Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Has LCFC ever been in a better place?

I'm not just talking about footballing success here as we have clearly been higher, won the odd trophy etc. I'm speaking generally about the state of the club.

In footballing terms we have possibly my favourite ever squad, players who play for each other, brilliant technical ability, hard as nails and a good relationship (most of the time) with the fans. On top of that, statistically the best manager we've ever had, and although statistics can be deceiving he certainly has the potential to go on and bring the club more success than any previous manager.

Off the field, our owners are spectacular. They have learned from their early mistakes and allowed the team (playing and backroom) that's there to get on with their jobs, funding what they want to do as much as is necessary. On top of that, our facilities must be better than they have ever been due to the investment, and should we stay in the Premier League for a few years, there is the possibility of a stadium expansion as well. We are in the highest category of the EPPP which as flawed and unfair as it is, should allow our club to flourish from the youth upwards.

I've never known such a great feeling among the fans, the City, and even out in the County. The workplace banter has been so much fun this year as there's simply no decent comebacks for the opposition, sticking it to Man Utd fans has been great fun this season.

Perhaps I was a touch too young to appreciate the MON years as fully as I'm able to now, and other successful regimes were well before my time. In any case it would be interesting to hear if other people feel the same. I'm wary that peaks like this are so often followed by troughs so those who have been there, seen it and done it, it would be interesting to hear how you compare this with previous successes.

It just feels like the club now has the potential to go on to achieve great things, maybe I'm just getting carried away!

:pearson:

I think when we had a top first division team in the 70's was a better place than this. With 3 or 4 players in or around the England squad.

Weller, Wortho, Whitworth, Nish et al.

TBH we've still got a ways to go to matchg the Mon years of consecutive top half finishes and two league cups

Yes.

Filbert st.

But right now it does seem we are in a good place/heading in the right direction.

But that means sticking with np next year whatever happens.

For me he manages the club. Not just the team. He seems to have a long term view.

The biggest doubt I have is what happens with the ownership of the club. If that changes it could all go wrong.

We have the right background in which to operate. Owners who don't seem to want too much limelight, investment in the squad, hopefully sensible business decisions off the pitch to ensure no financial disaster should we come back down.

Also, it's worth remembering that O'Neill's success was against a backdrop of desperation for a new stadium, that is in place now and no longer hanging over us. With realistic moves, we are well set for a stable future.

I don't think we'll know how ready we are for the premier league until we begin the first game of the season. There's no doubt some strengthening needs to be done, there's an important transfer window coming up, if we can get it right then I think we really are in the best shape for a very very long time

We were once top of the Football Pyramid, with a young and up-coming manager who had been drafted in as England interim manager, Stan Collymore upfront, money in the bank, looked on course for an F.A Cup Final and a new stadium in the planning.

Strangely it all went downhill rapidly.

Apart from Gallagher and those becoming out of contract the squad is no longer burdened by unwanted players unlike 12 months ago, things look a lot tidier on that front which is a great starting point knowing your salary output is being maximised on the match day squad.

Let's pitch ourselves at Southampton or Swansea's level / status and not compare ourselves to Cardiff. If we end up more like a Stoke then so be it, the key will be to not have a terrible run at any stage.

Yes.

Filbert st.

But right now it does seem we are in a good place/heading in the right direction.

But that means sticking with np next year whatever happens.

For me he manages the club. Not just the team. He seems to have a long term view.

The biggest doubt I have is what happens with the ownership of the club. If that changes it could all go wrong.

The only change that's going to happen in that regard is Top taking over from his father.

They've said themselves that they have a long term goal to see Leicester as one of England's top clubs, and that monetary return isn't what spurs them on. Clearly they love the club and are here for the long run.

Stability is so important. Too often the criticism is that managers are not given sufficient time.

Not only did the owners not panic at the end of last season but they have invested in the facilities,backroom staff and supported NP's project.

They have been rewarded for their patience and support.I hope they have noted what happened to the PL sides who replaced their managers mid season.

The big thing here is that the WHOLE club is in a good place. Top to bottom from owners, management, quality of players through to the youth set up, we can aim high.

The MON years were brilliant for on the pitch drama and success but there was always the Pierpoint saga, not enough money and a ground that - brilliant as it was for big match atmosphere - couldn't grow with us. If Pearson can get us in a comfortable place next year he's going to be giving 96-99 a run for it's money.

I bloody hate Stoke but if we could emulate their reasonable success since they won promotion I'd be overjoyed. Stable finishes the majority of the time and a cup final thrown in for good measure would quite happily do for me.

we're in the best league in the world and are the 4th richest team in the premier league! Only Man City,Aresenal and Chelsea are debt free and have billionaire owners! So yeah we're in a pretty good position!

I believe we are at the beginning of the best chapter in the clubs history, considering all aspects of the club on and off the pitch.

People forget that Pearson replaced Holloway who was superseded by managers like Levein, Kelly, Megson, Allen, Worthington st al. He has single handedly transformed the club from our lowest point, and our revival began with his appointment. I have never felt so confident going into games as I do with Pearson. Definitely think we can at least finish mid table next year.

The club is being run properly, i'm glad to say it's being run by some ambitious, rich, football loving, knowledgeable owners. Compare them to what likes of Vincent Tan and Venkys how they've destroyed their clubs soul and spirit. 

Every so often a team goes up from the championship and exceeds all expectations ie Ipswich 5th 2001, Reading 8th 2007.

Ignore Forest in 1978 and Ipswich in 1962 both winning the league as being beyond credibility nowadays, but the law of averages if nothing else dictates it's not out of the question for a well-run well-organised club with talented hungry players and manager to come up and win 20+ games out of 38. Sooner or later it will happen again...

Archived