Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grandad.

England Cricket 2014.

Guest MattP

Do you still think that English cricket is in a good place? I think it's fookin dire.

Much better now Col, what a difference a month makes.

Have to really take your hat off to Cook as well, he now seems to have learnt, we aren't leaking runs through third man, he's keen to get catchers in, the slips are moving up when needed and his bowling changes over the last 2 matches have been nothing short of perfect.

He could turn out to be a great captain for us, if he does it will be some comeback.

Just listening to TMS and they were mentioning how many matches England have until 2016. Something like 17 tests and 28 ODIs. Is there a possibility of players suffering burn-out? Are the authorities looking for more £££ at putting that at the expense of the health and well-being of the athletes??

Guest MattP

Just listening to TMS and they were mentioning how many matches England have until 2016. Something like 17 tests and 28 ODIs. Is there a possibility of players suffering burn-out? Are the authorities looking for more £££ at putting that at the expense of the health and well-being of the athletes??

I don't think that's too OTT at all, we've played 7 tests this summer, standard. Plus we have a very different side for the ODI's. We haven't got a single test until March 2014 after this, that's a bigger disgrace.

Great stuff now on the pitch, broken the backbone of the Indians, been a while since India have been scoring at 1.5 an over.

Much better now Col, what a difference a month makes.

Have to really take your hat off to Cook as well, he now seems to have learnt, we aren't leaking runs through third man, he's keen to get catchers in, the slips are moving up when needed and his bowling changes over the last 2 matches have been nothing short of perfect.

He could turn out to be a great captain for us, if he does it will be some comeback.

I hope after the Lord's debacle he has taken the Strauss Captaincy manual and ripped it up and started writing his own, I've noticed there has been no token over spin before lunch, and more aggressive fields set.

Like that Deeney goal became the making of Leicester, being humiliated at Lord's might have had the same effect on Cook, the Ashes were more or less written off as a disastrous tour and Sri Lanka we were very unlucky in both Tests, but the abject display against India at Lord's has given the players and Cook the kick up the arse they needed.

Cook still has a lot to learn, but now it looks like he is learning as a captain and not just trying to be Strauss mark 2.

Guest MattP

Very well put that Captain.

I'm absolutely delighted for Chris Woakes as well, bowled really well with no reward last two tests, his figures today give an accurate reflection of his performance. Definitely has gained an extra yard of pace.

I don't think that's too OTT at all, we've played 7 tests this summer, standard. Plus we have a very different side for the ODI's. We haven't got a single test until March 2014 after this, that's a bigger disgrace.

Great stuff now on the pitch, broken the backbone of the Indians, been a while since India have been scoring at 1.5 an over.

Usually though the last test finishes at the end of August? And the first test last year started in mid-May where as it was mid-June this year. So while we've had the same number of tests they've been crammed into 5 weeks less. Having the Sri Lanka ODIs before the tests has made it a bit of a weird schedule.

I agree about the lack of a Winter series. What a joke. And then next year we have a ridiculous schedule. Triangular series and the World Cup, then 10 test matches between mid April and September (WI, NZ, and Australia), then 3 in the UAE against Pakistan in October, then 4 in SA in December/January. Throw in the 20 ODIs and 5 T20s and January 2015-February 2016 is looking bonkers.

Having the Sri Lanka ODIs before the tests has made it a bit of a weird schedule.

I wish we'd play the ODIs against the Cons before the Ashes start. It'd add a bit of needle and take rivalries over into the Tests. I remember back in 2005 when it seemed to work well

Also, the ODIs against Australia last year were a bit 'after the lord mayor's show' and were a mere footnote of the summer.

I wish we'd play the ODIs against the Cons before the Ashes start. It'd add a bit of needle and take rivalries over into the Tests. I remember back in 2005 when it seemed to work well

Also, the ODIs against Australia last year were a bit 'after the lord mayor's show' and were a mere footnote of the summer.

Having the ODIs in front of the test is not weird. The fact that we did ODI then Tests for Sri Lanka then Tests followed by ODIs for India is the weird thing. I feel we should keep it consistent when they're that that close.

Guest MattP

Magnificent.

Complete destruction over 5 tests. Well done Cook, Moores and all the supporters who didn't panic and kept faith.

Anderson man of the series. Incredible opening bowling.

Jadeja running out Jimmy was unbelievable. A run that wasn't there and gifted Jadeja the last laugh.

:whistle: 

I think it's fair to say Jimmy had the last laugh  :D

I bet Piers Morgan is sick as a parrot!

Archived