Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dance4Life

Nick Powell

What do Wigan fans know.

More than we do since they've had him on loan all season.

He was a very exciting prospect but it's a concern I didn't really  notice him until late last season, and he didn't play in the play-offs (injured?).

Pearson knows what to look for in a young player, if he thinks Powell's the right route to go I trust him.

They didn't at all.

I'm more inclined to trust what Wigan fans say on Powell than what ours do.

Norwich fans said Whitbread was great, Watford fans said Drinkwater was rubbish, sone Leicester fans continued to think Beckford was brilliant until the second he left. Kane was garbage here and has been getting rave reviews from some.

I'm more inclined to trust our scouts.

This rumour is flying round the net on god knows how many different pages. It seems to be gathering pace. Would be a great signing and another ball on the floor, creative midfielder with youth on his side. Building for the future with talent, loving our philiopshy under Np :)

Norwich fans said Whitbread was great, Watford fans said Drinkwater was rubbish, sone Leicester fans continued to think Beckford was brilliant until the second he left. Kane was garbage here and has been getting rave reviews from some.

I'm more inclined to trust our scouts.

lol

:thumbup:

I think Powell will only get better so I'd like to see him join the club.

From when I've watched Powell for Wigan this season, which admittedly is only a few times, he's always seemed like he has a big ego and just strolls around the pitch and doesn't put in any hard work (especially defensively). He looks a talented lad but he reminded me of Harry Kane when he was here, full of himself and thinks he's better than he is. My step dad is a season ticket holder at Wigan and I just txt him to ask his opinion and he said hes a very gifted player but has a terrible attitude and thinks he's a star already which was exactly what I thought of him when I've seen him play. Not a Pearson kind of signing in my opinion

Where would he play though? Behind a lone striker?

Either in midfield or up front. His best position would probably be just behind the striker I would assume.

All depends on what formation Nigel uses.

Don't need him now, won't be good enough for the Premier League IMO.

Very bold to be so definitive.  I think you will have to eat those words.  Kid can play.  He will turn into a regular PL for someone if not us. 

Where would he play though? Behind a lone striker?

Sir Alex reckoned his eventual position would be an attacking midfielder like Lampard, and Dario Gradi (who is still a big part of the Crewe academy system, or at least still was during Powell's time there) said much the same. He was probably Wigan's best player under Coyle, basically was the difference between them and some embarrassments in the UEFA Cup games of theirs that I watched and he did that playing pretty much as a lone forward. 

From what I've seen of him, the player I'd most compare him to would be Le Tissier - has that lazy streak but he just knows that he's good and he could turn it on at any stage if he so chose. It's really just a question now of whether he can find the work ethic and application that anyone needs to become a regular Prem player now, never mind a Man Utd regular. But the talent is there, for sure.

Sir Alex reckoned his eventual position would be an attacking midfielder like Lampard, and Dario Gradi (who is still a big part of the Crewe academy system, or at least still was during Powell's time there) said much the same. He was probably Wigan's best player under Coyle, basically was the difference between them and some embarrassments in the UEFA Cup games of theirs that I watched and he did that playing pretty much as a lone forward.

From what I've seen of him, the player I'd most compare him to would be Le Tissier - has that lazy streak but he just knows that he's good and he could turn it on at any stage if he so chose. It's really just a question now of whether he can find the work ethic and application that anyone needs to become a regular Prem player now, never mind a Man Utd regular. But the talent is there, for sure.

A Le Tissier style player is a luxury we can't afford to squeeze into an 11 man team next season. It's gonna need everyone giving everything for us to succeed!

Arrested once for being intoxicated whilst driving. Stupid thing to do, but by no means descriptive of his overall persona.

With him being mates with Drinkwater and James and guided by Pearson, he could be a great asset and complete our central midfield.

Are you sure? Powell was never at United when they were.

A Le Tissier style player is a luxury we can't afford to squeeze into an 11 man team next season. It's gonna need everyone giving everything for us to succeed!

Haha - only the blinkered would turn down a Le Tissier. Just because people like Le Tiss didn't charge all over the pitch like wind-up toys didn't mean they were lazy. They were predatory players - people waiting for the particular moment when they strike the jugular.

Anyone who's seen Le Tissier play or watched the video of his goals will know what I mean. The man was a true artist during one of the most successful and most entertaining spells in Southampton's history.

Eric Cantona and Teddy Sheringham didn't race around either but most people would have welcomed them quickly enough. We're not going to survive in the Premiership by playing out a succession of bore draws. Indeed one of the reasons we got promoted was because we got over that and tried to win our away games.

At the higher level we'll need to score goals to survive and that will take someone clever enough to make and take chances against accomplished defenders.    

Haha - only the blinkered would turn down a Le Tissier. Just because people like Le Tiss didn't charge all over the pitch like wind-up toys didn't mean they were lazy. They were predatory players - people waiting for the particular moment when they strike the jugular.

Anyone who's seen Le Tissier play or watched the video of his goals will know what I mean. The man was a true artist during one of the most successful and most entertaining spells in Southampton's history.

Eric Cantona and Teddy Sheringham didn't race around either but most people would have welcomed them quickly enough. We're not going to survive in the Premiership by playing out a succession of bore draws. Indeed one of the reasons we got promoted was because we got over that and tried to win our away games.

At the higher level we'll need to score goals to survive and that will take someone clever enough to make and take chances against accomplished defenders.

To a certain degree I agree with you mate but those players were a very different level to Powell. Other than Le Tissier the players you mentioned were part of world class squads who could comfortably accomodate and pick up the slack of a team member who played that way. I agree that we need to attack and create plenty of chances but in the prem we'll need to find some middle ground where we have to dig deep and stay solid too. Maybe I'm guilty of thinking back to the O'Neill days where there were very few players who didn't run their balls off in every game.

Wigan fans reckon he's awful apparently.

Absolute boll*cks!!

I know plenty of Wigan fans (season ticket holders) and they all rate him very highly. Not only that, in the game against us, they were absolutely livid with Rossler for subbing Powell in the second half, as he was killing us (probably why Pearson is so interested), and letting us back into the game. Powell is a prem player in the making, of that there is no doubt.

Archived