Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jimmeh

Why do clubs never approach us for Nigel Pearson

Why have you no doubt that Pearson could keep Sunderland up but Gus can't? If you look at their records as manager they are very similar, with Gus obviously being a bit more high profile which owners tend to get excited about.

Because the way he wants to play football will take a while to adapt to for Sunderland. I think by the time he gets them going it will be too late. Im certain they will go down. Obviously the football played under Pearson isn't the best and it isn't like Brighton played under Poyet but it is more effective, especially if you dont have the players for it.

I don't think the majority of English managers are as good as their foreign conterparts, too many years playing 'English' football.

The general consensus seems to be that we need to start again from the grass roots upwards, when those player become managers we may have people who appreciate playing the ball on the floor.

Being foreign does seem to be the in-thing nowadays. I must admit I actually spoke in support of Girard in the other thread but I definitely think there's a fad at the minute to get a foreign man in.

Mourinho started it, the media have ridden him so hard everyone wants a guy with sexy looks and a armani suit on the touchline now. Hence the often ridiculously veiled jibes at Pearson's trainers.

We were all taken in as well. We lost Nigel and the Mercury and club convinced us it was great. Out went the ugly football, long ball, 80's hoof.

In came Paulo, sexy footballer, the man who taught Guardiola everything he knows, have you seen his Champions League medals?

I'll never forget this piece of extrement by that ass licking buffoon Tanner.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/special/story-12062924-detail/story.html#axzz2hnkEIu1d

Being foreign does seem to be the in-thing nowadays. I must admit I actually spoke in support of Girard in the other thread but I definitely think there's a fad at the minute to get a foreign man in.

They seem to be more well-educated and flexible with their approaches.

Also, the top clubs want managers who win trophies, they probably look at most in this country who sack off the cups in the first game to finish 16th in the Premier League and think they don't have the right mentality to win trophies.

Also, the top clubs want managers who win trophies, they probably look at most in this country who sack off the cups in the first game to finish 16th in the Premier League and think they don't have the right mentality to win trophies.

Only because we only report their methods, Pearson puts loads into the sports science side of the football here yet no one ever seems to mention it. If that was Paulo Sousa it would have been splased all over the back pages about how modern he is.

I agree that the general standard in the rest of western Europe is better than England, but MattP is spot on, it's become cool to love something because it's foreign.

I quite like a foreign touch (like Knockaert) and I think they're coached to play a far better style of football overseas, but we're losing our identity because of it. 4 out of the 20 Premier league clubs are managed by Englishmen. FOUR. I bet only your joke leagues like Qatar and UAE will have a figure that embarrassing.

Only because we only report their methods, Pearson puts loads into the sports science side of the football here yet no one ever seems to mention it. If that was Paulo Sousa it would have been splased all over the back pages about how modern he is.

Of course, not all English/ British coaches are backwards thinking, hoof it old-school types, they have adapted to modern advances in technology. Not all foreign managers are suave, slick, total football implementing genuises either.

I'd certainly rather have Nige than Sousa or Di Canio. But a lot of it is to do with mentality, especially at the top clubs.

Probably because he isn't good enough to manage in the top league, and he's still struggling here.

Not to mention another catastrophe if he's in charge of another group of high profile players earning more than him etc, doesn't suit his management style.

If you take a look at his managerial stats compared to others he really isn't that bad, infact his win ratio is a lot better than other managers in the league.

Like Poyet or Di Canio?

Agree with this but tbh I'd say Di Canio was an average league 1 manager. His Swindon side looked a little shaky in league 1. Both Poyet and Di Canio are dictatorial and arrogant and got found out at Brighton and Sunderland respectively. British managers like NP, Malky Mackay, Chris Hughton and Nigel Adkins are the best outside of the top proven foreign managers. Wish some teams would stick to British routes more and glad we are a team that does.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind he would keep Sunderland in the premiership. Is it because he is 'boring' he doesn't get recognition from premiership clubs.

I've been surprised too that a Prem club haven't looked at Nige (assuming they haven't?)

It could well be that he doesn't come across as sufficiently 'dynamic' (for want of a better word).

Poyet, for example, has played for a number of Prem clubs, has international experience etc.

Funny thing is, I'd choose Pearson over Poyet any day.

Pearson reminds me of an 'old school' manager and his image maybe just isn't 'fashionable' enough in modern day football. Just shows that we live in a time where image reigns over substance. IMO.

It's funny as well that a lot of these managers seem to be appointed on the basis that they were great players - how many top, top managers were also world class players? Mourinho? Ferguson? Wenger? Clough? None really spring to mind.

Good point as usual buddy..

:thumbup:

It's funny as well that a lot of these managers seem to be appointed on the basis that they were great players - how many top, top managers were also world class players? Mourinho? Ferguson? Wenger? Clough? None really spring to mind.

Clough was an outstanding player who had his career cut short.

Beat me to it, incredible scoring record, 251 goals in 274 games, that is outstanding, I do wonder if he would have been the manager he was if he hadn't had his career cut short by injury, I guess we'll never know.

As for Pearson not being linked, a lot of these "links" and "stories" are spread by managers' agents when they are looking for another club, so that people know they are available. 

Why have you no doubt that Pearson could keep Sunderland up but Gus can't? If you look at their records as manager they are very similar, with Gus obviously being a bit more high profile which owners tend to get excited about.

No payoff or fuss either as he's unemployed, no brainer really.

Only won two England caps and never played for a top club, I think I'm right in saying he barely played in the top division either - extemely good goalscoring record, I'll give you that, but I'd hardly call him top class. Another thing to bear in mind is would he have been as good a manager if he hadn't been driven to succeed due to his career being cut short?

Only won two England caps and never played for a top club, I think I'm right in saying he barely played in the top division either - extemely good goalscoring record, I'll give you that, but I'd hardly call him top class. Another thing to bear in mind is would he have been as good a manager if he hadn't been driven to succeed due to his career being cut short?

Well I'll disagree with you about Clough.

Yo're right about othe managers but in the main I'm sure we'd all prefer it if a manager has also played at a decent level.

I think outside, looking in, people don't see the good work that he's done.

Everyone would have looked at us in League One and expected us to return, no-one would have seen the way he completely transformed us post-relegation in terms of the whole culture at the club. When we came back up and got into the play-offs is probably the most unexpected achievement he's had here but there have been a few others that have used the momentum of promotion and done the same or even better (Southampton). Likewise, the job that he has done since he returned has gone largely unnoticed and because he's quietly gone about his business shipping people out and bringing fresh players in - hence why we still haven't shaken the big spender/rich tag quite yet.

Pearson's very much a slowly but surely man and is not a headline-maker. I personally think the job that he did at Hull City has gone extremely unnoticed. In a year there he had shipped out their deadwood and built the young, hungry side that formed the foundation of a promotion-winning side. Bruce just had to come in, add a couple here and there and he'd got all the credit for getting Hull back up.

Well I'll disagree with you about Clough.

Yo're right about othe managers but in the main I'm sure we'd all prefer it if a manager has also played at a decent level.

I'm not denying he was a good player, just that he didn't really achieve all that he would have wanted in the game - obviously something which spurred him on into management.

It'd be nice if managers had playing experience, but there have been plenty of managers who've shown it's not always necessary, and plenty of managers who've shown that just because you were a good player, you won't necessarily be a good manager.

Archived