Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

Lack of wingers

With Marshall now sold, I think it's fair to say we have something of a dearth of wingers at the club. Dyer is an out-and-out winger of course, but beyond that it's all a bit limited. 

Gallagher is no longer rated. Knockaert's best position is elsewhere. It could very easily come back to bite us on the backside.

So we need to look for players who can play out on t'wing, as they say in Yorkshire. Probably.

Jacob Mellis (Barnsley) 22 and signed after a loan spell at Chelsea, he came to the KP a couple of seasons ago and hammered us. Much like a certain Danny Drinkwater. It'd be no surprise if Pearson had his eye on him, especially seeing as he only signed a two year contract in 2012. Could be had cheaper than you might think, and acclimatised well in a Barnsley side that came within a hair's breadth of relegation.

Nick Powell (Manchester United) 19 years old but is already being tipped for big things by the press, as well as the boys who know. He had two very good years at Crewe, whose academy is respected across England, before being signed for £6m by Ferguson at the age of 18. He was recently linked with a loan move to Wigan, but perhaps Pearson's long standing relationship with Manchester United and success with easing their youngsters into first team football as with Cleverley and Keane could give us the edge over Owen Coyle's side.

Any more suggestions ladies and gents?

do we need proper wingers ?  

if pearson persists with a 3-5-2 then a more defensive winger/defender is called for  

on the left we have  konchesky and  schlupp  and on the right de laet and moore who played very well there when he had to 

should nigel feel the need to switch to a 4-4-2 then we have  on the left  dyer and schlupp  and on the right he would use knockeart and if he had to gallagher 

so basically we have 2 players for each position so maybe nigel wont bother with a replacement 

With Marshall now sold, I think it's fair to say we have something of a dearth of wingers at the club. Dyer is an out-and-out winger of course, but beyond that it's all a bit limited.

Gallagher is no longer rated. Knockaert's best position is elsewhere. It could very easily come back to bite us on the backside.

So we need to look for players who can play out on t'wing, as they say in Yorkshire. Probably.

Any more suggestions ladies and gents?

Do we need a whip round, thought the departures were to dip below FFP... Not to splash out on transfers or loan fees.

Marshall's best position is elsewhere.

I never thought Marshall was an out and out winger.

If we continue with 352 do we really need out and out wingers?

I debated the point a couple of years ago on here when Sven was manager, that we did need out and out wingers, and I slated him for not signing those players, but he was playing (and continued to play) a 442 system with central midfielders out wide (Danns especially, etc) which annoyed me.

However, I just feel that with us playing 352 now, Dyer is the out and out winger we can call upon when required. I do think Knockaert can do a job when needed in wide positions, the only issue being he doesn't defend as good as Marshall did, as well as sometimes drifting inside.

Our best bet would be loaning one if Pearson really wanted one, I'm not too bothered about us bringing an out and out winger in, especially considering FFP and our finances. Marc Albrighton is actually a very good shout by Leicesterpool imo. 

I'd like pace on both flanks.

In a 5-3-2, DeLaet provides it on the right, Schlupp left.

In a 4-4-2 there's Dyer left, but no orthodox, quick wide man on the right.

I've felt we needed one for a long time. Sven playing Danns there was WRONG and Marshall was just too slow.

So yes, I'd like a quick wide man on the right in a 4-4-2. We look so much better when we are going forward quickly.

I'd like pace on both flanks.

In a 5-3-2, DeLaet provides it on the right, Schlupp left.

In a 4-4-2 there's Dyer left, but no orthodox, quick wide man on the right.

I've felt we needed one for a long time. Sven playing Danns there was WRONG and Marshall was just too slow.

So yes, I'd like a quick wide man on the right in a 4-4-2. We look so much better when we are going forward quickly.

I know what you mean Dyer hugs the touch line and provides us with width and how he usually pops up for a goal is on the overlap. We need an Aaron Lennon type on the right.

Albrighton good enough shout, can't think of many wingers tbh, unless we pay a fee for one, someone like Will Buckley or James Henry.

We need a central midfielder though, if we can do a bit with Marshall's fee, I would bid for Shaun Williams from MK Dons, can play centre back, centre mid, and attacking mid, and was there player of the year last season. If not, then I would look at taking Adnan Januzaj or Tom Carroll on loan.

Archived