Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lovelcfc

pearson our most successful manager ever?

Never understand the claim that the PL is much tougher now than it was in 2000. We finished 8th that season and I'd have fancied the likes of Izzet, Lennon, Guppy, Collymore, Heskey, Elliott, Flowers as being more than a match for Southampton or Newcastle now. And Manchester United won the league that year, it was a year after they won the Champions League, I think the Scholes-Giggs-Beckham-Stam-Keane United side at its peak would have been more than good enough for today's game. After all, Giggs was a regular for the Premier League winners last year at the age of 39. There's little to suggest the game had left him behind.

We have one PL side in the Champions League semis this year, last year we didn't even have that. Over those 2 seasons there have been 3 German and 4 Spanish clubs involved at that stage. Whichever way you look at it, there's little to suggest that the PL is better than it was back then. And definitely no way of categorically proving it.

Who is claiming the strength of the prem league now and then.

NP has never managed us in the prem are you saying 2nd and 3rd tier football is the same as the prem.

NP has a great record but not in the top flight.

MON took us to 3 cup final winning 2 and playing in europe.

And 4 top 10 finishes in the prem and I do hope NP's prem record is better in 4 years time and he wins all 3 cup finals.

Also next season nige may be out of his depth (I for one really hope he is not) so after you have all voted him our best ever will this mean you won't be calling for his head if he gets it all wrong?

Who is claiming the strength of the prem league now and then.

NP has never managed us in the prem are you saying 2nd and 3rd tier football is the same as the prem.

NP has a great record but not in the top flight.

MON took us to 3 cup final winning 2 and playing in europe.

And 4 top 10 finishes in the prem and I do hope NP's prem record is better in 4 years time and he wins all 3 cup finals.

Also next season nige may be out of his depth (I for one really hope he is not) so after you have all voted him our best ever will this mean you won't be calling for his head if he gets it all wrong?

I was responding to a post which stated that the Premier League is stronger now than it was during the O'Neill era. I'm neither saying it is nor it isn't. I don't think you can.

And at no point have I suggested that Pearson is a better City manager than O'Neill. In fact I said precisely the opposite! He's done exceptionally well, taken City from the third tier to the first, but we'll have to see how it goes from here.

I would say not at the moment. O'Neil in terms of winning trophy's and taking us into Europe can't be bettered  as yet. But  With Nigel who knows ?  Lets be honest this season has been the biggest shock to nearly all of us, no one expected us to win the league and in such an emphatic style yet alone breaking all those records.

Next season will be the big test in comparing Nigel to Mon. Under mon we all wondered if the likes of Izzet, Lennon, Claridge  etc. would be good enough for the Premiership and thank god they were and then some. Next season will be the same, Will De Leat, James, Drinkwater, Vardy etc. be good enough ? I'm pretty confident they will be.  If Nigel can emulate what Mon did then given that he had to get us promoted twice he will be our greatest manager ever in my opinion.

Too much superbole on this forum at the moment, yes it has been a great season and we have a great manager, and one day he could be looked upon as the greatest, but to ask the question of a manager yet to manage us in the Prem and yet to win a major trophy is just ludicrous and a little bit tin pot if you ask me.

This is not knocking NP's achievements, you can only beat what is put in front of you, and he has the best win ratio of any Leicester manager, but lets see how he does next season before deciding he is better than cup winning managers, or managers that have finished in the top 10, or even top 2 in the country.

We all need to just calm down a bit, we have won the league, but next season is going to be tough, lets not succumb to delusions of grandeur once again.

You can only beat what's in front of you and Nige has done that to great effect over his four years here, but now he needs to make us a stable/solid Premier League club. Then maybe go for a trophy which can happen; just look at Hull. They only met one Premier League club on the way to the final of the FA Cup! 

It would have been nice to win the JPT when we were in League One. I wish he'd have done that.

He has lots of records:

Only Leicester manager to win the third tier,

Only Leicester manager to get to the Quarter finals of the JPT

Only Leicester manager to win the Football League.

Only manager to be more successful in his second spell than first spell with the club

If that doesn't clinch it then I don't know what will.

Made me smile

The one and only thing I hope for Nigel is that the strength of character he and his players have shown over the time he's been in charge gives him a stay of execution in the top flight. He might go on to be our best manager ever (and I think to destroy a division as we have is a different art entirely to what MON had), but only if we give him a bit of time to establish himself and us. 17th will do next year, then let's work out how we can have an impact on this league.

Too much superbole on this forum at the moment, yes it has been a great season and we have a great manager, and one day he could be looked upon as the greatest, but to ask the question of a manager yet to manage us in the Prem and yet to win a major trophy is just ludicrous and a little bit tin pot if you ask me.

This is not knocking NP's achievements, you can only beat what is put in front of you, and he has the best win ratio of any Leicester manager, but lets see how he does next season before deciding he is better than cup winning managers, or managers that have finished in the top 10, or even top 2 in the country.

We all need to just calm down a bit, we have won the league, but next season is going to be tough, lets not succumb to delusions of grandeur once again.

Isn't that American Football..?

Needs taking into perspective. Win percentage stats say he is the best. However, he has never won a game yet at premiership level. So until he does and emulates Mon's win percentage in the premier league then I personally still think Mon was the best. Nigel Pearson has done well though and should be congratulated especially for this season.

Isn't that American Football..?

This is not knocking NP's achievements, you can only beat what is put in front of you, and he has the best win ratio of any Leicester manager, but lets see how he does next season before deciding he is better than cup winning managers, or managers that have finished in the top 10, or even top 2 in the country.

Football League not a major trophy then?

Establish us as a top 10 premier league club for longer than Oneill, and win more cups than Oneill, then he will be the best manager we have ever had.

Martin Oneill's record and success for leicester will take some beating, bar far and away the best manager we have had in my memory as a city fan.

10pts - top ten prem finish

9pts - league cup win

8pts - league cup final

7pts - championship winners

6pts - premiership survival

5pts - championship promotion

4pts - league one winners

3pts - championship play off losers

MON = 10+10+10+10+9+9+8+6+5 = 75

NP = 7+4+3+3 = 17

There are differences between 'greatest manager' (probably Gilles) and 'most successful' (in terms of glory O'Neill, statistically Pearson). To be fair to Pearson he had a lot further to drag us than O'Neill. Ultimately all that matters is that he's taken us up two leagues in four full seasons

Archived