Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
adam1

2007/08 vs 2013/14 - A matter of defending or is it?

2007/08

Henderson

Stearman

McAuley

Kisnorbo

Joe Mattock

2013/14

Schmeichel

De Laet

Morgan

Moore

Konchesky

The question: without looking at the league tables, what difference is there between the amount of goals conceded between the 07/08 relegation team and the championship winning team of 13/14?

The back 5 that played in 07/08 wasn't disastrous. It was the 6 players that played in front of them that let us down.

As individuals, the 4 defenders all went to bigger/better clubs eventually. Henderson was okay.

EDIT: NOT Kisnorbo. He went to Leeds.

The back 5 that played in 07/08 wasn't disastrous. It was the 6 players that played in front of them that let us down.

As individuals, the 4 defenders all went to bigger/better clubs eventually. Henderson was okay.

Really?

Macauley has done ok. But the others?

Stearman back to back relegations. Twattock now at sheff weds. And kisnorbo. Leeds bigger maybe, better no.

The difference I think is in the strikeforce and wide ares. In 07/08 we were relying on the likes of Elvis Hammond, Barry Hayles and DJ Campbell to get the goals and 2 useless Bulgarians to get the crosses in! No wonder we went down!

Really?

Stearman back to back relegations. Twattock now at sheff weds. And kisnorbo. Leeds bigger maybe, better no.

Yeah, sorry, I should've been clearer... I was referring to the short-term. At the time, Macauley's move to WBA was a big improvement for him, Stearman played a good few years in the Premierleague and as for Mattock, he stayed with us a year before going to WBA. Admittedly, it didn't work out for him there but at the time it was seen as an improvement for him. I think I make sense.

Really?

For a bottom half team with not that much money, it wasn't bad at all, which showed in the fact we barely conceded goals. The midfield was particularly bad, though we did still have someone like Oakley in there. Again the strike force could have been alright, Hume wasn't that bad and second half of the season we had Howard, Pearson showed how well Fryatt and Howard could work together but they didn't really get the chance back then. We weren't all that bad and went down with a high points total but it's helped contribute to where we are today so it's not all bad

EDIT: NOT Kisnorbo. He went to Leeds.

Eh? West Brom, West Brom reserves, & Wolves?

Eh? West Brom, West Brom reserves, Wolves & Leeds reserves in league one?

Yes.

Stearman stayed in the Championship and subsequently achieved promotion into the Prem

Mattock stayed with us a year and then signed for WBA, hadn't they just gained promotion to the Prem? He left WBA, but at the time, he was seen as a good signing. Cost 1million pounds apparently.

Macauley went to WBA, he's spent the last several years in the Premierleague

Kisnorbo. Okay, I admit I was wrong there. But his post-Leicester career wasn't too bad.

2007/08

Henderson

Stearman

McAuley

Kisnorbo

Joe Mattock

2013/14

Schmeichel

De Laet

Morgan

Moore

Konchesky

The question: without looking at the league tables, what difference is there between the amount of goals conceded between the 07/08 relegation team and the championship winning team of 13/14?

The difference isn't the defence. It's the strikers.

Yes.

Stearman stayed in the Championship and subsequently achieved promotion into the Prem

Mattock stayed with us a year and then signed for WBA, hadn't they just gained promotion to the Prem? He left WBA, but at the time, he was seen as a good signing. Cost 1million pounds apparently.

Macauley went to WBA, he's spent the last several years in the Premierleague

Kisnorbo. Okay, I admit I was wrong there. But his post-Leicester career wasn't too bad.

Macauley has done well, Stearman did do well in the short term (especially considering his very limited ability) but the other two went on to worse things. And Stearman has been worse off for the last couple of years now.

They're hardly the success stories you suggested in the original post and certainly they didn't go to bigger and better clubs. They went to similar clubs who were doing better at the time.

The defence wasn't the problem that year but I don't think any of them are Premier League quality, I think Stearman, Mattock & Kisnorbo have always been midtable Championship.

That defence wasn't that bad at all

Stearman was an England u21 international

McAuley Norther Irish international

Kisnorbo Australian international

mattock England u21 international

I know Australia and another Ireland arnt footballing powerhouses but never the less they were international footballers, compare them with any of the back 4's that have been relegated this season and I think they are far better.

The problem that season was a god awful midfield and hollow heads shite tactics

The difference was the fact that the midfield 4/5 did not move and protected the back four at virtually every game, especially away when we seemed to want to play two left backs down the left and the other 8 outfield players were full backs too. The glory years. Maybury, Kenton, Chambers, N'Gotty, Stearman just a few of the right backs! How that team nearly won at Stamford Bridge i'll never know (still one of my favourite away games).

Our current defenders give more to the team though.

Although we were defensively solid, as an overall unit the 07/08 side were ineffective. This is because they couldn't create chances. It wasn't the strikers because Fryatt / Howard / Hume would have scored goals with the service they would have got from this team. We simply were not a balanced team. This team is far more balanced and capable of playing it out from the back. Look at Schemeichels distribution or Konchesky and De Laets runs down the wing. Compare them to Henderson, Stearman and Mattock. Whilst those three performed well they did not give is that added extra class.

Archived