Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Long Eaton Fox

The Acadamy - Value for Money?

I suppose my point is, if the Acadamy costs £2m per year to run for example, we could buy an extra player for £1m every year scrap the Acadamy and still comply with FFP. Think I've been spelling academy wrong.

I don't think the academy is included in the FFP.

I suppose my point is, if the Acadamy costs £2m per year to run for example, we could buy an extra player for £1m every year scrap the Acadamy and still comply with FFP. Think I've been spelling academy wrong.

But then we wouldn't have king Moore Schluup Logan hooper who were all in the squad for our last game and this would have to buy 4 squad players to replace these guys. Also if we picked up serious amounts of injuries and suspensions we would have to buy/loan replacements.

Look at the big picture if we didn't have an accadamy we would spend more than 2 million a year bringing in other players, by having an acadamy we get theses squad players and every now and the a Heskey comes along and pays for 5 years of the acadamy.

But then we wouldn't have king Moore Schluup Logan hooper who were all in the squad for our last game and this would have to buy 4 squad players to replace these guys. Also if we picked up serious amounts of injuries and suspensions we would have to buy/loan replacements.

Look at the big picture if we didn't have an accadamy we would spend more than 2 million a year bringing in other players, by having an acadamy we get theses squad players and every now and the a Heskey comes along and pays for 5 years of the acadamy.

Since 2000 the fees of Heskey and Piper alone have brought in 14.5 million, averaged out more than a million a year. Add to that smaller fees for the likes of Gradel, Mattock etc and the value of King More and Schluup and I would say it has paid for itself.

We have had some bot only Leicester legends but genuine world class legends of the game developed at Leicester in our history For this alone I do not understand anyone's logic behind not wanting it.

So the consensus is that the academy is worthwhile. Although it is now cat 1 we still have to find these prospects from somewhere. Noticed the results are not so great now for the academy since playing the higher standard teams.

that's probably to be expected. But the experience of playing against better contemporaries will hopefully improve them. Also it gives our coaching team a good eye over possible players for transfers from more expensively put together academies. 

The benefits of being Cat 1 will take at least a couple of years before we see the real benefits coming through

We aren't going to bomb out 1/2 of the young lads and replace them with better players overnight because for one thing the new players will cost money

It will be a gradual change as the youngest lads decide to come to us rather than Forest,Derby,Coventry etc because we are Cat 1 and have the best coaches,pitches,players etc etc

Guest MattP

Any club who has no interest in their academy is no good for the game.

Too right.

There are plenty of young players around who should develop enough to play at the standard Leicester City does.

If it isn't providing value for money get rid of the scouts and the coaches, not the academy.

We also got fees for:

Matt Heath - Nominal

Jordan Stewart - 125,000

Stuart Campbell - 200,000 

Tommy Wright - 50,000

Lawrie Dudfield 250,000

No Fee but played a significant number of games:

Stuart Wilson free played 22 games

Stef Oakes  free but played 71 games

Neil Lewis free 64 games

Levi Porter 39 games

I'm sure I'm missing more, but my memory ain't what it used to be.

Probably got some sell on fees as well for the likes of Heskey.

The other thing with players that come through the academy is that there tends to be more hunger and commitment from these players as they are Leicester through and through. I for one would much rather we bring players through like Moore than buying players from elsewhere because you know you'll get a good shift from your academy lads

Easily value for money. Like having a high possibility of gold in your own back garden and asking whether its worth investing in a spade to dig it up.

Sadly due to EPPP this will no longer be the case for clubs without cat one status. Just because it hasn't yet happened to us, doesn't mean we should forget about this disgraceful bit of corruption in the game.

Archived