changing the identity of Leicester for such daft reasons... I definitely don't want Football (an English game) to become Americanised for financial incentives!! 

I really don't get this whole changing of a name to become more marketable business. You really telling me that millions of people are going to look at Hull's football team and start supporting them because their name is Hull Tigers rather than Hull City?!

It's nonsense. People will support a club either because they're from the place (in which case 'Hull City' is appropriate), because they have family ties to the club or because the club is successful (your glory hunters). Hell, you may even get someone support a club because a certain player plays for them, but I really don't think what comes after Hull is that big a deal. They'd be better off just going for a marquee signing than changing their name in a snub to their own history and traditions.

Bless them for trying but ultimately certain football clubs have a galss ceiling that will never be broken through because they don't have the support, the history or potential. Look at Wigan, they've tried to grow for the last 10 years to something bigger than they are but it's just never going to happen. Despite an FA Cup, years in the Premier League and having had some decent players, they can still only sell 5,500 tickets for the Community Shield at Wembley.

In 50 years time, Hull's football club will be very much similar to what it is now; average support, playing at an average level, with average players. A brief period of success may come but eventually the natural order will be restored and all that will be left that's different from now and before now is that they'll have 'Tigers' stuck on the end of their name. And they'll wonder why they ever even bothered changing, probably reverting back to 'City' in a vain attempt to regain the history that they're casting aside now.

I really don't get this whole changing of a name to become more marketable business. You really telling me that millions of people are going to look at Hull's football team and start supporting them

because their name is Hull Tigers rather than Hull City?!

It's nonsense. People will support a club either

because they're from the place (in which case 'Hull City' is appropriate), because they have family ties to the club or because the club is successful (your glory hunters). Hell, you may

even get someone support a club because a certain player plays for them, but I really don't think what comes after Hull is that big a deal. They'd be better off just going for a marquee signing than changing their name in a snub to their own history and traditions.

Bless them for trying but ultimately certain football clubs have a galss ceiling that will never be broken through because they don't have the

support, the history or potential. Look at Wigan, they've tried to grow for the last 10 years to something bigger than they are but it's just never going to happen. Despite an FA Cup, years in the

Premier League and having had some decent players, they can still only sell 5,500 tickets for the Community Shield at Wembley.

In 50 years time, Hull's football club will be very much similar to what it is now; average support, playing at an average level, with average players.

A brief period of success may come but eventually the natural order will be restored and all that will be left that's different from now and before now is that they'll have 'Tigers' stuck on the end of their name. And they'll wonder why they ever even bothered changing, probably reverting back to 'City' in a vain attempt to regain

the history that they're casting aside now.

Good post mate

Always Leicester City for me as well.

But not a massive deal. They've added their nickname onto the end, hardly disrespecting the history of the club is it? Plus, it's something different, there are obviously a lot of 'City' clubs like he says.

It's a step towards Americanisation. One which doesn't belong in the English game - Football in this country is traditional, and branding a club based on it's logo is something Americans do with their teams. I will be severely pissed off if in 20 years time our badge is a growling fox and we have a massive banner across our shirts that says FOXES. An idea almost as shit as Hull will be in the prem this year. 

Archived